Article from Neal McCready about impact players

Here is an article from Neal McCready about some key players that could impact the SEC football next season. He states that Courtney Taylor is the key player for Auburn. Do you agree with that assessment?

Here is the link.

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/nm...7900.xml&coll=3

Five players could impact the SEC race

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Today, for all intents and purposes, marks the beginning of the college football season, even though coaches and players across the country might argue that it never really ends.

With the Fourth of July holiday essentially over and with the second summer session under way at just about every Southeastern Conference campus, entire rosters are on their respective campuses preparing for the start of practice next month. With one very notable exception -- Ole Miss signee Brent Schaeffer -- quarterbacks are leading "voluntary" workouts and pass skeleton drills.

Three weeks from today, all 12 head coaches and two players from each institution will be headed to Hoover for SEC Media Days, the more official kickoff to the upcoming football season.

Advertisement

So, with that in mind, here are five players who could have a dramatic impact on which two teams ultimately navigate the road to Atlanta for the SEC Championship Game:

Courtney Taylor, Auburn wide receiver Quarterback Brandon Cox is going to be efficient, running back Kenny Irons is going to be explosive and Auburn's defense should be its usual stingy self. However, for the Tigers to live up to their preseason billing, someone is going to have to step up as a go-to target for Cox. Taylor, the lone leftover from the outstanding receiving corps that attracted NFL scouts to the Plains last fall, is the logical candidate.

After leading the Tigers with 43 receptions as a sophomore, Taylor caught just 22 passes last season. The senior from Carrollton should be Cox's primary target in clutch situations, and he has the break-away ability to turn short passes into long touchdowns.

Matthew Stafford, Georgia quarterback Joe Tereshinski III is a great story, a super guy who persevered and waited for his opportunity to finally lead his beloved Georgia Bulldogs. That said, he's not skilled enough to serve as the starting quarterback for a championship team.

Stafford is. But is the freshman from Dallas mature enough? Most insiders suspect we'll find out soon enough. Stafford reported to Athens in January and should get a chance under center early in the season. If he can handle it, the Bulldogs are odds-on favorites to repeat as SEC East champs.

Erik Ainge, Tennessee quarterback Tennessee fans are pinning much of their hope on the return of former Ole Miss coach David Cutcliffe to the Vols' offensive coordinator post. They must have ignored the Rebels' disastrous 2004 campaign when Micheal Spurlock was horrible under center despite Cutcliffe's presence.

In other words, players -- not coordinators -- win games and at Tennessee, that means Ainge has to be much improved for the Vols to return to their winning ways and get Phillip Fulmer off the hot seat.

After beating out Schaeffer in 2004, Ainge was awful last season, losing the job to Rick Clausen. Ainge showed signs of returning to his previous form in the spring, but he'll have to be very good to get Tennessee back to Atlanta in December.

DeShawn Wynn, Florida running back While the fans and media focused on the quarterback position and Tim Tebow's challenge to Chris Leak in the spring, Florida coach Urban Meyer fumed about his team's running game -- or lack thereof.

"I'll play without a tailback if I can't find someone who's better than what we showed last year," Meyer said. "I'm not going to sit and watch that trash I watched last year. That's not going to happen."

Advertisement

That won't work in the SEC, where the teams that win run the ball and stop the run. Wynn led the Gators with 621 rushing yards last season. He'll likely need to double that total to get the Gators past Georgia, Tennessee and South Carolina and into the Georgia Dome.

Casey Dick, Arkansas quarterback If Arkansas has to turn to freshman phenom Mitch Mustain this season, it's likely a sign that Dick, who started the final four games of the 2005 season, wasn't able to handle Gus Malzahn's offense. However, if Dick is efficient, Arkansas could be more than a bit dangerous in the SEC West.

Dick completed 53 of 99 passes for 584 yards, seven touchdowns and four interceptions last season after taking over for Robert Johnson. He led a comeback win at Ole Miss and very nearly spoiled LSU's season one day after Thanksgiving in Baton Rouge. Dick has plenty of weapons, including running backs Darren McFadden and Felix Jones and wide receiver Marcus Monk, and everything else is in place for the Hogs to play spoiler to LSU and Auburn's title hopes.

-- Five other players worth consideration: Alabama quarterback John Parker Wilson, Ole Miss running back Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis, Georgia wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, South Carolina quarterback Blake Mitchell and LSU running back Keiland Williams.

Contact Neal McCready

However, for the Tigers to live up to their preseason billing, someone is going to have to step up as a go-to target for Cox. Taylor, the lone leftover from the outstanding receiving corps that attracted NFL scouts to the Plains last fall, is the logical candidate.

245199[/snapback]

Tristan Davis line up as a fullback and turn into a receiver in the seam, flats, etc.

However, for the Tigers to live up to their preseason billing, someone is going to have to step up as a go-to target for Cox. Taylor, the lone leftover from the outstanding receiving corps that attracted NFL scouts to the Plains last fall, is the logical candidate.

245199[/snapback]

Taylor could be another Braylon Edwards if given the chance. I think that the early success he will have -- and I expect him to have some siginificant early success -- may make him equally valuable as a decoy down the stretch.

Send him deep, clear out the safety and a corner and make connections to Davis on a curl or a flare underneath or hit the tight end over the middle or go to Rodriguez on a deep crossing route.

245199[/snapback]

Taylor could be another Braylon Edwards if given the chance. I think that the early success he will have -- and I expect him to have some siginificant early success -- may make him equally valuable as a decoy down the stretch.

Send him deep, clear out the safety and a corner and make connections to Davis on a curl or a flare underneath or hit the tight end over the middle or go to Rodriguez on a deep crossing route.

245209[/snapback]

Sounds good to me.

After leading the Tigers with 43 receptions as a sophomore, Taylor caught just 22 passes last season. The senior from Carrollton should be Cox's primary target

245199[/snapback]

Taylor will be out prove himself this year and make up for last season. That should be more than enough motivation for him to do extremely well. I look for him to be the go to guy around 60% of the time, not just in "clutch" situations. Paired with Irons, it's an understatement to say that it will be hard to shut them down.

It's not offense that I'm worried about, I think we have that pretty much wrapped up. Cox-Taylor-Irons, what more can you ask for? It's the defense I'm "worried" about. It's absolutely crucial that they shut down LSU, UF, and UGA early and destroy their will to win. I'm not worried about USC or UA. Anyone else feel the same way?

I love Tristan's speed, and wish that we could see him on the offensive side of the ball, but I'm pretty sure CTT has stated publicly that Tristan has permanently returned to the defense.

I love Tristan's speed, and wish that we could see him on the offensive side of the ball, but I'm pretty sure CTT has stated publicly that Tristan has permanently returned to the defense.

245217[/snapback]

I will have to look for the link, but I recently saw a Depth Chart with him also doing Kick off returns.

That speed in the open field could be AUsome to watch.

Nobody is mentioning the tight ends!  I think you'll be saying Cox-Irons-Taylor-Trott  soon enough

245346[/snapback]

Don't forget about McKenzie

aunation link

From an article:

Back in early June, I visited offensive coordinator Al Borges and shared my opinions about some of his players. He finds these analyses funny, I would as well, but Al knows how to change opinions with a smile on his face.

Anyway, I was giving him a hard time about Gabe McKenzie. He signed in 2005 out of a Mobile high school. Some felt McKenzie was an excellent tight end; others believed he would be more influential at defensive end. Auburn elected to keep him on offense. McKenzie spent last autumn on the scout team.

Borges, surprised that I'd question McKenzie's value at tight end (behind the up-and-coming Tommy Trott), showed me approximately 20 video cut-ups of McKenzie spring work.

I'll say this: Gabe McKenzie is one heck of a hitter. When he fires off the ball and into Auburn's DEs, the offense wins a lot of those encounters. McKenzie really pops people, knocking them up and away from the play. And this wasn't against walk-ons; I watched McKenzie aggravate Marquies Gunn and Quentin Groves repeatedly.

Is McKenzie ready to be a major tight end in the SEC right now? Probably not. I have changed my mind on the kid, though, and I now believe he'll be quite useful down the road.

Nobody is mentioning the tight ends!  I think you'll be saying Cox-Irons-Taylor-Trott  soon enough

245346[/snapback]

Don't forget about McKenzie

aunation link

From an article:

Back in early June, I visited offensive coordinator Al Borges and shared my opinions about some of his players. He finds these analyses funny, I would as well, but Al knows how to change opinions with a smile on his face.

Anyway, I was giving him a hard time about Gabe McKenzie. He signed in 2005 out of a Mobile high school. Some felt McKenzie was an excellent tight end; others believed he would be more influential at defensive end. Auburn elected to keep him on offense. McKenzie spent last autumn on the scout team.

Borges, surprised that I'd question McKenzie's value at tight end (behind the up-and-coming Tommy Trott), showed me approximately 20 video cut-ups of McKenzie spring work.

I'll say this: Gabe McKenzie is one heck of a hitter. When he fires off the ball and into Auburn's DEs, the offense wins a lot of those encounters. McKenzie really pops people, knocking them up and away from the play. And this wasn't against walk-ons; I watched McKenzie aggravate Marquies Gunn and Quentin Groves repeatedly.

Is McKenzie ready to be a major tight end in the SEC right now? Probably not. I have changed my mind on the kid, though, and I now believe he'll be quite useful down the road.

245349[/snapback]

I named Trott because the topic was who was going to be another target for Cox besides Taylor. At this point Trott is the better receiver and McKenzie is the better blocker.

After leading the Tigers with 43 receptions as a sophomore, Taylor caught just 22 passes last season. The senior from Carrollton should be Cox's primary target

245199[/snapback]

Taylor will be out prove himself this year and make up for last season. That should be more than enough motivation for him to do extremely well. I look for him to be the go to guy around 60% of the time, not just in "clutch" situations. Paired with Irons, it's an understatement to say that it will be hard to shut them down.

245216[/snapback]

Wasn't Courtney somewhat slowed by an nagging nijury much of last year? Seems like I remember that being the reason for his drop in production from the year before.

...and Captain: Your sig is good looking but mighty large. Am I the only one havng trouble getting its full width onto my screen? Maybe you could shrink it a little? ...if so, thanks! :thumbsup:

... I named Trott because the topic was who was going to be another target for Cox besides Taylor.  At this point Trott is the better receiver and McKenzie is the better blocker.

245356[/snapback]

There was a nice interview with Al Borges on the PF show yesterday. Borges was very complimentary to McKenzie, Praeche Rodriguez and especially Ben Tate. Also had some good commentary on the improvement of B. Cox -- said he's turned the corner of being a no mistakes type of QB and is ready to make the jump to team leader & outstanding QB. It got me fired up just listening to him. :thumbsup::au:

Courtney planted wrong against Ball State. Suffered a high ankle sprain. Thought he's broken something initially. Bothered him the rest of the season. Tried to play on it too early and aggravated it.

He was a gamer, though. Hobbled most of the week, but fought through it to play on Saturdays.

For the record, my definition of "impact" player is a guy that can change his team's fortunes (most) dramatically. That said, has there ever been a year (in the SEC) with more question marks / more riding on the QB position? My Top 5:

1. Jamarcus Russell / Matt Flynn - Both appear to have the ability to be championship QBs. With road games in Auburn, Knoxville, Gainesville and Fayetteville, however, mediocre play at QB could spell a 3 or 4 loss season (and one hot tushie for Coach Les). On the other hand, if either guy steps up and has an All-SEC type year, even with the losses on both lines, LSU has the talent to win them all.

2. Joe Tereshinski / Matthew Stafford, et al. - Same story, different division. The new QB doesn't have to be DJ Shockley or David Greene, but if he's not better than (last year's) Joe T, suddenly the Dawgs could be in trouble vs UT and UF, at USC - and especially at :au:;) .

3. Erik Ainge - The Vols also suffered losses on D and on the OL, but, like UGA and LSU, they'll just plug in the next 4-5 star blue chipper in line. That said - as evidenced last year - you could make the case for Ainge being #1 in this category: If he gets off to a fast start (namely by beating Cal in Knoxville), maybe he and the Vols get their heads straight; if not, another wheel comes off . . . (followed, maybe, by the Great Pumpkin himself)

4. Casey Dick / Mitch Mustain - We know the Pigs will be able to run, and we know they've got a lot coming back on defense. Plus, Marcus Monk appears to be a big-play threat at WR. That said, the defense wasn't that great last year, and a one-dimensional offense just won't get it done anymore in the SEC. Without a passing game, even McFadden (cue Superman theme) can only take the Hogs so far . . . (OK, Jones and Hillis are pretty good, too, but you get the idea.)

5. John Vaughn - How big an "impact" did he have last year? Everyone remembers the LSU debacle, but think also about the Georgia Tech game . . . I don't remember the exact situation, but later in the game Tubs opted to go for it on 4th-and-long rather than try a 40ish yard FG. Obviously a FG wouldn't have made up the final (nine-point) difference - and our offense clearly had other problems - but it would've given the offense a chance at the end. And regardless, wind or no wind, when you've got TWO scholarship kickers (Zach Kutch? Anyone?), anything 40 yards and in ought to be (at least semi-) automatic. All that said, JV is on this list because I don't think AU can make a run through the SEC this year without winning a game that comes down to a FG . . . Time for a senior to step up. Are you ready, Johnny?

Great post JB. I would only differ with you where the Vols are concerned. They may not actually have a stockpile of 4-5 star guys anymore. Their recruiting has been falling off the last few years and last year they were downright average.

Phat Phil may actually have to do some coaching. :no:

Vaughn is a real good choice for impact player. I think he has the mental game to step up and the Coaches seem to think so as well after the way he handled himself after the adversity. With WSU, LSU, Arky, UF, UGA and Bama on the schedule, you can bet the kicking game will be the deciding factor in several games this year.

Vaughn is a real good choice for impact player.  I think he has the mental game to step up and the Coaches seem to think so as well after the way he handled himself after the adversity.  With WSU, LSU, Arky, UF, UGA and Bama on the schedule, you can bet the kicking game will be the deciding factor in several games this year.

245532[/snapback]

Re kicking game: I agree. It's hard to imagine a team winning the SEC without a kicking game. The good news is that we have the best punter in the conference in Kody Bliss and that should gives us an advantage in the field position battle every game.

Archived