The other football....

Ranger12

Well lets see...

for starters...you might see one or two flops in a basketball game. And no when they go down they dont SCREAM and CRY every single time like in soccer. And no, they never come off of the strectcher unless something is sticking out of some other thing that it shouldnt.

I saw more than two flops in last nights game. Only thing I said about the stretcher was I don't know why they use it all the time in soccer, never anything about it in basketball, vs here where two trainers take you off the field. I agree'd with you and said that the overacting in soccer is terrible and I dislike it.

Secondly, to say kickers are soccer players who couldnt hack it is funny.

Alot of the kickers in the HS level do so cause they don't start in soccer, was talking skill level.

Third...to compare a kicker flopping to an ENTIRE GAME'S strategy being built around the ability to flop is weak. If the kicker flops...it leads to 15 yards...not to a guy getting ejected, the team playing a man down, and they guy having to SIT OUT THE NEXT GAME. That is freaking stupid. In a sport that is already ruled by how subjective a ref is...to allow subjectivity to be even more impressed upon by actors and crybabies removes the "athletic" part that is necessary for it to be a sport.

Your going way above what I said. It has some of strats, just like trying to get a charge, a base, or a first down and its not the entire games strat. Read what I said again, that the cards that are being givin are ridiculas and being overdone, especially cause of what you said.. you play a man down and lose the guy for the next game. The cards are suppose to work like getting two personal fouls in football or two technical fouls in basketball (both are a ejection), or a person can be ejected in basketball in the case of a flagrant foul (Stackhouse was suspended last night for what was deemed a flagrant foul, and after watching last nights game you can't tell me calls in baseketball aren't subjective). I was agreeing with you and discussing how the cards are suppose to be used. Balboa made the comment during the US game several times that the ref was ruining the game and he was. Beckenbaur, one of the games legends says they are being misused and ruining the game. They are suppose to be giving cards for the actors, but aren't, wish they would, and I agree with you on the acting. It is stupid that someone be ejected on a routine foul or dive. I was glad to see the US team didn't do any acting, took a couple of dives, but noone but McBride who took a cut to the eye went to the side.

A better test would be for you to repeat every single soccer tackle on someone that happened in a game. And see just how many of those require me to leave on a stretcher...or even roll around screaming and whining. Not just the worst possible soccer tackle that happens a little bit of the time. Then you let me attempt every single type of tackle that makes people scream and yell on the football field (which is like less than 1%). And usually is the result of something bone or appendage pointing in an unintended direction until reset by a physician or trainer.

Going through the ankle isn't the worst and doesn't happen a little bit. It happens alot, on the missed ones (which are part of the game, and it is stupid to card for every missed tackle cause they happen) due to players change of speed or ball moves the ankle usually get hits. Even clean tackles that win the ball continue through the ankles. Point was that it does hurt and they even get fractured or ligament damage, but like I said all the actors have overshadowed it so everyone thinks every one is a dive or act. I was just gonna let you hit me to be fair lol.

I guess the post came out wrong. Acting happens in every sport, severe acting in soccer going on sucks and I dislike it. Distribution of cards is being abused and done at a ridiculas rate. Tackles can be physical and result in injury, but the stupid actors, which become more and more prevelant, make it look like everyone is a wuss

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there a FIFA-sanctioned "Franz" Broyles award? You got some bad comps there.  Baseball slides are intended to take out the 2B/SS to prevent the DP - the soccer slide should be an attempt to disown the ball.  Guys who have leg injuries in football are truly injured, they aren't faking for a call, and won't be making a "heroic" re-entrance moments later.  Prothro/Closner/Britt definitely weren't faking (although if I were caught wearing dark pink in front of thousands, I would want a quick ride out of there as well, but not with the floppy leg stuff!)  And, football kickers are soccer rejects - yeah cause there are so many opportunities for scholarships to play in front of thousands in soccer.  (Duval was a terrible soccer player - so was a guy from Hewitt I played against who kicked for Miami back in the very early 90's).  Basketball players flop only to draw a charge, and are not faking a melodramatic injury.

I grew up playing soccer in Alabama, all the way up through high school in the late 80s - one of the first four-year lettermen in school history (along with 2 classmates), third on the team in goals scored (since I was nearly a half-foot taller than most of the guys, I was the target on many corners), so I was not a complete scab.  Soccer was fun, but you know what ruined it for me?  Super rah-rah soccer-is-great year-round expensive club season no-time-for-other sports "weenies" like what you are sounding like.  After a couple of years at Auburn, I decided to go play soccer on the club team.  At the third practice, I went a block up Thatch and met a group of much less pretentious guys, playing a sport that was more fun (at least to me) and had a much better time doing it, and by the end of spring I was a scrummie in the first 15.  (No doubt you've heard that soccer is a gentleman's game played by hooligans, and rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen).

So what would you prove by cleating a guy?  That it hurts?  That's not the argument being made here, because the fakers are not receiving that type of contact - the closest I saw was the first US red card.  So, what I see is that you are offering to cheap-shot somebody who likely has never played soccer, to prove what a great cool soccer player you are/were?   That would be a deliberate and legitimate foul, which I have seen to cause broken ankles and fibulas - doesn't do anything to offset the fact that the fakers and Ernest Angley miraculous sideline healings sully the "beautiful game" to an ugly foreign spectacle with at times all the fairness and honesty of figure skating.

So, if I take you up on the toughguy slide tackle, and ruck over you to return the favor, what would that prove?  (Although it should be noted that one, the way you describe, is a foul that should result in a card, and the other is a legal and fair play within the flow of the game).  If you're trying to impress or win over these soccer haters with that bravado, I would expect it to have the opposite effect.  You come across more as that fat over-forty guy bragging about hs football glory days.  Don't be the soccer equivalent of Al Bundy.  Just accept that some people will never get it, and that's OK - a lot of people don't get rugby, cricket, tennis, bowling, curling, .......

Ya, I guess the comparisons come out wrong.

My club coach was in the Bayern Munich system in Germany before injury. We were taught to take the man along with the ball. Which if from anywhere but behind if you go through the ball you can go through the man legally. In reference to baseball slides, if you put a ball at their feet the players contact in a similar manner. I lettered a couple years at second base.

I wasn't referring to real injured football players. Friends and I made jokes all last season about guys that would get burned, then lay their like they were hurt or grab a part like injured like a excuse. I wasn't even the one that pointed it out, and both were football players.

If there was a thread titled I hate soccer, I wouldn't even read or post in it, it their thread for hating the sport. I wouldn't go over and try and change their opinion. Its cool for people to dislike the sport, to each his own. If you don't like it then don't jump in with I hate it when people are discussing it and make false statements, let em discuss it. Thats a two way street. Not really a rugby fan, had a roommate that played at Auburn, but if you discuss rugby I'm not gonna jump in and say what a stupid sport it has no strategy and they are weenies cause you can't tackle above the waist (don't know the full rule btw, just remember hearing it.. even more cause for me to stay out it). Which if I did I'm sure you would point out the faults, just like you attacked me cause I said Alabama players came across as weenies. Probably more defensive than I should be cause you can't discuss it without somone having to insult it.

I hate the fact that the actors that embellish everything and take dives these days have given the impression that everything is a act. Probably the better thing to have said was to watch a cup from 10 years ago (where the refs didn't call as many fouls, give cards, and ignored actors and were not as numerous) vs todays.

I wouldn't consider what I was calling cheap shots. Missed tackles happen in that manner, cleats go through with the foot flat on the ground and they go through on clean tackles that win the ball. Win the ball first and the follow through of the tackle takes you through its not a foul, which happens all the time. Not trying to throw out bravado, just make the point that broken ankles, fibulas, torn knees do happen on routine fouls and clean tackles and everyone isn't acting.

I apologize if I insulted you with the Alabama comment. We never had a Alabama team stay within 4 goals of us and the players and parents constantly complained about how physical we were and we were not taking cheap shots. They also were not used to the shirt tugging, holding, and strength of shoulder charges that we were accustomed to in our league and other large tournys we played in.

Also probably came across as more bitchy than I should have also cause of the day, neither my grandfather or dad are here so Fathers Day really sucks. So I apologize to anyone else I may have came across with as a jerk or harsh to.

Didn't insult me with the criticism of Alabama club teams. Many of the guys I played with who played pretty much year-round with the clubs were decent enough players, but they were a bit too elitist in many regards. I particularly remember before a high school match with the neighboring rival school a couple of my teammates asking me to not start anything or get overly physical with the other side, because they played together during the summer and fall club seasons (I guess I was always a rugger at heart). The guys who would have paid the money to travel and play soccer during the club season are more of the Mt Brook, Vestavia, Indian Springs, Altamont folks, and in general their gentility would expect a little less contact within the game - no doubt they would not welcome it. As far as being whiny, they would likely complain about anything if they were losing, and no doubt the limited international flavor of B'ham (compared to Dallas) hindered their progress and ability. (I went to a public county high school, with two working parents who couldn't get me to summertime club practices even if I wanted to, which I didn't because summer is for fun - basketball, girls, trouble, fireworks, etc.)

I've been tackled on both pitches, and although I have never broken one of my own bones, a broken ankle is not as big a risk as a broken neck from a collapsed scrum or a leg injury from a dropped maul.

Oh, and what the laws of rugby prohibit are "high tackles" (anything over the shoulder such as clotheslining), and failing to wrap up (such as just chucking someone to knock them down - gotta wrap up and take them to the ground). Anything on the ground is grass. (Ruck over.............)

Didn't insult me with the criticism of Alabama club teams. Many of the guys I played with who played pretty much year-round with the clubs were decent enough players, but they were a bit too elitist in many regards. I particularly remember before a high school match with the neighboring rival school a couple of my teammates asking me to not start anything or get overly physical with the other side, because they played together during the summer and fall club seasons (I guess I was always a rugger at heart). The guys who would have paid the money to travel and play soccer during the club season are more of the Mt Brook, Vestavia, Indian Springs, Altamont folks, and in general their gentility would expect a little less contact within the game - no doubt they would not welcome it. As far as being whiny, they would likely complain about anything if they were losing, and no doubt the limited international flavor of B'ham (compared to Dallas) hindered their progress and ability. (I went to a public county high school, with two working parents who couldn't get me to summertime club practices even if I wanted to, which I didn't because summer is for fun - basketball, girls, trouble, fireworks, etc.)

I've been tackled on both pitches, and although I have never broken one of my own bones, a broken ankle is not as big a risk as a broken neck from a collapsed scrum or a leg injury from a dropped maul.

Oh, and what the laws of rugby prohibit are "high tackles" (anything over the shoulder such as clotheslining), and failing to wrap up (such as just chucking someone to knock them down - gotta wrap up and take them to the ground). Anything on the ground is grass. (Ruck over.............)

241758[/snapback]

Ya, a elitist attitude does follow with alot of your traveling club teams, especially the ones that go out of state. Seen in the Auburn team myself. Can't believe they asked you to back off in HS though, when we went up against fellow club players in HS we were more physical with them and really went at it. Guy that was the midfielder next me and myself got ejected from two games going at with each other.. course we laughed it off after the game.

I think the international comment is accurate also. We played overseas teams (England, Germany, Spain etc), but we played alot of Mexican teams from Mexico or from Texas, some from California. Very physical and very dirty the Mexicans. Was alot of adult teams made up of oversea's players also, like Trinidad we would scrimmage alot... those guys were cool. The Birmingham teams we played were not used to having someone tugging their shirt the whole time, tackles that swept the player as well as the ball, or the use of shoulders and hips to knock them off the ball, then we they did get frustrated and a little cheap were not prepared for us when we got cheap right back. Though the Birmingham players I've seen lately are tons better than they used to be as I have played pick up games with them.

I knew there was some rugby rules on tackling, basically I can't just dive into you with my shoulder hoping to knock you down then right? Always liked the rugby players here that I met, good guys and good parties. I tried to get into it, but just couldn't, though I think it might have been the leagues they showed mostly on TV. I remember seeing a South American or African team once, and they moved the ball more swiftly vs the European teams which seemed to use more power to me and like that game. I don't know if that is a accurate description as my rugby knowledge is limited and don't know the strats for attacking and defending. Just remember it being really different, like England using the long ball style and Brazil using the short controlled passing style in soccer.

Dang. I had no idea my post would turn into something like this. Heck, I was just posting for anybody that was watching the US/Italy game at the time. Had no idea it was going to turn into a debate about the sport.

Like I said, I am not a fan of the sport because of problems I have with refs, the way fans overseas act like thugs at the events, and the way it seems like US fans tried to shove it down everybody elses throat. I really don't have anything against soccer itself. I can't say I don't like it because it is boring or low scoring, because I like to watch golf (slow and can be boring) and hockey (generally low scoring and can be hard to watch on TV). I am not going to slam a sport just because I did not play it or because I don't understand it. Everybody has their sport they like and also have their sport they like and gravitate too. I hear others call soccer "uppity", but some of the things I have heard said about soccer from those same people sounds "uppity" also. I am one of those that have said uppity things the past about soccer and have even called it a communist sport. :lol: However, in the last couple of years, I have not been so hard on the game, but I still have some issues with it and odds are that I will not watch any soccer after the US is eliminated or if by some miracle they win it. Again, I am mainly watching it because out of a sense of "patriotic duty", especially on how they have been treated by other countries. With that said, my son will play baseball, basketball, and football with no soccer in his athletic future. Now, if I was to have another daughter, I will consider letting her play, but that is because there are not as many options for girls and soccer is getting close to, if it is not already, the sport played the most by girls in this country.

For those of you that are completely negative about soccer, let me ask you this, what if :au: had a team in the men's or women's national championship game. Would you still be so totally against it that you would not pull for them or would you let down your guard and show interest in the sport just for that occasion? I am sure most of you would be temporarily showing some interest in soccer. Well, the same is for me with this World Cup. I am willing to temporarily back off my distaste for soccer to pull for my country.

Like I said, I am not a fan of the sport because of problems I have with refs,

241785[/snapback]

Alot of huge soccer fans, and even legendary players have problems with the refs atm. They are ruining this cup. Myself being one of them. Agree with the thugs also, sad thing is the United States is starting to get its share of thugs at pro events, in any sport you should be able to go have a good time and not worry about saftey. I hope the attitude Americans have toward the actors on the field sinks in and sticks with US players. cause I hate that crap myself.

I love hockey. Can't watch golf though, but I won't jump in and say bah golf on tv play a real sport lol. I know I don't have the skill to play golf lol or maybe the patience.

Each to his own on what they like, I appreciate you taking the time to watch and support the US team. I don't care if anyone ever watches a MLS game (hell, I prefer the German league or Italian to MLS myself) or another league, but I would like to see them support the US team once every 4 years. Like I support volleyball etc of our olympic teams, won't watch it ever except US olympics. Well, I do watch the hot female beach ones lol, but thats due to the uniforms.

And your right, if the womens team won the NC this year, thread would be woohoo 5 NCs for Auburn this year, check out our athletic department. Then a Alabama would come in and go bleh its soccer doesn't matter, and then we would go how many NC's Alabama win this year.

Lol, and don't tell your son he can't play soccer. My dad did that with me about soccer and football in the beginning... had no desire to play organized football cause of it. Rolf and mom started looking for camps to spend money on just to piss him off for not letting her children think freely. Course it didn't bother him when he got to start bragging though.

Lol, and don't tell your son he can't play soccer. My dad did that with me about soccer and football in the beginning... had no desire to play organized football cause of it. Rolf and mom started looking for camps to spend money on just to piss him off for not letting her children think freely. Course it didn't bother him when he got to start bragging though.

241801[/snapback]

Well, I know he want play for sure because of two reasons, he has already gotten into the other sports I mentioned and likes playing them, especially baseball, so there is no room for soccer to fit into the schedule. Also, the area he lives in, Danville, which is in a very rural area, has no soccer. He would have to drive into Decatur, where I live, or Hartselle to play in league teams and that is not going to happen just because of the logistics. Because of him living in a rural area, Danville High School is a small 3A school that barely fields enough players for a football team, much less have enough interest to field a soccer team. Add to the fact that he is really invovled in Boy Scouts, there is not hours in the day and days in the year to add another sport. I was the same when I was the kid except that I did martial arts instead of boys scout. Eventually, as I got older, I had to drop something because my younger brother was playing sports and we only had one car. Also, four activities, with marital arts being year around, was getting to be too much. So , I dropped my Tae Kwan Do. I figure my son will have to do the same one day, but going by his interest level right now, I would have to say he will drop basketball before he drops Boy Scouts. I tell you one thing, I don't see how the heck my parents did it, having two boy, and then eventually my little sister all in sports at the same time. I guess it did help that I was the only one that played three sports and we did eventually get a second car. Also remember getting rides with family and friends that played on the same team as me. I was one of those lucky teenagers that my parents were thanking God when I got my driver's license. My dad wasted no time in getting me my first car, a 1972 Camaro. No more dragging my butt around to games for them.

Ah, my bad ranger I thought you were refering to a future son.

I'm with you, amazing the time my parents spent driving me around. Then being on that traveling team its almost amazing they made it to any of my sisters events. I probably should have thanked them more during that time, but course never realized how much they gave up and how hetic it made their life till later.

I had to drop baseball and cross country for soccer. Like freebody was saying those club teams go year round with no time for anything else. Choice was easy for me though, cause college coach's started sending letters and stuff about their camps and interest when I got into HS for soccer and the other sports were not. Now basketball was a sport that I flat out could not play even when i tried, I'm the stereotype when they say white boys can't play haha. Then being 5'9 and 180 with a 4.5 or 6 40 I knew football wasn't in my future even if I did decide to play. Which I guess I didn't have the size for basketball either lol.

So wish I'd grown up in a hockey area though (Dallas wasn't till recently when the Stars got good), would have loved to tried that sport out.

I have to go rearrange my sock drawer now.... :blink:

:au::homer:

Archived