I am trying to be a good teammate...

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

But we are having some posting problems.

The Latest From Kevin Strickland

Kevin was on JOX this afternoon after some folks there took issue with this segment of the column:

Let's pretend we're a fly on the wall in the corporate offices at WJOX 690 in Birmingham. Here's what we might hear:

Boss: What's the highest rated show we have on the air?

Staff: Sonny and Wimp.

Boss: Okay, cancel it. Fire them both. Who's the worst announcer we have?

Staff: Well, probably Jay Barker. He's better than he was to start with, but still can't get through a single sentence without saying one of the following: "as well, also, particular or 1992." But you've also got Herb, Kelley and a few others to choose from.

Boss: Okay, expand Barker's time on the air. Let him anchor the critical morning show. Who's the else do we have on mornings?

Staff: Matt Coulter. He's been a fixture there for nearly a decade.

Boss: Okay, bump him from mornings to early afternoon. Come on people, hurry up here. We've got a station to destroy.

He comported himself well and held his own against Dunaway and Brown.

Anyone else know he was a Mississippi State grad?

This was my favorite part of the column:

If you are an Alabama fan and have tried to convince yourself and others that 10-2 and an AP ranking give you justification to lord it over Auburn fans, let me break it down for you: 28-18. Auburn lost to Georgia Tech, Bama beat Utah State. There's the difference in the record. Head to head, and in emphatic fashion, Auburn established itself as the better team in 2005.

I disagreed with this:

I have nothing but respect for the ability of Annika Sorenstam. Michele Wie's potential is astounding. Sorenstam and Wie are amazing female golfers. The key word there is female. There's a reason there is an LPGA. The "L" stands for Ladies. That's where Sorenstam, Wie and the other female golfers should play. They don't belong on the men's tour. Until and unless they allow Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els, Vijay Singh or other men to play in the LPGA, women should not be allowed to compete in the PGA.

If they can compete with the boys, so be it. As much as people hate to admit it, men have an advantage when it comes to sports. Let the women have their leagues, but if the women want to compete with the men, bring it on. They have failed miserably so far. If Lisa Leslie wants to try out for the Sixers, let her do it. Just don't complain when Kobe applies an elbow to her throat (ala' Mike Miller) or Shaq commits a hard foul when she drives the lane.

And this:

Has one player ever increased his stock more than Vince Young did in the Rose Bowl? He single handedly made every voter who overlooked him for the Heisman look foolish. He went from virtually assuring anyone who would listen that he'd be back for his senior season to being urged by every talking head in the world to leave Texas immediately. "What else does he have to gain?" was the prevailing sentiment. What else? Another national championship? The Heisman Trophy? Being a part of a team he helped build?

They is nothing he could do next year to make his stock any hotter. Anything besides an undefeated season and a Heisman would be a letdown. It was a business decision. No way he would go in the top three next year.

And this:

Who's the worst announcer we have?

Staff: Well, probably Jay Barker.

He is horrible, but Lance Taylor and Tony Kurre are much, much worse. Those two goobs remind me of immature versions of Wayne and Garth with worse clothes and bad haircuts.

Other than that, I agreed with pretty much everything else. The Chunky Soup Curse alone is worth the read.

Feel free to opine.

vince young could come back to college and go undefeated simply on his own back next year. if he came back, he'd be in the top three in the 2007 draft. if he was granted a sixth year, he'd be in the top three in the 2008 draft. he's always going to be one of the top three players in any draft b/c he plays at the most crucial position and he'll always be the best or second best at that position.

look at the nfl. you see the following: joey harrington/jeff garcia, brad johnson, trent dilfer, alex smith, aaron brooks, david carr, brooks bollinger/vinny testeverde, billy volek, kyle boller, kurt warner, jp losman, gus ferotte, and kerry collins piloting teams that didn't make the playoffs... you honestly saying that vince wouldn't be an upgrade over any name on that list?

hell, i'd take him over chris simms, kyle orton/rex grossman, or mark brunell right now and if i'd really consider taking him over plummer, leftwich, brees, or either manning too. that's right, i'm including peyton. why? b/c peyton's a loser and vince is the opposite. he grabs the big game by the throat instead of grasping his own like peyton.

interesting note on peyton, he lost five games in high school, three of them were in the playoffs. he never won a championship. he lost six in college. three came at the hands of the gators (the only three times he played them) and he won his only title against auburn by one point. and for all his regular season greatness, his nfl playoff record is 3-6. you telling me you'd rather have peyton than vince young in the big game?

vince is top three any year. he's that good, and he was that good before he dismantled a bad usc defense.

Guest Tigrinum Major

You might be correct, he would be top three next year or the next or the next. I was a bit too emphatic in my original post. He probably would go top three next year. I don't know what I was thinking when I made that comment. But how could he improve his draft status any by coming back next year? He might move up and become the top pick, which would mean a couple million more in signing bonus. He could also tank next year, lose three games, fall off the Heisman watch and not win the Big XII, much less another crystal egg. The risk does not equal the reward. He is hotter than a snake's rear end in a wagon rut right now. He could also be injured, although I am sure he would have insurance by this afternoon if he were staying.

Now, as far as his being successful in the NFL, there is no guarantee of that. The more successful NFL QBs are not always the biggest, strongest, most fleet of foot. If he starts next year, it will be a rocky road. Name one NFL team that does, or would, run the offense that Texas runs. He will not line up in the shotgun more than 25% of the time in an typical NFL offense. He will require extensive footwork work in order to make the transition. Also, while he hasn't played against tomato cans in the Big XII, there is another degree of athlete at every position in the NFL. Mr. Young, meet Mr. Polomanu. He will be in your grill all day. I would like to see what Young can do against the Bears or Panthers behind a Texan or Saints line.

Good luck, Vince. I really do wish him well, but he isn't going to turn a team around immediately, if ever.

if i'd really consider taking him over plummer, leftwich, brees, or either manning too. that's right, i'm including peyton. why? b/c peyton's a loser and vince is the opposite. he grabs the big game by the throat instead of grasping his own like peyton.

funny, thing everyone you mentioned made it to the playoffs except for brees who had a playoff caliber team but was in strong afc division. leftwich and e. manning made it to their first playoff experience. plummer is still in the mix and while p. manning isn't any longer you have to look at the whole team and the end of the regular season. they collectively began to choke including the coaches. you can have vince young and his lack of taking a snap under center. the first time he scrambles it will be a nasty leg break from b. urlacher.

as far as ladies in the pga go ahead and try your sucess. to me wei needs to prove herself in the lpga.

Auburn defensive end Stanley McClover bucked a recent Auburn trend and announced his intent to forego his senior season and enter the NFL draft. McClover, who struggled with injury problems and was not a major factor in the Auburn defense until the Alabama game, is projected to be drafted in the third to sixth rounds. Stanley, I'd like you to meet Kennedy Winston. Who is Kennedy Winston you say? Exactly.

i found this segment interesting. The author makes a good point here. Why would McClover go pro this year? He didn't make a very big impact which he would almost assuredly make next year (barring injuries). As of right now, he hasn't made himself a big enough name to get drafted very high. I was just wondering y'alls opinion.

TM: This was my favorite part of the column:

If you are an Alabama fan and have tried to convince yourself and others that 10-2 and an AP ranking give you justification to lord it over Auburn fans, let me break it down for you: 28-18. Auburn lost to Georgia Tech, Bama beat Utah State. There's the difference in the record. Head to head, and in emphatic fashion, Auburn established itself as the better team in 2005.

TM, i found the next paragraph just as interesting.

Conversely, if you're an Auburn fan and you've tried to downplay the lethargic effort in a Capitol One Bowl loss to Wisconsin, let me break it down for you: five is better than fifteen. Had Auburn's offense taken advantage of one of the statistically worst defenses it faced all season the Tigers would have finished the year with ten wins and a likely top five ranking. Then there would be no argument. Auburn squandered a chance to capitalize on a great deal of positive national buzz with a flat bowl performance. Sure, Auburn beat Alabama. Beat them soundly. But if the Tigers are to be the national force their fans claim, beating Alabama is only a step, it's not the summit.

the argument he makes is valid, for both teams. Neither team can HONESTLY downplay the IB, but neither can they downplay the rest of their schedule. True, an IB win by AU gives y'all bragging rights, but in turn, finishing the season 10-2 while y'all were 9-3 gives UA fans some of those same rights back. True, that argument may never fly on this site, which i understand and appreciate, but for UA fans, this was a season for us to be proud of, even with an IB loss.

Guest Tigrinum Major
the argument he makes is valid, for both teams.  Neither team can HONESTLY downplay the IB, but neither can they downplay the rest of their schedule.  True, an IB win by AU gives y'all bragging rights, but in turn, finishing the season 10-2 while y'all were 9-3 gives UA fans some of those same rights back.  True, that argument may never fly on this site, which i understand and appreciate, but for UA fans, this was a season for us to be proud of, even with an IB loss.

212652[/snapback]

It gives Bama fans a reason to be proud of a great season, but not bragging rights over Auburn. That is reserved for the head to head winner.

But we won't turn this into another Finebaum thread.

the argument he makes is valid, for both teams.  Neither team can HONESTLY downplay the IB, but neither can they downplay the rest of their schedule.  True, an IB win by AU gives y'all bragging rights, but in turn, finishing the season 10-2 while y'all were 9-3 gives UA fans some of those same rights back.  True, that argument may never fly on this site, which i understand and appreciate, but for UA fans, this was a season for us to be proud of, even with an IB loss.

212652[/snapback]

It gives Bama fans a reason to be proud of a great season, but not bragging rights over Auburn. That is reserved for the head to head winner.

But we won't turn this into another Finebaum thread.

212655[/snapback]

yes, please, let's not... that's why i stayed out of that thread. Seemed a lil heated didn't it? :big:

212652[/snapback]

212655[/snapback]

Exactly what I was thinking....you dont get bragging rights back after a beating like that....You have to earn them B)

Auburn defensive end Stanley McClover bucked a recent Auburn trend and announced his intent to forego his senior season and enter the NFL draft. McClover, who struggled with injury problems and was not a major factor in the Auburn defense until the Alabama game, is projected to be drafted in the third to sixth rounds. Stanley, I'd like you to meet Kennedy Winston. Who is Kennedy Winston you say? Exactly.

i found this segment interesting. The author makes a good point here. Why would McClover go pro this year? He didn't make a very big impact which he would almost assuredly make next year (barring injuries). As of right now, he hasn't made himself a big enough name to get drafted very high. I was just wondering y'alls opinion.

TM: This was my favorite part of the column:

TM, i found the next paragraph just as interesting.

Conversely, if you're an Auburn fan and you've tried to downplay the lethargic effort in a Capitol One Bowl loss to Wisconsin, let me break it down for you: five is better than fifteen. Had Auburn's offense taken advantage of one of the statistically worst defenses it faced all season the Tigers would have finished the year with ten wins and a likely top five ranking. Then there would be no argument. Auburn squandered a chance to capitalize on a great deal of positive national buzz with a flat bowl performance. Sure, Auburn beat Alabama. Beat them soundly. But if the Tigers are to be the national force their fans claim, beating Alabama is only a step, it's not the summit.

the argument he makes is valid, for both teams. Neither team can HONESTLY downplay the IB, but neither can they downplay the rest of their schedule. True, an IB win by AU gives y'all bragging rights, but in turn, finishing the season 10-2 while y'all were 9-3 gives UA fans some of those same rights back. True, that argument may never fly on this site, which i understand and appreciate, but for UA fans, this was a season for us to be proud of, even with an IB loss.

212652[/snapback]

I don't believe that McClover enjoys the academic side of being a collegiate athlete. School isn't for everyone at the college level. I personally feel that is why he is leaving early (not saying he is struggling or anything with classes btw, just don't think he likes them).

I say the same on the other topic. Auburn only wins 6 or 7 games, Alabama fans can still crow on Auburn... but it was a one game difference. 10 isn't much different from nine when you factor in a rival loss. Alabama should be proud of its season cause it was a dang good one, but they don't have anything to hold over Auburns head.

On the surface, I don't think Stanley's decision looks smart to anybody. We just have to hope that he's got good people helping him make his decision and wish him the best. None of us are in his shoes, so we can't KNOW that it's a bad decision.

I don't think either AU or UA fans should spend as much time as usual inciting "Who's better" arguments. If a UA fan starts such an argument, then an AU fan will finish it, no doubt. But after the bowl game, we AU fans should not be the ones starting the conversation (which is not to say that the bowl game was the end of everything... AU's best days unquestionably lie ahead). But I think that the most important thing to consider is that both teams are ahead of where we thought we'd be 2 years ago. Football in this state came dangerously close to being irrelevant on a national level, but that's far from the case now. And that's good for both sides.

We need to bury the hatchet on one point and work together to KEEP SPORTS ILLUSTRATED PHOTOGRAPHERS AWAY.

Men are supposed to open doors for ladies.

I agree w/ Strickland's JOX assessment 100%.

Just FYI, SM's decision has ZERO to do with academics. He is doing well enough to not worry about that. He isnt a Mensa member to my knowledge but I am told he is doing well in class.

Just FYI, SM's decision has ZERO to do with academics. He is doing well enough to not worry about that. He isnt a Mensa member to my knowledge but I am told he is doing well in class.

212760[/snapback]

So noone reads what I said wrong. I have no idea how well he is doing, and I'm sure he is doing well.

I just don't think he likes school (and it seems I heard that), and why continue to do something you don't like when you can go get paid to do something that you really enjoy.

212760[/snapback]

So noone reads what I said wrong. I have no idea how well he is doing, and I'm sure he is doing well.

I just don't think he likes school (and it seems I heard that), and why continue to do something you don't like when you can go get paid to do something that you really enjoy.

212762[/snapback]

i'm a gta for a professor that had him in an intro class and according to her it was a bit of a struggle. I could see where he would be ready to move on from taking classes if that is something he didn't enjoy.

212760[/snapback]

212762[/snapback]

Why? Because if you stick it out for another year you can get paid a lot more.

Let's look at this from the often-bandied "If a company wanted to hire me before I got my degree" angle.

If you knew you could leave college now and maybe have a shot at earning $100,000 year but weren't guaranteed of getting a job, or could finish your career and have a realistic shot at earning $800K a year if you studied hard.... what would you do?

For me, the difference between Stanley staying and Stanley going could be that significant to him. The initial salary and bonus for a first or second rounder is significantly higher than that for a fourth to sixth rounder.

Look at Rudi. If he comes back, AU wins the SEC, he's got a legitimate shot at winning the Heisman, Carnell redshirts, Ronnie wins the Heisman, Ronnie and Carnell become the first two teammates to go #1 in the draft in consecutive years... oh, wait. Back to Rudi. If he comes back and does what he was capable of doing, he jumps up the board from fourth round to first or second. He doesn't have to sit behind Corey Dillon during his prime. He doesn't have to prove himself for three years before finally getting the contract he could]/i] have gotten out of the gate. Rudi isn't hurting today because he stayed healthy and managed to work his way up to the top dollars.

What if Stanley isn't that lucky? By going now, he probably costs himself a million or more in signing bonus. He won't get the bigger guaranteed contract. He gets picked up by the wrong team that doesn't know how to use him, gets hurt, whatever... he never sees the glory he dreams of today.

Some guys? Go. Absolutely. Reggie Bush? Go. Get gone. Be gone. He's ready. No doubts. Vince? He's not, but the draft will be all up his butt anyway. My opinion is that unless you're a first round pick or your family situation is so harsh that you can't survive another season, you should stay in college and try to give yourself a better shot.

Look at Rudi. If he comes back, AU wins the SEC, he's got a legitimate shot at winning the Heisman, Carnell redshirts, Ronnie wins the Heisman, Ronnie and Carnell become the first two teammates to go #1 in the draft in consecutive years..

212767[/snapback]

I was always under the impression that one of the reasons Carnell picked Auburn over UT was because Rudi went pro.

Look at Rudi. If he comes back, AU wins the SEC, he's got a legitimate shot at winning the Heisman, Carnell redshirts, Ronnie wins the Heisman, Ronnie and Carnell become the first two teammates to go #1 in the draft in consecutive years..

212767[/snapback]

I was always under the impression that one of the reasons Carnell picked Auburn over UT was because Rudi went pro.

212817[/snapback]

Hey. A dream's a dream.

212760[/snapback]

212762[/snapback]

Why? Because if you stick it out for another year you can get paid a lot more.

Let's look at this from the often-bandied "If a company wanted to hire me before I got my degree" angle.

If you knew you could leave college now and maybe have a shot at earning $100,000 year but weren't guaranteed of getting a job, or could finish your career and have a realistic shot at earning $800K a year if you studied hard.... what would you do?

For me, the difference between Stanley staying and Stanley going could be that significant to him. The initial salary and bonus for a first or second rounder is significantly higher than that for a fourth to sixth rounder.

Look at Rudi. If he comes back, AU wins the SEC, he's got a legitimate shot at winning the Heisman, Carnell redshirts, Ronnie wins the Heisman, Ronnie and Carnell become the first two teammates to go #1 in the draft in consecutive years... oh, wait. Back to Rudi. If he comes back and does what he was capable of doing, he jumps up the board from fourth round to first or second. He doesn't have to sit behind Corey Dillon during his prime. He doesn't have to prove himself for three years before finally getting the contract he could]/i] have gotten out of the gate. Rudi isn't hurting today because he stayed healthy and managed to work his way up to the top dollars.

What if Stanley isn't that lucky? By going now, he probably costs himself a million or more in signing bonus. He won't get the bigger guaranteed contract. He gets picked up by the wrong team that doesn't know how to use him, gets hurt, whatever... he never sees the glory he dreams of today.

Some guys? Go. Absolutely. Reggie Bush? Go. Get gone. Be gone. He's ready. No doubts. Vince? He's not, but the draft will be all up his butt anyway. My opinion is that unless you're a first round pick or your family situation is so harsh that you can't survive another season, you should stay in college and try to give yourself a better shot.

212767[/snapback]

Or he stays, gets a severe injury during spring practices that ends his career as a player. Or gets another nagging injury in the fall that keeps him sidelined and when he finally does get back on the field he doesn't have a impact game, like he did against Alabama this year. He has now become labled injury prone by the scouts. It is a double edged sword.

Do I think he is ready, no and I think he should stay. But, I believe he dislikes school and has no interest in a degree and only wants to play pro football to the extent that he just had to get out this year.

Even the things your predict such as getting used wrong happen is still going to make about $160 thousand more than he would with his degree, if he got injured at college and had to earn it. Then in the pros you have insurance and such if your injured.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Then in the pros you have insurance and such if your injured.

212891[/snapback]

He would be able to purchase insurance if he came back since he would be a senior.

why harp on rudi's decision? he got drafed (in the third round i think which isn't bad money), and he made his decision based on as you put it a dire family situation. he was married and had a little girl who was turning two at the time. he needed the money, and fortunately, he wasn't getting it at auburn. go. get gone. playing as a backup to an all-pro for a couple seasons isn't a bad thing.

and on my final note, i'll just say this so that i either look like a seer or the village idiot... only time will tell: reggie bush will be the biggest bust of the draft. lendale white will be better than him in the league in his first year and every year that follows. AND vince young is ready. he's going to campbell route. he's going to play behind steve mcnair for one year, then he'll get his chance in year two and be the man (and norm chow runs that offense... think he won't change his playsets to get vince space? hell he made reggie bush famous by moving him around like a chess piece. titans with young and chow will be scary).

Then in the pros you have insurance and such if your injured.

212891[/snapback]

He would be able to purchase insurance if he came back since he would be a senior.

212932[/snapback]

True, but I don't think the returns are as high as if he was in the pro's because they would go off predictions of his draft status and not his ability.

Anyway the point is, even as a third team scout member he is still going to make more money a year than he will with a sociology degree (I think that is his major) which I don't believe he feels a desire to pursue any longer.

Archived