"Just wait..."

TexasTiger

BUSH: I talked about my desire to promote institutional change in parts of the world, like Iraq, where there’s a free press and free religion. And I told him that a lot of people in our country would hope that Russia will do the same thing. I fully understand, however, that there will be a Russian-style democracy.

PUTIN: We certainly would not want to have same kind of democracy as they have in Iraq, quite honestly.

BUSH: Just wait.

I saw the video clip of their exchange, and yeah.... W walked into that one. I noticed his eyes looked a bit puffy and bloodshot. I'm guessing he's tired, and a live press conference isn't his most favorite place to be in. He should have stuck w/ the basics, of freedom and religious tolerance, and not tried to tie it to Iraq.

Bad move.

How about a constitutional republic instead of a democracy? Are we better off with democracy as opposed to a republic? Our pledge still says republic, but we live in a democracy. So who or what is the republic for which it stands? Are we really that republic, or are we second class American citizens? :blink:

The word 'democracy' does not appear in the Declaration of Independence. Nor does it show up anywhere in the U.S. Constitution. Not even once does it show up in any STATE Constitution.

So why do we keep talking about bringing 'democracy' to the Mid East ?

:huh:

Does that seem right to you ?

No, it doesn't seem right. Liberty is a God given right, freedom is what the state gives the people. In the case of democracy and a republic, the constitution is considered the law of the land. A direct democracy would be the best, as the people get to vote on laws. An indirect democracy, as we have, allows special interest groups the opportunity to thrawt the will of people.

http://content.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=5195

freedom is what the state gives the people.

the state GIVES the people ? Sorry, but freedom is what the state's PROTECT, they don't give it.

Archived