Never bet against Tuberville

quietfan

Okay, it's a column by the F-word (Finebaum) with lots of comments from Bill Oliver, but it's high on CTT:

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pf...2890.xml&coll=3

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

You want to go broke fast. Bet against Tommy Tuberville.

He's done it again. He's played his critics for fools. Just like he has done throughout his career at Auburn.

This time, many counted him out because of a lousy performance in the bowl game against Wisconsin. What did Tubby do? He went out and recruited one of the best classes in recent Auburn history, finishing in the top 10 and beating Alabama instate.

Then, another bomb dropped.

David Gibbs, the defensive coordinator for a mere 51 weeks, bailed out (or was gently nudged) and the opponents of Tuberville starting counting him out again, talking about upheaval and dissension in the ranks.

What does Tuberville do?

Within a day, he hires Will Muschamp, who may be the brightest young defensive coordinator in the country. Who says?

Bill Oliver, that's who.

In case you need a refresher course on Brother Bill's credentials, I suggest you pop in a DVD of Alabama's Sugar Bowl win over Miami for the 1992 national championship. It was one of the greatest defensive exhibitions in modern college football history and the architect was Oliver.

Over the weekend, Oliver said Muschamp was among the two brightest graduate assistants he's had during his long and storied career. The other was Gene Chizik, who left Auburn last year for Texas and now has a national championship ring to go along with the SEC ring he won the year before on the Plains.

Muschamp also owns a national championship ring from when he served as defensive coordinator in 2003 under Nick Saban at LSU.

"I think they're (Auburn) extremely fortunate to have him," Oliver said. "I think they're lucky as all get out."

Many credited Saban with being the brains behind LSU's stout defense in 2003 but Oliver said those people are mistaken.

"I don't think Saban ever really gave the credit (Muschamp) deserved at LSU. Saban is the guru but I think the real guru was Will Muschamp. This guy's a machine. He has imagination. He's going to outthink them and outwork them."

So instead of having his back up against the wall, Tuberville might again have the best staff in the SEC. Most believe Al Borges is the best offensive coordinator in the league, and with the addition of Muschamp, it would be difficult to find a better combination. Certainly, it beats what Alabama has going for it in the coordinators department.

Auburn went 13-0 in 2004 and didn't win the national championship. With this coaching lineup in place, don't be surprised to see Auburn knocking on the door again in the near future.

"I don't think Saban ever really gave the credit (Muschamp) deserved at LSU. Saban is the guru but I think the real guru was Will Muschamp. This guy's a machine. He has imagination. He's going to outthink them and outwork them."

I dont Know about that comment, I'd say it was about 50/50.

Auburn went 13-0 in 2004 and didn't win the national championship. With this coaching lineup in place, don't be surprised to see Auburn knocking on the door again in the near future.

:cheer: Yay-yah! :cheer:

Once again finescum is attempting to stir the pot. This will have uaters calling his show and pitching a hissy fit. :lol:

I say kick finescum to the curb. B)

So instead of having his back up against the wall, Tuberville might again have the best staff in the SEC. Most believe Al Borges is the best offensive coordinator in the league, and with the addition of Muschamp, it would be difficult to find a better combination. Certainly, it beats what Alabama has going for it in the coordinators department.

Although you just can't argue with this part... :big:

Although you just can't argue with this part... :big:

218532[/snapback]

Absolutely no argument from me! Although Kines isn't a bad DC, I guess. But they must be the only school in the country with TWO lousy OC's: Rader & Shula! :D

Once again finescum is attempting to stir the pot. This will have uaters calling his show and pitching a hissy fit. :lol:

218489[/snapback]

Hey, tim, get this...This will surely give you a good laugh.

Scott Moore, a HUGE UAT HOMER, said that UAT will win the WEST next year, and contend for the National Championship in 2007....He's the co-idiot(i mean co-host) on Southern Sports Tonight, a radio show we get down here.

mark my words, By October, he'll deny he ever said it....

Doesn't he know that Shula is still the head coach, and that the defense they lived off of, remember, the one Auburn TORCHED in the first 6 minutes and then put it on cruise control, is GONE? Does he realize that the only QB they had, who was average at best, is GONE??

Scott Moore, a HUGE UAT HOMER, said that UAT will win the WEST next year, and contend for the National Championship in 2007....He's the co-idiot(i mean co-host) on Southern Sports Tonight, a radio show we get down here.   

mark my words, By October, he'll deny he ever said it....

218552[/snapback]

You left out where he has said on a few occasions. . . Alabama WILL beat Auburn @ home NO QUESTION. Scott Moore needs to put the crack pipe down.

218489[/snapback]

Finebaum's articles are different from the radio show. He usually does a pretty good job with them. Catering to the shane's of the world won't get you anywhere when reading is involved and Finebaum knows this.

Great hire by CTT.  Now if CMS would give up the playcalling and hire a real OC, maybe we could keep up.

218623[/snapback]

I hear ole Noel Mazzone is in the market for a job :big:

Great hire by CTT.  Now if CMS would give up the playcalling and hire a real OC, maybe we could keep up.

218623[/snapback]

218624[/snapback]

Don't do it, it's a trick!! ;)

218623[/snapback]

218624[/snapback]

Don't do it, it's a trick!! ;)

218625[/snapback]

SHHHHH.

Rader or Mazzone? Its a wash. They would tie in a stinkfest.

218656[/snapback]

At least Rader will throw the ball down the field. I estimate that Mazzone had about 6 plays:off tackle right, off tackle left, Sweep right, sweep left, 5 yd pass to reciever in flats left, 5 yd pass to reciever in flats right.

Finebaum has FINALLY figured out what the AU family has known for years. CTT is nearly impossible to beat when his back is against the wall. I have a hard time believing that Finebaum has just figured this out. The only knock Auburn people can place against Tuberville is the fact that he sometimes gets lazy in games he is expected to win. However, if he is the underdog or isn't getting the respect he thinks the team deserves he will kick your butt every time. If he can prove to be a motivator when he is SUPPOSED to win, he will take his place with the all time great coaches.

Wake up Finebaum and tell us something we didn't already know.

Archived