"I'm not Goodie two shoes."

Tigermike

From the "Non Compos Mentis" Files...

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, who has skillfully helped to create the appearance of a Republican "culture of corruption" to win back Congress for the Demos this year, found himself caught up in an ethics flap this week. He accepted ringside seats to boxing matches by the Nevada Athletic Commission in 2004 and 2005 when they were trying to prevent federal legislation from regulating the sport. Reid's excuse was that he wanted to make sure that boxing was being conducted properly in his home state.

"I'm not Goodie two shoes." — Senate featherweight Harry Reid

Senator Featherweight defended his actions by saying, "Anyone from Nevada would say 'I'm glad he is there taking care of the state's No. 1 businesses.' I love the fights anyways, so it wasn't like being punished... I'm not Goodie two shoes. I just feel these events are nothing I did wrong." But on Wednesday, when it became known that fellow Senator John McCain, who sat next to Reid at one bout, actually paid for his own ticket, Reid reversed himself and announced he will no longer accept such gifts. The about-face probably came quick enough for the Leftmedia to quash the story before Reid's hypocrisy could become known to voters. Now, after the Jefferson and Reid debacles, Democrats are scrambling to save their campaign strategy of painting the Republicans as the "party of corruption."

Regarding the redistribution of your income...

Liberals constantly bang on their highchairs complaining about "tax cuts for the rich" and "windfall profits" by oil companies in an effort (somewhat successful to date) to convince Americans that the economy is not good at all. Yet stubborn facts tell a different tale. "Tax cuts for the rich" have yielded quite a "windfall" themselves in the last four years for the U.S. Treasury. April's tax receipts were up 13.5 percent from the previous year, with the majority of that coming from investment taxes that are paid by the wealthy. Indeed, the "rich" (that ten percent of the population making at least $251,400 a year) will pay over 56 percent of all federal taxes this year, much of which do-gooder politicians redistribute to others, impeding greater economic progress. However, the only news the Leftmedia wants you to hear is that despite the heavy tax burden, the rich are getting richer. The problem for them is that the poor are getting richer too.

From the "Regulatory Commissars" File...

Speaking of taxes, the war has continued to be a burden for taxpayers for years. In fact, a three-percent excise tax on phone service was enacted just to pay for the war—by the way, it was the Spanish-American War. Now, after only 108 years (and 18 administrations), the Bush administration has pushed to repeal what was originally billed as a "temporary" tax. Before we give them too much credit, however, multiple court rulings on the illegality of the tax in a time when price is not based on call distance have forced the administration's hand. Then-Treasury Secretary John Snow announced that the IRS will cease collecting the tax on long-distance calls and issue refunds for the past three years, though it will still collect the tax on local calls. Here's a crazy idea: Repeal the tax altogether! Rep. Gary Miller's Telephone Excise Tax Repeal Act (HR 1898), aims to do just that. The war is over, after all.

link

This is a non-issue. If it were a republican, it would be a huge deal. But we have come to expect the sweeping under the rug when it comes to demoncratic issues.

Archived