Must Read Article from Marshall on ITAT

DKW 86

Link

Despite Success, Tigers Must Be On Guard 

By Phillip Marshall

Columnist

Date: Nov 25, 2005

Phillip Marshall writes about Auburn's football program, the bowl situation and matchups around the SEC this week.

When Auburn has played its bowl game and the 2005 season is over, Coach Tommy Tuberville and his program will face a new and different kind of challenge.

Tuberville has done a remarkable job over the past seven years. He took over a troubled and dispirited program when he arrived November of 1998 and made it a national power.

In the raucous celebration at Jordan-Hare Stadium last Saturday, when Alabama had been dominated like few Alabama teams have, when the Tigers had beaten the Tide for the fourth consecutive time, it was obvious that Auburn was king of this state’s college football domain.

Winning four consecutive Iron Bowls is a rare accomplishment. It doesn’t happen by accident. Auburn dominated Alabama last Saturday because Auburn is more talented than Alabama at most positions and deeper at every position. Looking ahead to next season, the difference could be even more pronounced. Auburn will go into next season as a legitimate contender for the national championship.

Rewind to December 1989. Alabama had played at Jordan-Hare Stadium for the first time. It had come to town undefeated and left a 30-20 loser. It was Auburn’s fourth consecutive win in the series.

Auburn lost the next three times it played Alabama. By the time it won again, Pat Dye had resigned and been replaced by Terry Bowden.

MORE...

Link
Despite Success, Tigers Must Be On Guard  

By Phillip Marshall

Columnist

Date: Nov 25, 2005

Phillip Marshall writes about Auburn's football program, the bowl situation and matchups around the SEC this week.

When Auburn has played its bowl game and the 2005 season is over, Coach Tommy Tuberville and his program will face a new and different kind of challenge.

Tuberville has done a remarkable job over the past seven years. He took over a troubled and dispirited program when he arrived November of 1998 and made it a national power.

In the raucous celebration at Jordan-Hare Stadium last Saturday, when Alabama had been dominated like few Alabama teams have, when the Tigers had beaten the Tide for the fourth consecutive time, it was obvious that Auburn was king of this state’s college football domain.

Winning four consecutive Iron Bowls is a rare accomplishment. It doesn’t happen by accident. Auburn dominated Alabama last Saturday because Auburn is more talented than Alabama at most positions and deeper at every position. Looking ahead to next season, the difference could be even more pronounced. Auburn will go into next season as a legitimate contender for the national championship.

Rewind to December 1989. Alabama had played at Jordan-Hare Stadium for the first time. It had come to town undefeated and left a 30-20 loser. It was Auburn’s fourth consecutive win in the series.

Auburn lost the next three times it played Alabama. By the time it won again, Pat Dye had resigned and been replaced by Terry Bowden.

MORE...

201418[/snapback]

The "MORE... "link is not active. Please paste.

Complacency is a natural human trait. I’ve been told by more than one coach who was on the Auburn staff in 1989 that the sense of urgency that had marked the 1980s began to wane after 1989.

It would appear that this year CTT, staff & players did a good job of combating complacency. Other than the GT game it never looked as if they expected to win because of last year's record. I hope they will be ready coming out of the gate next year against Washington State.

Looking at complacency, I hope the team and coaches look at Wisconsin a little differently than some of our fans. And I fully expect them to.

I am not worried about internal complacency; I am worred about external attacks, legitimate ones for our great coaching staff members, and illegitimate ones by Bama Boosters that will stop at nothing to bring Auburn down again...

Archived