Pre-Game video

AWK

I ask that anyone that emails him be respectful and copy Dr. Ricahrdson also:  president@auburn.edu, just as an emphasis.

181195[/snapback]

I'll see if being nice about it works first. If not, then I will have to get nasty about it. :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta agree...not very good this year.... :no:

:au::homer:

I must admit that the games just don't have the same pregame "feel" that they had last year. I was pumped for Georgia Tech, but then the band played tech's song, the eagle didn't circle the field and then the pre-kickoff video was extremely disappointing. I know as a fan I don't get as excited by the new additions (although the eagle thing was becasue of the ESPN camera wire across the field) but honestly I think that in our attempt to be classy we've killed excitement for our school. I also think that the pre-kickoff video is nowhere near as good as last years and it also doesn't get the crowd as fired up, so by the time we get ready to kickoff the energy seems to just about have leveled off...I doubt this will be a problem when Bama comes to town, but what about all the other games? I am starting to get frustrated with these changes, but what can you do? no one who can do anything seems to be willing to change things...oh well. :no:

Actually as an AlUm you can do a lot of things, e-mail and etc, Ive only be an Alumni for 5 months and ive had a little progress :cheer:

Well said wingsfan... While no aesthetic element can ever take away from the love and enthusiasm that I have for Auburn, I will admit that at the GA Tech game I was very disappointed in those elements. The momentum of the pre-game show just wasn't there, and it was 10 times worse at the MSU game. That was the quietest I have ever heard JHS in my life. I hope that despite what the band does or how the video looks that we as Auburn men and women will still yell until we lose our voices and stay until the band plays the Alma Mater at the end of the game no matter who the opponent is or what the score is on the scoreboard.

Anybody know where I can find the pregame video that we are using?

181167[/snapback]

ranger, I think Jenny started a thread a while back with link to the video all of us were anxiously waiting to see on the jumbo. It is to Eye of the Tiger and fairly lenghty, great clips of last year!!! and additional sound clips!! It will fire you up!!! I can try to e-mail it to you but it is like 19mb!!

181167[/snapback]

ranger, I think Jenny started a thread a while back with link to the video all of us were anxiously waiting to see on the jumbo. It is to Eye of the Tiger and fairly lenghty, great clips of last year!!! and additional sound clips!! It will fire you up!!! I can try to e-mail it to you but it is like 19mb!!

181270[/snapback]

Actually, thats not the video being used, If my memory serves me correctly, I posted that Link, It is an Awesome video though and shoulda been used, but maybe im mistaken :P

181167[/snapback]

181270[/snapback]

Actually, thats not the video being used, If my memory serves me correctly, I posted that Link, It is an Awesome video though and shoulda been used, but maybe im mistaken :P

181291[/snapback]

I know it's not being used, I was directing rnager to the one we all thought was going to be used and should have been used. It is a great clip!!!

Well said wingsfan... While no aesthetic element can ever take away from the love and enthusiasm that I have for Auburn, I will admit that at the GA Tech game I was very disappointed in those elements.  The momentum of the pre-game show just wasn't there, and it was 10 times worse at the MSU game.  That was the quietest I have ever heard JHS in my life.  I hope that despite what the band does or how the video looks that we as Auburn men and women will still yell until we lose our voices and stay until the band plays the Alma Mater at the end of the game no matter who the opponent is or what the score is on the scoreboard.

181260[/snapback]

Funny you should say that...I lose my voice at every game, to one degree or another. It's almost a tradition.... :)

:au::homer:

I don't know if I'd call the video "lame" but I'd probably call it mediocre.  It doesn't get me fired up like some of the past ones have...I still think one of the best ones they ever had was the one from a few years ago where they showed the Tiger walking past Toomers with nuclear explosions going on in the background.

180755[/snapback]

I remeember that video and I cant find it anywhere. Do you know where i can find that one??

I don't know if I'd call the video "lame" but I'd probably call it mediocre.  It doesn't get me fired up like some of the past ones have...I still think one of the best ones they ever had was the one from a few years ago where they showed the Tiger walking past Toomers with nuclear explosions going on in the background.

180755[/snapback]

I remeember that video and I cant find it anywhere. Do you know where i can find that one??

181340[/snapback]

You can thank me later :P

http://www.aunews.net/frmVideo.aspx

I too have been dissapointed with the pre-game ritual. The Video IS NOT thrilling, exciting,or emotional. It doesn't make you stand and cheer, make you scream and shout, make you do anything other than stand there and say - What? It is really weak compared to others - they should change it - can they? Or if they can - will they? The band playing the other team's fight song is not doing anything to pump up the crowd. I don't think we want to be that "classy" to the opposing team. Not rude, polite , but for heaven sake's don't play their song in OUR stadium! It is bad enough if you sit near the opposing team's band and have to hear it when they score anyway! Need more Tiger Growl - why won't they do these things! The atmosphere at the last two games have been a real downer!

Thanks guys, but I've got the one we were going to use. I am talking about the one that we are using now. Where can I find it to judge for myself?

You guys know, that as a veteran, I hate to you war references when it comes to sport. However, for the issue with the band playing the other schools fight song, a war analogy is all I could think of. When you are about to go to war with another country, you don't play their freakin' national anthem to be "classy" before you are about to do combat! So why would you play your opponents fight song to be "classy" when you are about to go bust heads with them on the field. You know, it is called a "fight song" for a reason. ;)

Here's my email to the pair:

I have been an Auburn fan since the day I was born. I have attended games at Jordan Hare Stadium every year since 1968. I have never been more displeased with anything on the field or off than I am with the practice of the Auburn University Marching Band playing the opposing team’s fight song prior to games.

I do not consider it an act of good sportsmanship, I consider it a direct slap in the face of the Auburn fans who love their Tigers. I personally find it offensive. It adds nothing to what is one of the country’s most dynamic pregame shows. In fact, it detracts considerably from the flow. It also takes the crowd out of the game almost immediately, which is, in my mind, a distraction for our beloved team.

I have heard from various sources that we began doing this because other bands in other conferences do it. Pardon me, but isn’t one of the chief virtues of this band that we don’t have to do things other bands do – like give ours a nickname?

I do not know who decided it was a good thing for the Auburn band to perform the opposing team’s fight song, but I am respectfully registering my extreme displeasure with this practice as well as my earnest plea that we discontinue it immediately. When the actions of the band cease to support the team and instead cause potential impairment to their performance, surely it is time to reconsider.

Thank you for your attention,

War Eagle

I'll advise of any reply.

sorry but playing the fight song of the opposing team is not classy, its left wing bs, is the au band director a member of the aclu?? thats why we give space in the stadium for the other band. we need killer instinct from begining to end, in every aspect of the game and pre-game!!! Eye of the Tiger blaring as loud as can be in the midst of a sea of blue and orange shakers with every fan screaming at a fever pitch. if it worked last year at 13-0, then its good enough for this year. lets not try to fix it if its not broken.War Eagle :banghead:

I can't believe what I am hearing in the stadium! Auburn's band playing the other teams fight song!!! What a mood killer!!! If the visitors bring their band they can play their own fight song! This is a tradition for Tennessee's and Michigan's bands NOT AUBURN'S!!! I might could live with them playing 6 of our home teams fight songs EXCEPT THE ONE ON NOVEMBER19TH!!! IF I HEAR AUBURN'S BAND PLAY "YEA ALABAMA" THAT WILL COMPLETELY ENRAGE AND PISS ME OFF! Does anyone actually believe that bama's band would ever play "War Eagle"? Not a chance in hell!!! The athletic department will be hearing from me!!

It's not going to stop.

Here is his reply:

Thank you for your email and comments concerning the Auburn University Marching Band.

The only addition to pregame this year was the band playing the opposing teams fight song. As I stress to the band members, life is more than a football game and the Auburn Band strives to be one of the classiest bands in the SEC and country. Having over three hundred college students do "the right thing" is quite an accomplishment and we, the Auburn family, should be very proud of these students on and off the field.

I brought this issue up to the band after trying it for the first time.

The band took a vote this week and has voted to continue playing all the opponents fight song's this year. They realize that they will play all seven school's fight songs and like the announcement in pregame says, this welcomes the opposing band and fans to the "loveliest village on the plains." Something we can all be proud of. Matter of fact, not just Tennessee but the University of Michigan Band played our fight song at pregame when we were in the Capital One Bowl and I received numerous emails from our fans saying how classy and what good show of sportsmanship that was. I believe we all want everyone, regardless of which team they root for, to know that Auburn University and fans are just that.

Hopefully, you and other Auburn fans can appreciate this act of sportsmanship displayed by the band and know that it is alright "to agree to disagree" on this subject. Once again, thank you for your comments and support of the band members.

PLEASE email THESE PEOPLE AND EXPRESS YOUR OPINION

You know, I'm not one to be against classy moves normally, but this is just stupid. If Alabama wants to hear their fight song, they can bring their own damn Million Cent Band down to the Plains and play it themselves. I don't want to hear their fight song coming from our band and frankly, if I'm there, I will boo them if they play it. I've emailed them as well. I couldn't care less what the band members voted, they don't play just for themselves, they play for Auburn. :angry:

Guest Tigrinum Major
Sounds like it might be getting close to being "gettin' nasty" time. :D

181434[/snapback]

I got pretty much the same response from Dr. Good when I sent him a similiar email. My point was the last game of the season, I didn't want to hear "my" band play their fight song.

I don't know how much good "getting nasty" will do, ranger. You are welcome to try. I think sheer volume of email would get the attention of the administration folks more than anything. I am thinking of sending an email from all my addresses (I am ashamed to say I have several, although only use one with any regularity.)

I sent one to the Athletics Dept. too. I'm hoping someone will knock some sense into the band. If they want to do that crap at band camp or some competition, have at it, but when you're at an Auburn football game, you serve one purpose: to fire up the AUBURN crowd. Get with the program, Dr. Good.

Already called Athletic Dept. They acted like it was no big deal and a greeting to the visiting school. These people just don't understand. IT IS A MOOD KILLER. :au:

Sounds like it might be getting close to being "gettin' nasty" time. :D

181434[/snapback]

My God!! I can't believe this!! If I hear our very own band playing bama's fight song on November 19th I will throw whatever I can onto the field at those bandmembers not to mention the loudest "boos" I can yell!!! Shug's rolling in his grave!!!

My neighbor from last year, His father is High up in the music program(by high up i mean the very top), ive been talking to him trying to figure out what is going on, and how we can change it.

Archived