Spin off of Notre Dame Thread

AUesquire

I was thinking about this while posting on the Notre Dang thread and why certain teams get all the pub and seem to be the media darlings. Notre Dum gets ranked above much more deserving teams and finds it's way into the best possible bowls every year if there's any possible way to justify doing it. There are numerous teams that get the same preferential treatment year in and year out, which only serves to strengthen my conviction that Tubby was right on with his ESPN comments earlier this year.

I read an article by Phillip Marshall today where he made the statement that there are 119 D-1 teams with only about 30 of those with any shot at the big prize. He was talking from the standpoint that only about 30 have a realistic chance but the REALITY is that probably 60-70% of those 119 teams start out the year with NO chance wahtsoever. If UTEP, TCU, Utah, Hawaii, Ball State, Eastern Michigan....went undefeated, would any of them get to play for the national championship? Absolutely not. And maybe, based on strength of schedule, they shouldn't get to under our current system.

But why have a system where more than half of the teams involved know even before the season starts that there is no possible way they could ever play for a national championship, even if they were to win every game they play 70-0? Do I think Auburn deserved a shot at the title last year? Certainly. But, so did Utah. I think Auburn played a much tougher schedule than did Utah but I still think they deserved a chance. As the article states in the Notre Lame thread, TCU beat Oklahoma. Notre Dame failed in all it's attempts to beat a top 20 club. And haven't they lost like 57 bowl games in a row?

Just another "Prove it on the field" rant....out!

I was thinking about this while posting on the Notre Dang thread and why certain teams get all the pub and seem to be the media darlings.  Notre Dum gets ranked above much more deserving teams and finds it's way into the best possible bowls every year if there's any possible way to justify doing it.  There are numerous teams that get the same preferential treatment year in and year out, which only serves to strengthen my conviction that Tubby was right on with his ESPN comments earlier this year.

I read an article by Phillip Marshall today where he made the statement that there are 119 D-1 teams with only about 30 of those with any shot at the big prize.  He was talking from the standpoint that only about 30 have a realistic chance but the REALITY is that probably 60-70% of those 119 teams start out the year with NO chance wahtsoever.  If UTEP, TCU, Utah, Hawaii, Ball State, Eastern Michigan....went undefeated, would any of them get to play for the national championship?  Absolutely not.  And maybe, based on strength of schedule, they shouldn't get to under our current system.

But why have a system where more than half of the teams involved know even before the season starts that there is no possible way they could ever play for a national championship, even if they were to win every game they play 70-0?  Do I think Auburn deserved a shot at the title last year?  Certainly.  But, so did Utah.  I think Auburn played a much tougher schedule than did Utah but I still think they deserved a chance.  As the article states in the Notre Lame thread, TCU beat Oklahoma.  Notre Dame failed in all it's attempts to beat a top 20 club.  And haven't they lost like 57 bowl games in a row? 

Just another "Prove it on the field" rant....out!

210058[/snapback]

Which is why I believe we no longer need to rate teams as Div I and Div IAA.

Lets call them what they are...

The non-BCS(Utah, Eastern Michigan, Ball State, etc.),

the "plain ole" BCS (Kansas, Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Arizona, etc.),

the "elite" BCS (Georgia, Auburn, Michigan, etc.),

and the "favorite elite" BCS (Preseason top 5 BCS teams).

Under the current system, we should be able to claim around 3-4 national champions per year. One per division. The Favorite Elites get the recognition from the talking heads, therefore, the Elites don't get a shot. The "plain ole" BCS teams probably shouldn't be in the BCS but ride the coat-tails of their conference "big brothers." Therefore, they will always lose games and will never claim a title. The non-BCS teams should claim their own national champion EACH year.

Archived