Arkansas to get new Turf

WarTiger

Link

Arkansas to play on new FieldTurf surface in '06

Associated Press

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- When The Arkansas Razorbacks take the field at War Memorial Stadium on Oct. 28 against Louisiana-Monroe for a nationally televised game, the artificial turf should gleam greenly for the cameras -- and the yardage markers should be bright white -- because the turf will be only a few months old.

Stadium officials say they'll pay $400,000 to install a new turf surface in the stadium over the summer.

The new surface is needed because the current turf -- installed in 2002 -- is losing the white fibers that make up the markings for sidelines, end zones and yardage lines every five yards.

"The whites just disappearing," stadium manager Charlie Staggs said. "It's just real dingy looking."

When it was installed just four years ago, the AstroPlay turf was expected to last for years. But Jeff Bresee, a Texas-based turf engineer who consulted with the commission on its new surface, said the sports industry jumped on the AstroPlay bandwagon perhaps a bit too fast and hard.

War Memorial Stadium Commission chairman Gary Smith says the new turf is expected to last 10 to 12 years.

The new surface is to be installed by Montreal-based FieldTurf International Inc. Work should begin as early as Monday, and the commission expects it to be completed at least two weeks before the stadium's first football game of the season, an Aug. 29 matchup between Benton and Bryant high schools.

I guess there is some reason why they can't just repaint the white areas? My knowledge of this new fieldturf stuff (like AU's practice field, Ga Dome) is limited. I know for the Ga Dome the paint can somehow be removed and then reapplied -> The same playing surface is used for Falcons, Peach Bowl, & Ga H.S. Football playoffs, but with different graphics (endzone, midfield).

Did I just read that right?  Arkansas vs LM is going to be televised nationally?

240906[/snapback]

I was scanning the arky boards and that TV contract was apparently a concession granted when the USC/Arky game was being scheduled. I believe the network had to agree to televise the LM game to get arky to agree to a particular date/time for the USC game.

Or I could be retarded and making this stuff up. You decide. B)

Did I just read that right?  Arkansas vs LM is going to be televised nationally?

240906[/snapback]

I was scanning the arky boards and that TV contract was apparently a concession granted when the USC/Arky game was being scheduled. I believe the network had to agree to televise the LM game to get arky to agree to a particular date/time for the USC game.

Or I could be retarded and making this stuff up. You decide. B)

240908[/snapback]

I heard that as well. Which - :arky: boards do you read? I'm a woopig fan.

Why show the nation you can destroy LM? :blink: Better question how do you cover/ spin this if LM beats you? Anyone remember UCF or NIU or Maine how about a few resident bammers?

You know Boise State has that beautiful blue field, I think it would be great if Arkansas whould have a red field. :big:

new_turf.jpg

so does arky do what uat used to do and play some of their home games off site of the campus?

240922[/snapback]

Yes they do play in Little Rock at times. Unfortunately I was at the AU/AR game in Little Rock when Tiny Terry was HC. :puke:

so does arky do what uat used to do and play some of their home games off site of the campus?

240922[/snapback]

Yes they do play in Little Rock at times. Unfortunately I was at the AU/AR game in Little Rock when Tiny Terry was HC. :puke:

240934[/snapback]

Me too unfortunately. I lived in Fayetteville at the time. Poor Stephen Davis did everything he could to get us back in that game and Tater Tot just refused to let him have the ball.

BTW for those of you who don't know War Memoerial stadium is a about a half step above Legion Field.

240922[/snapback]

240934[/snapback]

Me too unfortunately. I lived in Fayetteville at the time. Poor Stephen Davis did everything he could to get us back in that game and Tater Tot just refused to let him have the ball.

BTW for those of you who don't know War Memoerial stadium is a about a half step above Legion Field.

240970[/snapback]

Wow that isn't saying much for War Memorial. I read woopig and some of them hate that place. But of course Nutt loves WM, because he is a doofus and he hardly loses there, because he plays the ULM's of the world there.

Archived