David Irons

mcgufcm

hey folks, i just wanted to ask everyone to keep david irons in your prayers. he's not hurt or anything like that. i just read an article from mobile with quotes from him about returning to school/football next year, and he seems really run down. he's been through a ton since graduating high school, too much for a 23 year old (i should know, i am one). a knee injury, the letdown of not qualifying (twice), another knee injury.

he actually graduated in 2001 i think which would make next year his sixth fall in college. i just graduated yesterday (woohoo!), and i double majored here on the plains. this was my sixth fall in college. i can assure you; it wears on you to be at it this long (although i loved every second of college, and the past week has been a joyful, sentimental time that has been sad and great all at once).

here are some of the quotes from david:

"I don't know if I'll be back next year," Irons said. "If I get (the extra year), I get it, but I still don't know if I want to be back. It's my decision. If I get it, it would be cool. I'd think about it."

"I've been in school a long time," Irons said. "It's tiring. It's been a long journey for me, a struggle in school. So to come back and try to graduate in spring would be awesome. And to just relax and have freedom would be awesome, too."

i just thought it'd be nice to pray for david to make the proper decision for himself and his future. i hope he comes back and finishes the journey and gets a degree. it was a great moment for me, and i don't know anyone who has regretted doing that. but i also understand how tiring that much time in college can be. if anyone knows david, let him know that the Auburn family is thinking about him. God bless and war eagle

link: http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/in...0380.xml&coll=3

David should maximize his chances of playing in the NFL. one one hundredth of one percent of collge football players even get a shot @ that opportunity and if he can play JUST ONE YEAR in the NFL, he...and his family... will be set for life (assuming he doesn't squander it). One more year like this year and he'll be a 3rd or 4th rounder, maybe better. Anybody can work in the real world...and it's paycheck to paycheck remuneration. If he can fight the burn-out and get that extra year.....

Things that I would think would make him want to come back next year:

Finishing his degree (helping himself forever, but also helping Auburn in the new ncaa rules).

Playing with his brother for another year, especially after all they went through to get together out there this year.

The opportunity to be a part of what next year's team is going to do.

The strong chance that both Irons brothers get their name called on the first day of the 2007 NFL Draft - I don't think even Ronde and Tiki Barber did that (since one of them redshirted?)

I wouldn't mind seeing thirteen more episodes of The Irons Brothers' Comedy Hour, but whatever his choice, it's his decision and he should be supported either way.

David should maximize his chances of playing in the NFL. one one hundredth of one percent of collge football players even get a shot @ that opportunity and if he can play JUST ONE YEAR in the NFL, he...and his family... will be set for life (assuming he doesn't squander it). One more year like this year and he'll be a 3rd or 4th rounder, maybe better. Anybody can work in the real world...and it's paycheck to paycheck remuneration. If he can fight the burn-out and get that extra year.....

205956[/snapback]

He should take some pointers from Takeo Spikes about money. From that article posted on here a few days ago, he said he was thankful for the financial planning he had done b/c when he tore his achilles for a time he wasn't sure he could play again. Or maybe he should buy some of that insurance like Leinart :puke: Smart but still :puke: . I think another year of playing college ball will help his draft stock.

David Irons would be throwing his career away if he goes now. While he was a good corner this year he was by no means a lock down type of guy. He got burned a lot, and when he made plays they were normally borderline interference. I like his agressive style but the NFL isn't going to draft him after this year.

Archived