Interesting analysis...

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

I guess I'm confused. WWI 1914-1918. WW2 1939-1945.  Gulf War Aug 1990-Feb 1991. What am I missing?

Again, democracies can only do sustained wars if attacked first. Ww1-2 -> we were attacked, Persian gulf -> over quickly.  

The Ukrainian war is a complex subject and potentially has hit a stalemate and needs to be drawn down by both sides. However, the reason Putin stays the course is he believes the west/ democracies will lose resolve - and trump/maga substantiates that belief every time they talk.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Again, democracies can only do sustained wars if attacked first. Ww1-2 -> we were attacked, Persian gulf -> over quickly.  

The Ukrainian war is a complex subject and potentially has hit a stalemate and needs to be drawn down by both sides. However, the reason Putin stays the course is he believes the west/ democracies will lose resolve - and trump/maga substantiates that belief every time they talk.

Maybe it's the wording that throwing me off here, but multiple democracies fought in each of these wars that were prolonged or sustained if you will.  

2 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Maybe it's the wording that throwing me off here, but multiple democracies fought in each of these wars that were prolonged or sustained if you will.  

Democracies must be united and resolved to fight a war. Britain, France, ect were invaded - they kinda had to fight. The US stayed out until it was attacked. The Persian gulf war was over so quickly there was no time for public sentiment to change.

Side note. Making US foreign policy more complicated - maga has somehow decided that Russia is a Christian nation and Ukraine less so. Which is amazingly nuts backwards, but it is what it is. Combine that with maga supports Israel for obvious reasons - Crusades stuff. 

Religion is in play with both wars.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Democracies must be united and resolved to fight a war. Britain, France, ect were invaded - they kinda had to fight. The US stayed out until it was attacked. The Persian gulf war was over so quickly there was no time for public sentiment to change.

Side note. Making US foreign policy more complicated - maga has somehow decided that Russia is a Christian nation and Ukraine less so. Which is amazingly nuts backwards, but it is what it is. Combine that with maga supports Israel for obvious reasons - Crusades stuff. 

Religion is in play with both wars.

So back to my initial statement, democracies have been involved in prolonged wars and won them. Have to weed through the word salad, but arrive at the same place. Thanks for the civil discourse.