new commit

Erik81

Auburn added its ninth commitment for the class of 2005 from a big-time prospect on Wednesday in Fort Valley (Ga.) Peach County wide receiver Chris Slaughter.

Slaughter is Auburn's ninth verbal commitment for the class of 2006.

Slaughter, a four-star prospect and the nation's No. 17 wideout, picked the Tigers over a number of offers including Georgia, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Ole Miss, South Carolina and Louisville.

Commitments mean nothing. These kids change their mind and still have a whole high school season to play. Alot can change like, God forbid, and injury (see the Caudle kid as and example). As I have stated before, IMO early commitments are hyped way too much and should not even be news. I would like to see early commits go away period because they don't mean a thing until signing day.

Commitments mean nothing. These kids change their mind and still have a whole high school season to play. Alot can change like, God forbid, and injury (see the Caudle kid as and example). As I have stated before, IMO early commitments are hyped way too much and should not even be news. I would like to see early commits go away period because they don't mean a thing until signing day.

179397[/snapback]

then why did you open the link that says "new commit"? :D

179397[/snapback]

then why did you open the link that says "new commit"? :D

179400[/snapback]

To comment on the fact on how much I hate early commitments. :P

179397[/snapback]

On the most basic level you're right, ranger12. These commits can & do change their minds in a heartbeat. Still, I see all the commits we have right now as a barometer on the state of the program. I haven't been one to follow recruiting all that closely but I have a hard time remembering when we've gotten so many early commits. It's September and AU has 9 already. The quality ain't nothing to sneeze at either. Will we hang on to all of 'em? Probably not but still, it's a good sign to see so many blue chippers lining up so early to wear orange & blue. :thumbsup::au: WDE

Feel free to not be excited Ranger, but I am. Hopefully we can pick up Hawthorne also. Probably the first words I spoke after the loss. (those were at about 5am after my mind had settled) I said "So much for our recruiting" but I guess we're still doing ok. These receivers liked seeing us throw the ball. Maybe that's why we threw it 44 times?

Nobody said you can't get excited, but my point is you may be getting excited about nothing. As somebody who used to work with these high school players, I am looking it at from a point a view that is better for the kids, not for me to get excited. These kids have to still play a whole high school season. They have already been recruited like crazy. That puts alot of pressure on them. When they early commit, it actually puts more pressure on them then it takes away. How and why you may ask? Well, alot of the big schools pay not attention ot those early commits and actually will turn up the heat on their recruiting efforts. Add more pressure there. Then, what if they kid realizes he made a mistake on his early commit because he has now found another school he likes better? What if the kid has an even better season then predicted and another big school throws their hat into the ring and the kid likes that school better? Add more pressure of having to announce he has changed his mind. I can tell you that alot of high school coaches are not big fans of their players committing early also. It is hyped up too much. It is hyped up to get fans excited, as you guys stated. But, it should not be about the fans, but about the player. Loggerhead and kind of right about it being sort of a barometer of the program. Problem is, :au: also has a whole season to play and if we do not do good during that season, then the barometer will be useless because you will then see quite a few change their minds. Right now they are basing their decision off a 13-0 season. I get excited...when they put their name on that piece of paper that says they are coming to :au: !

WDE

I can see Ranger's points and they are well made BUT I've been around Auburn recruiting for over 50 years and I can tell you that early commits DO have a positive affect on the psychology of the prospects. Honey draws bee's , not vinegar! Moreover, the age of the internet has changed recruiting forever I'm afraid. Yes, some will change their mind but by and large, most will end up signing, and, it gives us something to talk about and bitch about.... :D:big::blink:

It seems to me, more often than not, recruits that commit to Auburn seem to always sign. Maybe a couple out of 100 change their minds and it seems like a big deal when it happens, but it seems like they usually do what they say.

Archived