Ben Tate

RadioWryn

I don't think CTT guarantees anything when it comes to his gameplan, except a win. With the depth we have already, I would rather see Tate redshirted.

Tubs makes a big deal of players having experience. With Tate likely to be at least our second string back next year, Tubs is going to give him some time this year to gain experience. Eventually I expect to see some carries from Tate this season, but we don't need him in a major role this year (barring injury).

Tubs makes a big deal of players having experience. With Tate likely to be at least our second string back next year, Tubs is going to give him some time this year to gain experience. Eventually I expect to see some carries from Tate this season, but we don't need him in a major role this year (barring injury).

There is no guarantee by far he would be the 2nd string back. With us still having Lester, Stewart, and even Tre Smith back next year, he knows who will be the 1st or 2nd string. As of right now, even though Steward is listed as a FB this year, I could easily see him being the 2nd string guy behind Lester. So, why not redshirt him instead of experience on the special teams? If you redshirt him now, he has a good chance of being the starter when he is a sophomore. But, I trust CTT whatever he does.

Can't he still be redshirted this year, even if he is playing on special teams? I thought there was a rule that if a player stayed under a minimum number of snaps played, the could still be redshirted for that year. Am I getting that confused with some other redshirting rule?

With us still having Lester, Stewart, and even Tre Smith back next year, ....

...I thought this was Tre's last year? But I could cetainly be mistaken. Mario Fannin could also still be in the running back roation in the future, too.

Also, what's on the radar as far as potential running back recruits out of high school this year?

...I thought this was Tre's last year? But I could cetainly be mistaken. Mario Fannin could also still be in the running back roation in the future, too.

Also, what's on the radar as far as potential running back recruits out of high school this year?

Nope, his listed as a junior in the media guide. Seems like he has been here forever doesn't it. I believe he has actually had two redshirts while he has been at AU. One was a medical redshirt that he got special approval for since he had already been redshirted before that. He was just a red shirt freshman, I think, the year he ran all over the turds. That was 2002. If you do the math, with another redshirt season thrown in, he should be a senior this year, but he is listed as a junior. Unless I am messing up and he was a true freshman in 2002 and was reshirted twice after that, but I only remember the medical redshirt after 2002. Anybody else know why Tre is listed as only a junior?

Nope, his listed as a junior in the media guide. Seems like he has been here forever doesn't it. I believe he has actually had two redshirts while he has been at AU. One was a medical redshirt that he got special approval for since he had already been redshirted before that. He was just a red shirt freshman, I think, the year he ran all over the turds. That was 2002. If you do the math, with another redshirt season thrown in, he should be a senior this year, but he is listed as a junior. Unless I am messing up and he was a true freshman in 2002 and was reshirted twice after that, but I only remember the medical redshirt after 2002. Anybody else know why Tre is listed as only a junior?

Tre is listed as a senior on auburntigers.com and rivals.com rosters. I don't know why he's a junior in the media guide. That would leave Lester, Stewart, Tate, Fannin, and any incoming freshman on the roster for next year. Since Tubs weighs experience so heavily, it's important to get both Tate and Fannin some experience. It's still possible for them to redshirt but it would be a medical redshirt because once they play a down they can't receive a regular redshirt. They can receive the medical redshirt if the individual appears in three or less games and no games after the fifth game (I think that's the rule). Tommy Trott and Sen'Derrick Marks both receive their redshirt that way last year.

I agree with you that Stewart can definitely move to the tailback position. But I think to utilize our talent we'll see him more frequently at the "F" back position (we may very well see Tate there too) in addition to him getting a few carries at tailback, just like against WSU.

I don't believe Tre has ever redshirted, I could be wrong. But watching the game, it seems the announcers said something about him having another year of eligibility if he were to redshirt this year.

There is no guarantee by far he would be the 2nd string back. With us still having Lester, Stewart, and even Tre Smith back next year, he knows who will be the 1st or 2nd string. As of right now, even though Steward is listed as a FB this year, I could easily see him being the 2nd string guy behind Lester. So, why not redshirt him instead of experience on the special teams? If you redshirt him now, he has a good chance of being the starter when he is a sophomore. But, I trust CTT whatever he does.

Can't he still be redshirted this year, even if he is playing on special teams? I thought there was a rule that if a player stayed under a minimum number of snaps played, the could still be redshirted for that year. Am I getting that confused with some other redshirting rule?

I'm not sure what the rule is, but I've seen guys play a few snaps and get a redshirt. I remember Ronnie Brown got a handful of carries early in his redshirt year.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Anyone with inside scoop? I thought I'd see Ben Tate in place of Tre. :(

My gosh, man, what do you want? Tre Smith to never dress out again? The discussion of the third or fourth string tailback at this point is inconsequential. If Ben Tate plays and does well, so be it. If he doesn't play another snap the rest of the season, well, then he's here for another four.

Far be it for me to second guess Eddie Gran and Tommy Tuberville over the playing time for the third and fourth string tailbacks during a 40-14 win. If that is the worst thing we can complain about, then we are in pretty damn good shape.

Just think, you could be an Arkansas fan, fretting whether or not Mustain will get the call over RoJo this Saturday.

My gosh, man, what do you want? Tre Smith to never dress out again? The discussion of the third or fourth string tailback at this point is inconsequential. If Ben Tate plays and does well, so be it. If he doesn't play another snap the rest of the season, well, then he's here for another four.

Far be it for me to second guess Eddie Gran and Tommy Tuberville over the playing time for the third and fourth string tailbacks during a 40-14 win. If that is the worst thing we can complain about, then we are in pretty damn good shape.

Just think, you could be an Arkansas fan, fretting whether or not Mustain will get the call over RoJo this Saturday.

Cramps?

I don't believe Tre has ever redshirted, I could be wrong. But watching the game, it seems the announcers said something about him having another year of eligibility if he were to redshirt this year.

He did redshirt in 2004 with a shoulder injury, so this is his last year in Auburn if I remember correctly (which isn't too likely these days).

I don't understand what everybody's problem with him is though. No, he is not good enough to start in the backfield, but neither are many of the backs at other schools around the SEC.

As for Tate, I believe the rule is that you can play the equivalent of 3 halves of football in a year and still be eligible for a redshirt.

My gosh, man, what do you want? Tre Smith to never dress out again?

It's that a lot of Tre's errors have come in big moments in big games perenially. Yes, he was good 2002 vs Bama. But my gracious, that was almost four years ago by now. I would much rather, all other things being the same, have Ben Tate in there since we're not redshirting him. Tate would have scored given Tre's three carries inside the five there late in the 4th..

Additionally, I've heard a lot of talk (derbycityduo.com) for example of why AU should more actively promote Kenny Irons for Heisman. I think that near-goalline stand is a good point here. Yes, Tubby could have put Irons back in the game for the 4th down carry, but instead, he put in Carl Stewart. If Auburn wanted to promote Irons for Heisman, they would have let Kenny have the ball. But instead, by putting Stewart in, it develops the concept of teamwork..

Tubby can now go to any recruit in the country RB-wise and say "Hey, Lester and Stewart may be our featured backs, but if you come in as a freshman, once we have teams down, I'll give you some touches inside the five and let you get some touchdowns under your belt and then we'll try and develop you into the next Deuce McAllister, the next Rudi Johnson, the next Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, or Kenny Irons.."

Technically he did play ;) On special teams

That is correct, Sir! Promise fulfilled. :)

:au::homer:

As for Tate, I believe the rule is that you can play the equivalent of 3 halves of football in a year and still be eligible for a redshirt.

See, I was thinking there was a rule where a player can play a limited number of snaps and still be redshirted for that year, because I have seen redshirted players play in a game before, usually on special teams as a matter of fact.

I thought Tre has been redshirted twice, once was a regular reshirt and then I thought I remember him getting approval by the NCAA to get a medical redshirt for another year of eligibility.

As far as not getting King of Tate redshirts, with all the depth we have, we may not need King. I hate to lose a bluechip recruit, but we can't get them all because we can't play them all at the same time. I could be wrong on this, but I don't know if coaches make reshirt decisions on current players because of being able to get a possible recruit or not for the next year.

Guest Tigrinum Major

It's that a lot of Tre's errors have come in big moments in big games perenially. Yes, he was good 2002 vs Bama. But my gracious, that was almost four years ago by now. I would much rather, all other things being the same, have Ben Tate in there since we're not redshirting him. Tate would have scored given Tre's three carries inside the five there late in the 4th..

Additionally, I've heard a lot of talk (derbycityduo.com) for example of why AU should more actively promote Kenny Irons for Heisman. I think that near-goalline stand is a good point here. Yes, Tubby could have put Irons back in the game for the 4th down carry, but instead, he put in Carl Stewart. If Auburn wanted to promote Irons for Heisman, they would have let Kenny have the ball. But instead, by putting Stewart in, it develops the concept of teamwork..

Tubby can now go to any recruit in the country RB-wise and say "Hey, Lester and Stewart may be our featured backs, but if you come in as a freshman, once we have teams down, I'll give you some touches inside the five and let you get some touchdowns under your belt and then we'll try and develop you into the next Deuce McAllister, the next Rudi Johnson, the next Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, or Kenny Irons.."

A reasoned response. Sorry I jumped down your throat.

I wasn't feeling pretty yesterday.

Tre is a senior. This is his last year of eligibility.

2002- Played

2003- Played

2004- Redshirted (got 2 carries during the season)

2005- Played

2006- This is his last year.

As far as the rules on red-shirting go...

If you play in one play of one game, you are not eligible to redshirt.

However, you are eligible for a medical hardship waiver if you have played in fewer than 20% of the school's scheduled compititions, and have suffered a season ending injury/illness.

This rule is abused 90% of the time as guys come down with mysterious 'hang nails' or 'blisters on toes' that cause them to miss the rest of the season.

If Tate redshirts, we don't get Caleb King.

Why do you think that? :blink:

2002- Played

2003- Played

2005- Played

However, you are eligible for a medical hardship waiver if you have played in fewer than 20% of the school's scheduled compititions, and have suffered a season ending injury/illness.

This rule is abused 90% of the time as guys come down with mysterious 'hang nails' or 'blisters on toes' that cause them to miss the rest of the season.

Yeah, but why is the media guide listing him as a junior? I thought he was a senior too until I read that. Is it a typo? I have sent an e-mail, but no response yet. I am just trying to get down to the bottom of that.

Again, I could have sworn that was a certain rule about redshirting that allowed a player to play a little and not lose his redshirt status (besides the medical), but then again I can be just on crack. Heck, how many years did we have Freddy Weygand? Seemed like forever.

2002- Played

2003- Played

2005- Played

I may be wrong on this, if so it will not be the first time I have been wrong.....

I believe you can play a certain number of plays in the first two-three games and STILL redshirt.

Archived