The other football....

Ranger12

I have never been a fan of soccer. I actually I have always despised it and have said my son will never play it. I would have no problem with my daughter playing it. I just could not stand how much they players would fake getting knocked down and hurt.

However, I am finding myself getting caught up in the World Cup hoopla. I am sitting here watching the US vs. Italy and I find myself yelling at the TV. My wife thinks I have lost my mind because I am watching soccer and actually getting into it. I even got ticked when some Italian jerk elbowed one of our guys. They threw his butt out of the game. :lol:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I left the room for a second when the US was down 0-1.  What did i miss?  Was someone ejected?  How did the US score?

241318[/snapback]

yeah we scored just right after Italy scored. Then right after that one of their guys elbowed ours in the face and got a red car for it.

Now one of our guys just got a red card for what I think was a cheesy call. This is one of the reasons I really don't like soccer. I don't like how the refs have so much control on the outcome of the game. For them to decide what offense gets a yellow card and what gets a red card at their discretion is a little suspicious in my book. Like the commentators said, that US guy should have gotten a yellow card instead of a red card, but the ref gave a red card just to even things back up. Then they bring a stretcher out to the field to get the Italian guy that was just simply tripped. Come on, give me a break! I've been hit harder then that playing backyard tackle football.

Why do they keep calling it a "make up call". Make up calls are to make up for a MISTAKE. Giving that first guy a red card for cold cocking someone was not a mistake...

Why do they keep calling it a "make up call". Make up calls are to make up for a MISTAKE. Giving that first guy a red card for cold cocking someone was not a mistake...

241321[/snapback]

That was what I was thinking. That is why a called it a "even things back up" call, because that was all they were doing.

Another bs call and now the US is down to 9 men. That ref is a moron. No wonder soccer has so many riots. Soccer refs have more control of their sport then any ref in any other sport.

I hope an angry mob finds that ref after the game..... the most horrible calls I've ever seen in my life <_< I'm starting to wonder if this game is fixed with those calls.

Going to be very difficult for US to hang on and win this one. We really need a win if we want to have a chance to advance to the round of 16.

I have never been a fan of soccer. I actually I have always despised it and have said my son will never play it. I would have no problem with my daughter playing it. I just could not stand how much they players would fake getting knocked down and hurt.

However, I am finding myself getting caught up in the World Cup hoopla. I am sitting here watching the US vs. Italy and I find myself yelling at the TV. My wife thinks I have lost my mind because I am watching soccer and actually getting into it. I even got ticked when some Italian jerk elbowed one of our guys. They threw his butt out of the game. :lol:

241317[/snapback]

My 2 boys have both played soccer & football. I'm not about to tell them which sports they should or shouldn't play. I never played the game growing up but I've picked up an interest in the game through my kid's association -- I was even a referee one year. I think soccer's offside rule is the lamest, most anti-scoring rule in all of sport. Where else can you get penalized for being aggressive & opportunistic?

Also, the game is not conducive to innovation. With football, we've seen the evolution of different offenses over time: single wing, T, I, pro set, double wing, wishbone, veer, west coast, spread option, etc. It's always changing and the defenses have to adapt. With soccer, ... you kick the ball down the field & hope someone can head the ball in from a corner kick. :rolleyes:

Oh well, I still would like to see the US win. U --- S --- A!

I hope an angry mob finds that ref after the game..... the most horrible calls I've ever seen in my life  <_<   I'm starting to wonder if this game is fixed with those calls.

241327[/snapback]

Probably not fixed but having a biased to not wanting the US to win.

We have to win this!!!

Wow, just took a goal away.... <_<

You know, alot of these players would make great actors... I think I've seen about 4 Italy players just fall on the ground acting like they've just been shot, only to get right up and start playing.

Wow, just took a goal away....  <_<

You know, alot of these players would make great actors...  I think I've seen about 4 Italy players just fall on the ground acting like they've just been shot, only to get right up and start playing.

241333[/snapback]

yeah...you gotta love the acting jobs these guys do when somebody knocks them down. You would think the broke their freakin leg

That was a great send in by Donovan. We screwed that up.

look at me acting like I know what I am talking about. :lol:

They way I figure it by the standings for us to go to the next round:

We will need to beat Ghana, which would give them 2 losses, and Italy will need to be the Czhecks, giving them 2 losses.

Good job for the US holding to a draw being down a man.

We will need to beat Ghana, which would give them 2 losses, and Italy will need to be the Czhecks, giving them 2 losses.

241341[/snapback]

Being down 2 men <_<

This actually was one of the better matches I've seen since the World Cup started.

241341[/snapback]

Being down 2 men <_<

This actually was one of the better matches I've seen since the World Cup started.

241342[/snapback]

yeah we were down 2 men, but they were down 1 man, so we were actually just one man down compared to them. But I see your point, we should not have lost either man whereas their guy was obvious.

Its soccer, if your kids arent playing, who cares?

241357[/snapback]

Ditto.

Soccer is sort of like basketball; the only reason people play it is so they don't have to watch it.

Its soccer, if your kids arent playing, who cares?

241357[/snapback]

great attitude.....

241370[/snapback]

LOL

Soccer sucks. :puke:

Hey guys give me a break. Look who you are talking too here. I get a little patriotic anytime the US is involved in any kind of sport. Like I said I normally feel the same way about soccer. But after reading about some of the bs our US mens soccer team has went through when they have visited other countries, I have taken an interest in this World Cup stuff. I would love to see us show some off these jerkhole countries up. After the World Cup or if the US is eliminated, whichever comes first, you want be seeing me watching any more soccer on TV.

Its all about pulling for my country, not trying to advocate becoming a soccer junkie. :D

Guest Tigrinum Major

Soccer is sort of like basketball; the only reason people play it is so they don't have to watch it.

241367[/snapback]

Calm down and stop hatin' on basketball.

I say we put Ray Lewis on the next USA soccer team. That way when someone gets bumped and falls down like they are dying, we'll send Lewis in with a blind-side hit so they don't have to act the next time. Sure we'll be sacrificing an actual soccer player, but it's not like we're going to win anyways.

I can't wait for the day that the world decides they want a world league to play American football. It won't even be close.

I say we put Ray Lewis on the next USA soccer team.  That way when someone gets bumped and falls down like they are dying, we'll send Lewis in with a blind-side hit so they don't have to act the next time.  Sure we'll be sacrificing an actual soccer player, but it's not like we're going to win anyways. 

I can't wait for the day that the world decides they want a world league to play American football.  It won't even be close.

241384[/snapback]

My problem with soccer has always been exactly what you said, the "drama queens" that act like they are dying if somebody trips them. Just get your butt out and keep going. I also resented it becoming big in the USA because I did not want the "tradition of thuggery" that usually goes along with it overseas to become part of the American version. I guess so far it has not.

As for a worldwide football league, I thought we did that already. Have you forgotten about the World League of American Football. :lol: I think it last just one season didn't. Then NFL Europe developed from it. Anybody got an Birmingham Fire memoribila?

I am kind of like Liger when it comes to basketball, but only to the NBA. I can't stand it. I have gotten where I don't like the college game as much either because it has basically become the NBA developmental league. I'll take high school basketball over the both of them any day.

Archived