Muschamp

JTTIGER

I am not a premium member of the "Bunker", but from what I can read a deal has been struck with Muschamp!  He would be my first choice!  WDE

217592[/snapback]

I have a feeling that he would be the #1 pick by most AU Folks. :au::cheer:

posted also in def coord thread.

By John DeShazier

Staff writer/The Times-Picayune

He's young, and Will Muschamp's résumé suggests he's a tad inexperienced.

But he's not stupid.

He's not so headstrong he doesn't recognize good advice, not so stubborn he won't use it, not so independent he can't admit being LSU's defensive coordinator at age 33 carries the built-in advantage of having defensive guru Nick Saban as his head coach and mentor.

Maybe, even, the age is a positive. After all, who better for Saban to mold than someone who likely doesn't have his own agenda, who is receptive to his teaching, who as a second-year coordinator in Saban's four-year reign already has lasted longer than the previous three men to hold the position under Saban at LSU?

"I call the defenses," Muschamp said. "Coach Saban and I have a great working relationship. It wasn't intimidating at all (to be offered the job). The bottom line is, he wants to be good on defense, he wants to win football games.

"I sort of look at coaching like playing. In playing, there's no substitute for speed. In coaching, there's no substitute for experience. He's got great experience, his expertise is obviously on defense, he's as good a football coach as I've ever been around.

"So I welcome all the input with open arms when it helps our football team be better, which it does about 100 percent of the time. Because he's been through it before, he's done it before, he's seen it before, so it helps me on game day and through the preparation process."

Oh, yeah, it helps.

Statistically Oklahoma, LSU's opponent in the Sugar Bowl, has the best defense in the nation. It is one of the few that, arguably, is playing as well as LSU's blitz-'em-as-soon-as-they-wake-up unit.

The Tigers, for whom 15 players have combined for 39 sacks, lead the nation in scoring defense (10.8 points per game) and rushing touchdowns allowed (three), and only one team (Arkansas) scored more than 20 against them. And the Tigers won that game 55-24.

"It's a fun defense," safety Jack Hunt said. "There's always something going on, always something different -- a lot of mind games, doing different stuff, giving different looks."

"I think LSU will blitz (Oklahoma quarterback) Jason (White) in warm-ups," Oklahoma offensive line coach/run game coordinator Kevin Wilson said. "They're coming, they keep coming, and that's nothing new.

"The key thing against a blitzing team is that you keep attacking them, and you pick your spots to do that, and that is one of the best things we've done all year. We've attacked, not gone into a shell and curled up like a turtle.

"We keep coming and coming, and we're going to keep doing that this game." So will Muschamp. Because it's what he has learned.

"To (Saban's) credit, he stayed up with the times and maybe even has gone ahead of the times in his philosophies of the zone blitz," Oklahoma offensive coordinator Chuck Long said. "He's probably on the cutting edge of that entire zone blitz and implemented it."

Muschamp feels he's not far behind. He said he learned much about blitzing, aggressive defenses while serving as a graduate assistant at Auburn from 1995-97. That, coupled with a few other stops -- secondary coach at West Georgia in '98 and at Eastern Kentucky in '99, defensive coordinator at Valdosta State in 2000 and linebackers coach at LSU in '01 -- was enough for Saban.

Given the challenge of running a defense he knew was someone else's, Muschamp gladly accepted.

"Coach Saban and I have had a great working relationship from the time I was a linebackers coach," he said. "He and I have gotten along perfectly fine.

"He's got great passion and work ethic for what he wants to do. He's never asked me as an assistant coach to do anything more than he's already doing. And I respect that. It's easy to work hard for a guy that's willing to make the commitment and have the passion that he does."

Easy to follow him when you're 33. Smart, too.

I do not have a premium subscription either but rivals actually states that it is Muschamp:

Muschamp

Bryan Matthews

AuburnSports.com Senior Editor

One day. That's all it took. Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville named Will Muschamp the Tigers' new defensive coordinator Friday, a day after David Gibbs resigned from the position to accept a position with the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs. Check inside for the scoop on who will be Auburn's newest defensive coordinator and learn about his close ties to the SEC including a stint at Auburn under Bill Oliver in 1996.

Archived