ex-USC DE sues school

quietfan

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=110459

Posted: July 21, 2006  Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Former South Carolina defensive end Moe Thompson has sued the university for $300,000, claiming officials thwarted his chances of transferring -- and consequently a shot at the NFL -- after he was suspended from the team in 2005.

Thompson is serving five years' probation after he pleaded guilty in October to two counts of attempted first-degree burglary and two counts of petit larceny. He and teammate Kevin Mainord went into dorm rooms in February 2005 and took TVs and a DVD player belonging to female students.

Thompson tried playing for Grambling State, but academic problems prevented him from taking the field.

His attorney, Hemphill Pride, was out of the country and unavailable to talk about the lawsuit.

A university spokesman said the school would have no comment.

The lawsuit claims a university official withdrew Thompson from classes without the player's consent, causing him to be academically ineligible to play at Grambling. Since the withdrawal came more than six weeks into the academic session, his transcript reflected "withdrew failing," according to the lawsuit.

Thompson claims he should have been allowed to pursue an exception to the rule requiring the "withdrew failing" designation, which would have preserved his academic eligibility

During an April workout in Columbia in preparation for the NFL draft, Thompson said had hoped to get his life back on track through football, but that the academic troubles held him back at Grambling.

"It kept me from playing football, which I love," Thompson said then. "This is the pain and suffering."

He was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but released from the team in June.

So how did anyone other than himself prevent him from having a chance to play pro ball?

Also, you only get a "withdrew failing" if in fact you ARE failing. If he had a passing grade he would have received a "withdrew passing". Maybe they should have just left his name on the rolls so he could have taken plain, ordinary "F's" on his transcript.

With all due respect to the fine barristers on WEN, I can't believe he found a lawyer that didn't laugh him out of the office.

There's always the arena leagues and NFL Europe....Unless he just sucks?

Crazy Peole are everywhere.

http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Con Tries The Ultimate Con

Proof that that we are about to enter The Twilight Zone: a former South Carolina player is suing the school for 300 large under the premise that he didn't make it in the NFL due to his being kicked off the football team  . . . after being convicted of attempted first-degree robbery in October 2005. Only Rod Serling could come up with something more friggin' ridiculous.

In his lawsuit, former South Carolina DE Moe Thompson (who for some reason has a website) claims school officials thwarted his chances of transferring to Grambling State -- and consequently a shot at the NFL -- after he was suspended from the team in 2005.

Thompson, who is serving five years' probation, was also convicted of  two counts of petit larceny when he and teammate Kevin Mainord went into dorm rooms in February 2005 and took TVs and a DVD player belonging to female students.

The lawsuit claims a university official withdrew Thompson from classes without the player's consent, causing him to be academically ineligible to play at Grambling. Since the withdrawal came more than six weeks into the academic session, his transcript reflected "withdrew failing," according to the lawsuit. 

Thompson claims he should have been allowed to pursue an exception to the rule requiring the "withdrew failing" designation, which would have preserved his academic eligibility and thereby allowed him to play this past fall at Grambling.

Per the AP, Goofball's attorney, Hemphill Pride, was out of the country and unavailable to talk about the lawsuit. ("Tell them I went to Mars.")

I think I speak for all of us when I say "Hey Moe . . . the guy in Cell Block X is calling . . . please go away."

What a freakin' thug :puke: Hey ya'll, does this smack a little of Eric Ramsey?

Couldn't hack it in the NFL, then when he realized he was washed up, he turns on the school that tried to make something out of his sorry butt. Say what you want about Lou (I am no fan of his either), but Lou didn't make him ruin his life. He accomplished that feat on his own.

He needs to shut his mouth and go back home and get a job on a garbage truck which is where he would be anyway if it weren't for USC.

I'm glad Kenny got out of there in time :) !

I'm glad Kenny got out of there in time :) !

251341[/snapback]

Ditto!

Archived