Opps, Hillary may be getting it.

DKW 86

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discu...ess=102x2392688

Clinton, in Arkansas, Says Democrats Are 'Wasting Time'

By ANNE E. KORNBLUT

Published: July 16, 2006

ROGERS, Ark., July 15 — Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, returning to her red-state ties, chastised Democrats Saturday for taking on issues that arouse conservatives and turn out Republican voters rather than finding consensus on mainstream subjects.

Without mentioning specific subjects like gay marriage, Mrs. Clinton said: “We do things that are controversial. We do things that try to inflame their base.”

“We are wasting time,” the senator told a group of Democratic women here, on part of a two-day swing through a state that could provide an alternate hub to New York if she starts a national political campaign.

On recent weekends, Mrs. Clinton has been traveling the country and raising money at an extraordinary pace. But the trip to Arkansas this weekend had a more sentimental feel, reuniting Mrs. Clinton with her former political allies and giving her a platform to broadcast her more centrist background.

After speaking to the Arkansas Federation of Democratic Women, Mrs. Clinton was scheduled to visit the first home in Fayetteville that her husband bought for her, and where they were married....

I have a question. Hillary has been rather hawkish (compared to many dims) and has been making moves toward the center. Lieberman is in trouble because of his support of the war on terror. Will the dims nominate Hillary despite her rather hawkish behavior over the past 5 - 6 years? Or will they be pushing an anti war Gore or anti war now but pro war before Kerry?

Here's my prediction...this year's mid-term elections will be a repeat of 2004 and 2002. In both election years there was a drumbeat of general dissatisfaction with the Bush administration's handling of everything. And, quite frankly, the general populace does have a reason to be dissatisfied with this administration's handling of Iraq, THE INEXCUSABLE ADDITION OF YET ANOTHER MASSIVE ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM, THIS TIME FOR FREE PRESCRIPTIONS FOR THE ELDERLY, and the total lack of Republican discipline in cutting spending.

The Republican party, which holds majorities in both houses, has squandered opportunities to truly rein in the size of government. Yet spending has accelerated, even beyond the needs of the Iraq War and the Department of Homeland Security. Republicans should be ashamed for straying away from the ideological base that got them elected.

All that being said, in each election year, the electorate has taken a good look at the Democratic party and realized that it is a party without any identification with mainstream voters and an unbelievable nostalgia for the discredited ideas of Keynsian economics and coalition building. Voters see a party that not only lacks a backbone when it comes to foreign affairs, but crucifies those in their party who actually do (Joe Lieberman, for one).

So as a result, the people will dutifully file into the polling place this November and choose the lesser of two evils--The Republican Party. I just wish the Republicans, the party I love, would actually worry about the future of this country, rather than worry about getting reelected.

,,,,,,,, the electorate has taken a good look at the Democratic party and realized that it is a party without any identification with mainstream voters and an unbelievable nostalgia for the discredited ideas of Keynsian economics and coalition building. Voters see a party that not only lacks a backbone when it comes to foreign affairs, but crucifies those in their party who actually do (Joe Lieberman, for one).

So as a result, the people will dutifully file into the polling place this November and choose the lesser of two evils--The Republican Party. I just wish the Republicans, the party I love, would actually worry about the future of this country, rather than worry about getting reelected.

248832[/snapback]

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well said otter! Good post.

I wish Hilary would keep quiet before the rest of the dems catch on.

Good post Otter. I am a conservative that mostly votes republican, but in the last year, I have become a little dissatisified with the way republicans have handled certain issues. The thing that hurts the dems is that they just don't handle any issues at all or come up with any solutions. All they do is focus on criticizing the republicans. Hilary is right, when dems open their mouths about some of the hot button issues, it rallies the conservative voters around the republicans, even conservatives that are unhappy with the party.

good ole new york times....

hillary was commenting on the republican-lead congress.

good thing that the "mistake" was pointed out to the times the day after by several bloggers and even mrs. clinton's spokesman. it was finally corrected TUESDAY AFTERNOON...in the 3rd paragraph on the online edition. which i guess is better than what matt drudge or newsmax will do

factual story reported here Benton County News

from the speech transcript

CLINTON: You know, if you ask yourself, well, if -- with all these problems -- and we've got a solution sitting out there -- why can't we move in the right direction? And it really comes down to a difference in values and philosophy. You know, the nine women Democratic senators -- anybody see us on Larry King (inaudible)? Well, then you know that we put out what we call our "Checklist for Change." I don't know about you, but I am a list maker. I guess it's like a part of DNA for women. I make lists of my lists. And so, we were talking one day and we were saying, you know, we all -- each individual -- we have all of this legislation, we can't get it on the floor of the Senate. We can't get a vote on it because the Republican majority wants to vote on other things.

So, we pulled all of our best ideas together. Wouldn't this be a good agenda for America? Safeguard America's pensions; keep good jobs for Americans; make college affordable for all; protect America and our military families; prepare for future disasters; make America energy independent; make small business and healthcare affordable; invest in life saving science; and protect our air, land, and water. You know, [sen.] Blanche Lincoln [D-AK] has a bill to make healthcare affordable for small business. I have a bill I was talking to you about with respect to energy independence. We have legislation sitting in the Senate to address these problems.

But with a Republican majority, that's not their priority. So, we do other things. You know, we do things that are controversial. We do things that try to inflame their base so they can turn people out and vote for their candidates. I think we are wasting time. We are wasting lives. We need to get back to making America work again, in a bipartisan, nonpartisan way.

Archived