Prothro love fund

GalensGhost

Bama fan friend of mine told me this week that a group of fans was setting up a "love fund" to help Tyrone Prothro out with medical bills, living expenses, etc. as he is rumored to be in some financial straits since his injury. He said he intended to contribute $100 because he wanted Pro to know that "Bama fans would do anything to help and that anything he needed, he'd get."

Caveat: I have yet to verify the existence of such a fund.

However should something like this actually exist would it be kosher in the eyes of the NCAA? While I admire the sentiment, isn't "making sure the players get whatever they need" what got Bama in the doghouse to begin with?

Can any of you 1) verify whether this "love fund" exists and/or 2) opine on the legality of such a thing?

As long as Bama doesn't know it should be alright, I mean what's a little love fund from fans compared to 3/4 million dollar houses :thumbsup:

Well, if the NCAA wouldn't let a group of people get funds together to bring the father of a "rival player" back to the US for a game, then they are sure to be up in arms over this one. IF, (thats a big IF) Prothro is indeed having financial issues, I'm all for the "family" of that school being able to do something to help out. But, the NCAA doesn't look at it that way. Chances are this fund really doesn't exist, but IF it does, the NCAA will be on it soon enough, and it won't last....

I can't see how this would be allowable. Seems like it would instantly make Prothro ineligible and also bring down the wrath of the NCAA (Isn't Bama still under it's 5-year probation? Can we say "repeat repeat offender"?) Since I find it hard to believe even Bama fans would be that dumb, I somehow doubt its veracity.

However, GG, ask your friend if he actually sent his $100 and to where...

If Prothro had real money problems, I think he could have gotten out of debt by turning pro. Admittedly, he wouldn't have been as marketable coming off his injury, but I imagine some team would have taken a chance on him, as a free agent if nothing else, and he could have gotten enough to pay medical bills, etc. That said, however, I think he made the right choice by coming back for a year to demonstrate to the pros that he can play again.

Furthermore, aren't all college players insured for injuries? I would think an insurance co. and/or UAT would be responsible for his medical bills.

I believe the university should cover the medical bills, or the NCAA actually, because it occured during a sanctioned event.

I hate to say it, cause he was a excellent player, but I don't think he will be returning to the field at least anytime soon.

But the injuries should be covered, and I highly doubt that he would lose his scholarship even if he could not play again.

As long as Bama doesn't know it should be alright, I mean what's a little love fund from fans compared to 3/4 million dollar houses  :thumbsup:

237309[/snapback]

I think part of Bama's defense in their last brush with the NCAA, was that they didn't know, wasn't it?

I believe the university should cover the medical bills, or the NCAA actually, because it occured during a sanctioned event.

But the injuries should be covered, and I highly doubt that he would lose his scholarship even if he could not play again.

237328[/snapback]

I agree, the University should cover all his expenses and the NCAA should have no problem with it. Or is that too logical?

I can't see how this would be allowable. Seems like it would instantly make Prothro ineligible and also bring down the wrath of the NCAA (Isn't Bama still under it's 5-year probation?  Can we say "repeat repeat offender"?) Since I find it hard to believe even Bama fans would be that dumb, I somehow doubt its veracity.

However, GG, ask your friend if he actually sent his $100 and to where...

If Prothro had real money problems, I think he could have gotten out of debt by turning pro.  Admittedly, he wouldn't have been as marketable coming off his injury, but I imagine some team would have taken a chance on him, as a free agent if nothing else, and he could have gotten enough to pay medical bills, etc. That said, however, I think he made the right choice by coming back for a year to demonstrate to the pros that he can play again.

Furthermore, aren't all college players insured for injuries?  I would think an insurance co. and/or UAT would be responsible for his medical bills.

237322[/snapback]

YES, they are still officially on probation. Their probation ends I believe January 31, 2007.

I am sure that he has to be covered for his medical expenses. Even in high school sports, I had to have insurance. However, I believe the universities pay for this as they do normal rehab. I wish him well...

As long as Bama doesn't know it should be alright, I mean what's a little love fund from fans compared to 3/4 million dollar houses  :thumbsup:

237309[/snapback]

I think part of Bama's defense in their last brush with the NCAA, was that they didn't know, wasn't it?

237328[/snapback]

I agree, the University should cover all his expenses and the NCAA should have no problem with it. Or is that too logical?

237329[/snapback]

Probably to logical lol

237309[/snapback]

237328[/snapback]

237329[/snapback]

Probably to logical lol

237348[/snapback]

I agree, that would be TOO fair to the kid.

I was at A-Day when Prothro was presented with his $500k check for winning the Pontiac Game Changing Performance of the Year. There he was, out there in boot... and not gonna see a dime of it. Kinda pathetic IMO.

If the kid is struggling to pay the bills, I don't see what is wrong with it.

That isn't to say it isn't illegal in the NCAA's eyes, but when was the last time we ever thought the NCAA had anything but their head up their ass?

Guest BoStillKnows

I am surprised he's not covered by workman's comp and receiveing short-term disability payments.

237309[/snapback]

237328[/snapback]

237329[/snapback]

Probably to logical lol

237348[/snapback]

I agree, that would be TOO fair to the kid.

I was at A-Day when Prothro was presented with his $500k check for winning the Pontiac Game Changing Performance of the Year. There he was, out there in boot... and not gonna see a dime of it. Kinda pathetic IMO.

237400[/snapback]

But to be fair as I'm sure he is full scholarship, if he is in class this summer he didn't have to pay the combined $3100 dollars I did for books/tuition a couple weeks ago.

I believe those Pontiac Game Changing checks go into the University of Alabama's scholarship fund, which means he probably will see a dime of that money.

Archived