Passing on First Down vs. TAMU and UGA

StatTiger

Well, You showed 20 plays (had two 9's and two 16's).  Play 17, which was your first play 16, was the only pass inside the hashes for a short gain on a hook sit down route.  All other plays were thrown outside the hashes.  Gus proved you can't win throwing the ball outside the hashes every stinking play.  If we don't throw the ball to the middle of the field (and hopefully hit a moving target instead of sit down route with our back to the end zone), we will continue to fail and not be able to sign recruits.  No one wants to play for a team afraid to throw the ball over the middle of the field or is scheming away from the middle of the field.  It is pretty simple.  Use the middle of the field in the passing game and things will start changing.  Otherwise we are a 6 to 8 win team.  It is beyond frustrating.  

• Like 3

with the rules changes last 6-8 yrs, the middle third is ripe for the picking.  Gus failed to realize this. or was too stubborn to change. he even abandoned the sit down routes in the middle.

3 hours ago, KillenTime said:

Well, You showed 20 plays (had two 9's and two 16's).  Play 17, which was your first play 16, was the only pass inside the hashes for a short gain on a hook sit down route.  All other plays were thrown outside the hashes.  Gus proved you can't win throwing the ball outside the hashes every stinking play.  If we don't throw the ball to the middle of the field (and hopefully hit a moving target instead of sit down route with our back to the end zone), we will continue to fail and not be able to sign recruits.  No one wants to play for a team afraid to throw the ball over the middle of the field or is scheming away from the middle of the field.  It is pretty simple.  Use the middle of the field in the passing game and things will start changing.  Otherwise we are a 6 to 8 win team.  It is beyond frustrating.  

I don’t know why we seem to never utilize the slant. Maybe my thinking is off but I felt like this was Freeze’s bread and butter.

I'll be the heretic and say IMHO ( except for Marshall & Nix) we haven't had a QB since Cam that had the smarts to be a tier one starting QB. 

On 10/6/2023 at 12:35 PM, KillenTime said:

Great post. Bama and UGA offenses (and many others) have fundamentally exploited the targeting rules to their advantage by attacking the middle of the field. Something AU has just not done successfully since I-don’t-know-when. It’s beyond frustrating to see the middle of the field be utilized in the vertical passing game over and over on Saturdays by anyone not named Auburn.