Ann Coulter: Conservative Icon, Felon

TexasTiger

Coulter hires Bush recount lawyer to defend against voter fraud allegations

RAW STORY

Published: Friday June 2, 2006

Conservative cover girl Ann Coulter has hired a White House connected lawyer who represented Bush/Cheney in the 2000 election recount battles to defend against possible felony charges for voting illegally in a February election, according to an item from a Florida newspaper.

"Conservative pundit and best-selling political writer Ann Coulter has hired a white-glove, White House-connected law firm to fight allegations she voted illegally in February's Town of Palm Beach election," Jose Lambiet writes for the Palm Beach Post (link).

"And the attorney from the Miami-based Kenny Nachwalter firm is no stranger to Palm Beach voting," Lambiet notes. "Marcos Jimenez — who was, along with the more famous Olson, one of the lead attorneys who fought for George W. Bush's side in the 2000 presidential election snafu here — was assigned to Coulter."

Jimenez served as U.S. attorney for Florida's Southern District, appointed by President Bush in April of 2002 to a four year term which ended last year (link).

A poll worker reported to his supervisors that he saw Coulter try to vote in the precinct closest to her Palm Beach home. But when she was told the address on her voter's registration was elsewhere, Coulter ran out instead of correcting it and ended up voting in a precinct that wasn't hers. Knowingly voting in the wrong precinct in Florida is a felony.

Elections Supervisor Arthur Anderson gave Coulter until April 30 to explain what happened, but she has yet to answer his registered letters. Now with Jimenez, Kelly said, officials will wait "a few more weeks" before starting a procedure that could strip Coulter of her right to vote here and refer the case to State Attorney Barry Krischer for possible prosecution.

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Coulter_...er_to_0602.html

:cry3: If she were just a regular person and this happened, the DA would care less, but since she is a known political figure, they feel the need to get their names in the paper. Let me ge this straight...she went to vote where she thought she should be voting, but the person at the poll told her she should be voting somewhere else because the address showed she should be voting at another precinct. So instead of going through the bs of trying to correct that stuff on voting day, she went ahead and went to the precinct she was registered to vote at and now the DA is trying to sue her for voting illegally? What a freakin' joke! This case has no legs. Do you realize the crap she probably would have had to go through that day to get her registration changed to vote on that same day. I bet it was not just a simple thing she could have done right then and there, because if it was, she would have probably done it right then and there. Instead she goes to the precinct she was registered to vote at to vote. God forbid she case her ballot. I know she should have made sure registration was up to date, but she sure ain't the only person in the country guilty of such a thing. IMO, that is a waste of taxpayer's money to go after something so trivial. What did her voting at another precinct effect? Did her vote change some local county commission race or some state legislature race? Come on!

It sounds as though she was told where she was to vote, but she refused to go there to vote. Then she was given SEVERAL opportunities to explain herself and she refused. I don't know how big a deal this is, but you can bet she will try to use it to show how the "liberals are out to get her'. I wouldn't be surprised if this was some kind of stunt on her part to attract attention.

This country would run MUCH better without people like Ann Coulter. There are people at both ends of the political spectrum who feel the need to drive a wedge into us so that they can attract attention. Ann Coulter, Jesse Jackson, Rush Limbaugh, Michael Moore and their kind need to move to a deserted island where they can fight it out amongst themselves and leave the business of the USA to those of us who would actually like to see us prosper.

Texas has, of course, convicted Coulter long before anything's been settled. That's digging pretty deep to find some dirt on her. I guarentee you , I and virtually everyone else has done far worse, and gotten away w/ it. But because the Libs despise Coulter so much, they can't rest until they see her taken down a peg SOMEHOW.

Even if it's an imaginary voter fraud case. :rolleyes:

Texas has, of course, convicted Coulter long before anything's been settled. That's digging pretty deep to find some dirt on her. I guarentee you , I and virtually everyone else has done far worse, and gotten away w/ it. But because the Libs despise Coulter so much, they can't rest until they see her taken down a peg SOMEHOW.

Even if it's an imaginary voter fraud case.  :rolleyes:

238389[/snapback]

This is statutory law passed by the people represented legislature, not some liberal judge handing it down as Coulter often decries. "Rule of law, rule of law!"

No respect for the law on the Right. tsk, tsk, tsk.

238389[/snapback]

This is statutory law passed by the people represented legislature, not some liberal judge handing it down as Coulter often decries. "Rule of law, rule of law!"

238392[/snapback]

Doesn't matter about the law, but who decided to prosecute this case in the 1st place? I suspect it's much ado about nothing, and some liberal Dem prosecuter is fabricating this case to further the Left's politics of personal destruction.

It will , as always, fail. But it's all they have.

When I lived in Mobile, I moved and thought I had changed everything I needed to change. Low and behold when I went to vote, I was not on the voting roll for my new polling place. I was still listed at my previous residence. Several of the poll workers knew me from church and several from PTA, they allowed me to vote then and there. Was I the felon or were they? Should we all have been thrown in prison? I guess it's a good thing Tex & Shug were not there or I would have been convicted and slandered outright.

When I lived in Mobile, I moved and thought I had changed everything I needed to change.  Low and behold when I went to vote, I was not on the voting roll for my new polling place. I was still listed at my previous residence.  Several of the poll workers knew me from church and several from PTA, they allowed me to vote then and there.  Was I the felon or were they?  Should we all have been thrown in prison?  I guess it's a good thing Tex & Shug were not there or I would have been convicted and slandered outright.

238406[/snapback]

Not sure what the law is in Alabama. Good thing you weren't in Pensacola, though.

This was a local election and oftentimes the address you have effects who is on your particular ballot. If that was the case for Coulter and she cast a vote for someone she was not authorized to vote for it is a bigger deal than if that was not the case.

238389[/snapback]

238392[/snapback]

Doesn't matter about the law, but who decided to prosecute this case in the 1st place? I suspect it's much ado about nothing, and some liberal Dem prosecuter is fabricating this case to further the Left's politics of personal destruction.

It will , as always, fail. But it's all they have.

238401[/snapback]

Since once again, you failed to read and/or understand the article:

Elections Supervisor Arthur Anderson gave Coulter until April 30 to explain what happened, but she has yet to answer his registered letters. Now with Jimenez, Kelly said, officials will wait "a few more weeks" before starting a procedure that could strip Coulter of her right to vote here and refer the case to State Attorney Barry Krischer for possible prosecution.

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Coulter_...er_to_0602.html

There has been no decision to prosecute yet. There is no "Dem prosecutor" who has done anything yet. What you have is an irresponsible citizen who refuses several opportunities to explan herself and "lawyer ups" before even being charged.

If she (or anyone) had tried to vote at two different polling places, then go after them. Is that what happened? I suspect that the truth will come out shortly, but she will be vilified from the left. But from what I have seen of her, she seems to be fairly thick skinned, she can take it. If not, then she should quit what she is doing. But then that is what the left wants isn't it?

Follow the links to The BRAD BLOG [ http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00002901.htm ]

and get more of the story. Yes, “Brad” himself seems to have a left slant, or at least an anti-Coulter slant, but he also gives legitimate links to the actual legal documents involved in this case. Ignore his editorial comments and just look at the facts if you don’t care for his opinion.

While I agree this is not a “life-or-death” criminal situation, it still sounds like a case of Coulter being too busy or too careless to bother with the letter of the law. And quite hypocritical given that 1) she is a lawyer and therefore officer of the court herself, and 2) she has repeatedly dismissed complaints of voting errors in the 2000 Florida election by saying the voters were just too stupid or too ignorant to follow directions and therefore had no grounds for complaint.

"many Floridians...still recall Ms. Coulter calling our elderly voters 'hapless' and our statutory recount process 'a subterfuge for fraud, error and outright theft' during the aftermath of the 2000 presidential election."--
http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00002682.htm

Anyway, here’s what the links show:

In March, 2005 she bought a home at 242 Seabreeze Ave. in Palm Springs. ( http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/papa/aspx/w...Coulter&city=-1 ) and apparently filed for a $25,000 homestead tax exemption at that address as her primary residence.

In June, 2005, she registered to vote in Palm Springs but gave her real estate agent’s address, 999 Indian Rd, on the voter registration form that she signed next to the oath: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that … All information on this form is true. I understand that if it is not true, I can be convicted of a felony of the third degree and fined up to $5,000 and/or imprisoned for up to five years." ( http://www.bradblog.com/Docs/AnnCoulter_Vo...Application.htm ). This is three months after she had been supposedly living at the Seabreeze house. Now, even if she never actually tried to vote, is this not lying under oath on an official government document?

On February 7, 2006, she showed up to vote in precinct 1198 of her Seabreeze home and was told her voter registration form showed the other address. She asked where the polling place for other address was and was told “St. Edward’s Church”. She was given the opportunity to complete a change of address form at that time so she could vote at precinct 1198, but instead left hurriedly. She later voted in the St. Edward’s Church precinct where she did not actually reside. ( http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00002807.htm )

She then ignored a registered letter dated March 27, 2006 from the Supervisor of Elections asking for an explanation of her actions within 30 days and as of June 2 had still not responded to the request. ( http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00002901.htm )

Finally, when questioned about these events, she denies that she even lives in Palm Beach, which puts into question not only her actual voting on election day, but her oath on the registration form and even her $25,000 homestead exemption:

Ann Coulter spoke on my campus tonight, and I asked her "I was just wondering if you would like to respond to allegations that you knowingly voted in the wrong precinct in Palm Beach."

She responded that "No, I don't live in Palm Beach. Maybe you shouldn't read retarded news!"

( http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00002807.htm )

So, was she lying when she applied for a homestead exemption, lying when she registered to vote, or lying when she responded to this student's question?

Face it, if a Democrat had done all this, Ann would crucify him while simultaneously "tearing him a new one".

Follow the links to The BRAD BLOG [ http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00002901.htm ]

and get more of the story. Yes, “Brad” himself seems to have a left slant, or at least an anti-Coulter slant, but he also gives legitimate links to the actual legal documents involved in this case.  Ignore his editorial comments and just look at the facts if you don’t care for his opinion.

While I agree this is not a “life-or-death” criminal situation, it still sounds like a case of Coulter being too busy or too careless to bother with the letter of the law.  And quite hypocritical given that 1) she is a lawyer and therefore officer of the court herself, and 2) she has repeatedly dismissed complaints of voting errors in the 2000 Florida election by saying the voters were just too stupid or too ignorant to follow directions and therefore had no grounds for complaint.

"many Floridians...still recall Ms. Coulter calling our elderly voters 'hapless' and our statutory recount process 'a subterfuge for fraud, error and outright theft' during the aftermath of the 2000 presidential election."--
http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00002682.htm

Anyway, here’s what the links show:

In March, 2005 she bought a home at 242 Seabreeze Ave. in Palm Springs. ( http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/papa/aspx/w...Coulter&city=-1 ) and apparently filed for a $25,000 homestead tax exemption at that address as her primary residence.

In June, 2005, she registered to vote in Palm Springs but gave her real estate agent’s address, 999 Indian Rd, on the voter registration form that she signed next to the oath: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that … All information on this form is true. I understand that if it is not true, I can be convicted of a felony of the third degree and fined up to $5,000 and/or imprisoned for up to five years." ( http://www.bradblog.com/Docs/AnnCoulter_Vo...Application.htm ). This is three months after she had been supposedly living at the Seabreeze house. Now, even if she never actually tried to vote, is this not lying under oath on an official government document?

On February 7, 2006, she showed up to vote in precinct 1198 of her Seabreeze home and was told her voter registration form showed the other address. She asked where the polling place for other address was and was told “St. Edward’s Church”. She was given the opportunity to complete a change of address form at that time so she could vote at precinct 1198, but instead left hurriedly. She later voted in the St. Edward’s Church precinct where she did not actually reside. ( http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00002807.htm )

She then ignored a registered letter dated March 27, 2006 from the Supervisor of Elections asking for an explanation of her actions within 30 days and as of June 2 had still not responded to the request. ( http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00002901.htm )

Finally, when questioned about these events, she denies that she even lives in Palm Beach, which puts into question not only her actual voting on election day, but her oath on the registration form and even her $25,000 homestead exemption:

Ann Coulter spoke on my campus tonight, and I asked her "I was just wondering if you would like to respond to allegations that you knowingly voted in the wrong precinct in Palm Beach."

She responded that "No, I don't live in Palm Beach. Maybe you shouldn't read retarded news!"

So, was she lying when she applied for a homestead exemption, lying when she registered to vote, or lying when she responded to this student's question?

Face it, if a Democrat had done all this, Ann would crucify him while simultaneously "tearing him a new one".

238452[/snapback]

Rest assured, somehow, a librul is to blame for this!

:big:

238453[/snapback]

Sure they are. A liberal would rather go after a conserevative figure rather then terrorists.

238453[/snapback]

Sure they are. A liberal would rather go after a conserevative figure rather then terrorists.

238487[/snapback]

Thanks for supplying the sheer idiocy I predicted. "If you criticize Coulter, you're a friend of terrorists." That explains why you are in the remaining 1/3 of Americans who make up Bush's "hardcore base."

Doesn't matter about the law

Thanks for clearing that up.

238405[/snapback]

First of all, you've already convicted her by branding her a 'felon'. Then you ammend your position by saying that she's not even been prosecuted yet. So, how then can she be a felon?

But you don't see this as being any sort of game of 'gotchya' on Ms Coulter, do you? Naww. Such things happen all the time, especially to very vocal, high profile conservatives.

I suspect the facts will come out before it's all over. Don't know why you'd deny her her rights to seek a lawyer.

June 8 and the controversy continues:

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/...on/14767816.htm

Conservative pundit Ann Coulter is clear on where she stands on politics. But where she votes is another matter.

Election officials in Palm Beach County, Fla., are reportedly investigating why Coulter voted in the wrong precinct in a local election in February- even though a poll worker tried to stop her.

Knowingly voting in the wrong precinct is a felony in Florida, and Coulter has hired a former U.S. attorney to defend her there.

Coulter registered to vote at her Realtor's address when she bought a $1.8 million Palm Beach home last year. But instead of filing a change of address as a poll worker told her to do, she went ahead and voted in the wrong precinct, the Palm Beach Post reported.

Coulter denied knowingly voting in the wrong district in a Fox News Channel interview Tuesday night, and said she actually lives in New York. (?!?)

She said the reporters who wrote about the case are "all retarded" and accused Palm Beach officials of having a sexually transmitted disease.

"I think the syphilis has gone to their brains," she said. "This is all false, I'm telling you."

Meanwhile, Coulter is also registered to vote in New Canaan, Conn. - though the local registrar told the Daily News yesterday it's illegal to be registered in two places at once.

Coulter cast an absentee ballot in New Canaan in the 2004 election. She also owns a $1.5 million condo on Manhattan's East Side but has never registered to vote there.

But at least my earlier question has been answered:

So by her own admission on FOX News, she lives in New York. Meaning she was telling the truth when she answer the student's question with "I don't live in Palm Beach". She was only lying when she registered, voted, and applied for a homestead exemption in Palm Beach. Of course, one wonders why she registered and voted in Florida and Connecticut IF SHE IS A NEW YORK RESIDENT!

Ann: I know you are the lawyer and I'm not, and you've hired other lawyers to advise you. But may I offer my advice as a layman? Remember the Miranda clause that says "anything you say can and will be used against you"? Keep your mouth shut about your residence. Don't go on the record at FOX and give the Florida prosecutors extra ammo when challenging you about your Florida residence and voting!

Archived