Concerns for the up coming season.

ProgRock

If you had to give your concerns about the up coming season what would they be?

Mine is a simple one......the deep ball.We have to throw the long ball and be more acurate with it,to get the other D from locking down on the short routes.One long deep ball per game can change a lot. Goooooooo :football: long!!!!

* I have no doubt you will see our running backs utilized more in the passing game like 2004.

Concerns:

DT and WR

I think we have the talent at WR in terms of the passing game but can the new guys block downfield?

Very little experience at DT.

I think you guys have all touched on the 3 big ones. These are the ones CTT has mentioned in a couple of talks I ahve heard.

WRs - we are loaded with talent, only experience is Taylor and Prechae. Others we have will be a couple of RsFr and probably a true Fr. according to CTT will be playing

DTs - sure will help if Greg Smith can get cleared....other than him we are thin, I think that freshman will be playing, can't remeber his name though, class of 2006

S - I think when it is all said and done we will be okay at safety. We do have lots of experience in the secondary, although the safety more than likely could be newcomer starting

I think OL is of concern a little. I am not as worried about it as DT, though. OL has pleanty of guys that have played, they just have HUGE shoes to fill.

that's pretty unfair to say Brock was bad last year. Yeah he got burned a couple times and had a case of the "i forgot the fundamentals of tackling" last year but that doesn't mean he was bad. if that was the case then Kenny Irons was pretty bad with that one carry in the GT game and Cox had a bad year because of the GT game and whoa lets not forget how horrible Stanley McClover's year was since he was out with some injury problems. Yeah you have a bad game and you get over them. Let's not lump a whole year into the few bad spots we can remember.

War Damn Eagle!!

Not to jinx us.........but........

I am ALWAYS concerned about the backup qb. We are always just one play from BF being the #1 man. I know (hope) that he is capable but a season can tank in a hurry without your best qb on the field. Most other positions are easier to replace.

The center position is a distant second.

before the hire of muschamp i was concerned with every position on defense. we looked pretty weak to me last year, although our stats weren't bad. with muschamp, i think our defense will be a little thin at some positions, but if we say healthy, we will have a top 15 defense (considering our schedule: florida, wsu, lsu, uga, and arkansas who will put up some yards on the ground).

now my concern is with O-line. i know nobody else is mentioning this, but i thought we were slow last year up front. watching the GT game again, i noticed that cox constantly had someone in hs face. its not enough to not give up sacks, we have to keep him clean and give him passing lanes. one way to do this is run more spread formations. without a solid fullback, i see us doing this. either irons and someone else in the backfield or 3 receivers with tight end. we will also have a lot of 2 tight end formations which will push the rush out wider. borges will get it done... :cheer:

WR and DT, hope our assts make the big money for some reason, we will see.

I know we lost some major production at WR, but I am not concerned because:

1) We have CT who is a legitimate All-American candidate with a lot of experrience and tons of talent.

2) Preachae has plenty of experience and first round talent, speed, and size.

3) Deep bench with game experience (such as Guess and Dunn).

4) Deep bench with possible superstars (Billings, Dunn, incoming freshmen)

5) Depth at TE. We could easily follow in line with what a lot of NFL teams are doing and start running a lot of two TE sets. We have the talent and the players.

6) With our depth at RB we will be able to use them in the passing game a lot (as was said above).

7) As far as the WRs blocking. CT and Preachae are both good-sized receivers who have shown the ability to get the job done.

More than two receivers the caliber of what we have in CT and Preache is a lot to ask.

I am more concerned with DTs and OTs. We need SMith to get ready quickly when he gets here and atleast one freshmen to be ready to step in and play real quickly.

We have an All-American caliber OL on the interior (especially at guard), but I am worried about replacing those tackles. (But great job for the staff to have the line staggered out so that we have a solid interior as soon as we have question marks about the perimeter. Last year our worries were over the interior. CTT always has said that he has a strict recruiting plan and he follows it closely. This must be the way it works).

I'll probably go with the safeties and cornerbacks, although hopefully David Irons will be pretty much a lock-down corner on his side. I'm excited about seeing Will at LB, but we could have use him in the backfield as well.

Maybe my memory isn't good, but I just seem to remember us getting beat on coverage too much last year. I think CWM's more aggressive style will increase the odds get burned occasionally, but hopefully we'll see an increase in sacks & turnovers that makes up for that.

I don't have any concerns from a talent standpoint. This team is talented enough to play with anyone. However, the talent at some positions is a little unproven. I feel as though once guys like Tristan Davis, Tray Blackmon, Merrill Johnson, King Dunlap, ect. get to start a few games, we have an opportunity to be the most complete team in the nation.

The secret is starting experience. Its great to get experiece coming off the bench, but mop up duty isn't the same as starting. That was a big thing last year when Blake Field got to start and play an entire game last year. Even though it was against an inferior opponent, it will surely pay dividends if Cox goes down this year.

Borges and Muschamp will certainly play to our strengths early in the season until some of the young talent has a chance to mature. By the end of the year, if injuries are kept to a minimum, there won't be a better team anywhere.

I wish Greg Smith was going to be here for summer workouts. They screwed the kid again and he's going to Chattanooga for another class. Sigh.... So depth on the D line is a HUGE concern.

I think Rod Smith will be the sleeper WR. WE have some players at that position...and by the 3rd game, hopefully they'll step up big time.

:au::homer:

Everything about this team concerns me. Even the RB and QB position.

Corner play is one of our best positions as well, but David isn't very good inside the 10 yard line - just throw a floater to him and the WR will catch it every time.

Archived