Bama offensive woes

quietfan

Sometimes the truth hurts:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh....xml&coll=2

This offense won't beat the big boys

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Mike Shula opened his post-game news conference by flashing a relieved smile Saturday.

"Well, we had another win. We're 2-0," he said. "That's the best news."

The alternative is reflecting on a sputtering offense that shows flashes of potential, but can't score touchdowns. Say what you want about the SEC being a defensive-minded conference, you better score seven points every so often to play with the big boys.

Alabama is going through an almost historic stretch of offensive futility. And, as the 13-10 victory Saturday against Vanderbilt showed, the Tide has a smaller margin of error than it had while going 10-2 in 2005.

There's one more tune-up before the season reaches a pivotal point Sept. 23 at Arkansas.

The Crimson Tide has gone six consecutive SEC games without scoring at least 20 points. That's almost a full conference season. You have to go back to Bear Bryant's 1967 and `68 teams to find the last time that happened.

Shula's teams have gone 4-2 in this SEC stretch of scoring under 20 points. Those ö7 and `68 teams posted the same record, relying on a stingy defense.

There comes a point where a team can rely on a defense too much. Alabama has forced seven turnovers in two games. What happens when LSU, Auburn, Florida and Tennessee take better care of the ball?

Judging by Shula's comments Saturday, he realizes the offense will face a rude awakening without improvement.

"We've got to practice better. Not just the guys playing, but everybody," Shula said. "We've got to be more focused. We've all got to do a better job, including myself."

Alabama's offense is the most frustrating kind - a big tease.

For every long touchdown pass from John Parker Wilson to DJ Hall, there's Tim Castille fumbling at the Vanderbilt 13-yard line.

For every Keith Brown catch moving the chains, there's Jimmy Johns fumbling near the goal line.

For every Nikita Stover 38-yard catch on third-and-18, there's a 13-yard sack that nearly ruined Alabama's game-winning field goal.

Can you imagine this team without clutch field-goal kickers the past two years? Picture a squad barely above .500.

"We've just got to score some points," Wilson said.

In two games this season, the Crimson Tide has taken 10 possessions inside the opponents' 25-yard line. They've punched in one touchdown on those drives.

The numbers were ugly Saturday. Alabama ran 16 plays inside the 25-yard line for 11 yards, ending drives there with a failed fake field goal, two field goals, and two lost fumbles.

The passing game, which has been fairly effective, has only so much room to throw inside the 25. The running game managed 17 yards on 11 carries inside the 25 against Vanderbilt.

It's gotten so frustrating that Shula made a poor call trying for a fake field goal on the opening drive. It smelled of desperation, something even Shula understood when he asked a TV reporter for his assessment of the decision.

"Great decision, coach," the flustered reporter said.

"I thought it was a terrible decision," Shula replied.

If this is the production Alabama's offense gets against Hawaii and Vanderbilt, brace yourselves. And keep the field goal kickers healthy and happy.

So, if we can try to stick to football and keep this thread out of the woodshed for a little while:

What, if anything, can be done to salvage some offensive output this season? Ultimately, of course, I think Shula's going to have to break down, hire a decent offensive coordinator, and give up the reins to that new OC before they ever become a proficient offensive threat. But that's not something he can do until post-season.

Mike Shula opened his post-game news conference by flashing a relieved smile Saturday.

The alternative is reflecting on a sputtering offense that shows flashes of potential, but can't score touchdowns. Say what you want about the SEC being a defensive-minded conference, you better score seven points every so often to play with the big boys.

Alabama is going through an almost historic stretch of offensive futility. And, as the 13-10 victory Saturday against Vanderbilt showed, the Tide has a smaller margin of error than it had while going 10-2 in 2005.

There's one more tune-up before the season reaches a pivotal point Sept. 23 at Arkansas.

The Crimson Tide has gone six consecutive SEC games without scoring at least 20 points. That's almost a full conference season. You have to go back to Bear Bryant's 1967 and `68 teams to find the last time that happened.

Shula's teams have gone 4-2 in this SEC stretch of scoring under 20 points. Those ö7 and `68 teams posted the same record, relying on a stingy defense.

There comes a point where a team can rely on a defense too much. Alabama has forced seven turnovers in two games. What happens when LSU, Auburn, Florida and Tennessee take better care of the ball?

Judging by Shula's comments Saturday, he realizes the offense will face a rude awakening without improvement.

"We've got to practice better. Not just the guys playing, but everybody," Shula said. "We've got to be more focused. We've all got to do a better job, including myself."

For every long touchdown pass from John Parker Wilson to DJ Hall, there's Tim Castille fumbling at the Vanderbilt 13-yard line.

For every Keith Brown catch moving the chains, there's Jimmy Johns fumbling near the goal line.

For every Nikita Stover 38-yard catch on third-and-18, there's a 13-yard sack that nearly ruined Alabama's game-winning field goal.

Can you imagine this team without clutch field-goal kickers the past two years? Picture a squad barely above .500.

In two games this season, the Crimson Tide has taken 10 possessions inside the opponents' 25-yard line. They've punched in one touchdown on those drives.

The numbers were ugly Saturday. Alabama ran 16 plays inside the 25-yard line for 11 yards, ending drives there with a failed fake field goal, two field goals, and two lost fumbles.

The passing game, which has been fairly effective, has only so much room to throw inside the 25. The running game managed 17 yards on 11 carries inside the 25 against Vanderbilt.

It's gotten so frustrating that Shula made a poor call trying for a fake field goal on the opening drive. It smelled of desperation, something even Shula understood when he asked a TV reporter for his assessment of the decision.

If this is the production Alabama's offense gets against Hawaii and Vanderbilt, brace yourselves. And keep the field goal kickers healthy and happy.

So, if we can try to stick to football and keep this thread out of the woodshed for a little while:

What, if anything, can be done to salvage some offensive output this season? Ultimately, of course, I think Shula's going to have to break down, hire a decent offensive coordinator, and give up the reins to that new OC before they ever become a proficient offensive threat. But that's not something he can do until post-season.

Quite honestly? I could care less if they salvage anything. I'd be perfectly content to watch them go scoreless for the remainder of the season.

I don't think this is a topic that even bears legitimate discussion. Auburn is playing LSU this week. I have no interest in anything that happens at Alabama unless it is in a score that comes across the wire Saturday showing them behind La-Monroe. And even then, I'll laugh and quickly move on.

Quite honestly? I could care less if they salvage anything. I'd be perfectly content to watch them go scoreless for the remainder of the season.

I don't think this is a topic that even bears legitimate discussion. Auburn is playing LSU this week. I have no interest in anything that happens at Alabama unless it is in a score that comes across the wire Saturday showing them behind La-Monroe. And even then, I'll laugh and quickly move on.

Great post Double G.

i would have to agree with you. in our fire department, we have a 10 minute rule at fires. if you are the incident commander and if your plan of action does not have some sort of positive effect within 10 minutes, you need to come up with a different plan. obviously, that "10 minutes" for us has definitely passed. we're not putting points on the board and we're barely scraping by :( . i've seen the games and it seems like JPW isn't really executing all that badly (some improvement needed of course). something needs to be done, thats for sure. we can't keep relying on the defense to pull our butts out of the fire. a little leadership wouldn't hurt either.....

Auburn - since the late 70's, has built a reputation, from Joe Cribbs to Bo Jackson to Kenny Irons - Running Back U!!

UAT - since Bryant retired, has built a reputation, from All-American Van Tiffen to Jamie Christensen to Leigh Tiffen - Field Goal Kicker U!!

a great defense is only going to get you so far... look at 2003.. Auburn's defense was great.. however when your offense doesn't do anything for you and you leave your defense out on the field all game long you tend to come up looking like Auburn vs. USC in 03.... 23-0..

^ That was my politically correct statement.

V Here is my original post

I strongly agree with GG because I would not care any less than I do right now if crapabama didn't score another point this year. 2-10 would be great to me... I'd love that too much i think... LOL

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

Pathetic redzone execution. That's what it is.

I've questioned some of our playcalling, but even with some poor calls (IMO), we've still been able to move the ball. Once we get inside the 20 however, we go into a shell. We get WAY too conservative in the redzone.

I've questioned some of our playcalling, but even with some poor calls (IMO), we've still been able to move the ball. Once we get inside the 20 however, we go into a shell. We get WAY too conservative in the redzone.

Doesn't your last sentence contradict your first? Is it the conservative play calling or the collapse in execution?

Probably some of both, of course. It's normal to expect the passing game to get harder when the field gets shorter and more crowded. Obviously, that makes it harder to get results in the red zone when the running game is struggling as against Vandy Saturday. Frankly, I don't have the answer (and selfishly, as an Auburn fan, I hope you all never find it either...just being honest), but I think you have to lay it on the coaching. Your talent level isn't up with Auburn's or LSU's, but I think it's more than three points better than Vanderbilt's.

Auburn - since the late 70's, has built a reputation, from Joe Cribbs to Bo Jackson to Kenny Irons - Running Back U!!

UAT - since Bryant retired, has built a reputation, from All-American Van Tiffen to Jamie Christensen to Leigh Tiffen - Field Goal Kicker U!!

You forgot Michael Proctor.

Notice that too, ever since Shula has been there the redzone production has been awful. I think that has to do with the playcalling and not the execution.

I think it may be a little of both.

1. Even if your execution is superb and your opponent knows what's coming, you won't be very successful (at least against a good opponent, which leads me to #2)

2. Superb execution of any playcalling against weaker opponents should yield at least moderately good results.

It would help alot if darby would get out of his funk. I still think he is hurting from last week. I dont understand why we dont throw to the tight end a little more, give that guy a chance to make a play. JPW looked great at times, and others he wasnt. The O-line blocked well for the pass, and terrible for the run. I think that until the O-line learns how to run block, its going to be JPW to Brown alot. With a mix of DJ Hall.

So what is the trouble with Darby's production?

Is it Darby or the line?

I haven't watched, so I really don't know.

I do recall brave visitor's posts on this board a few weeks back that, "Bama will lead the SEC in rushing, I guarantee you that".

So what is the trouble with Darby's production?

Is it Darby or the line?

I haven't watched, so I really don't know.

I do recall brave visitor's posts on this board a few weeks back that, "Bama will lead the SEC in rushing, I guarantee you that".

I think it's a combination of his nagging injuries and his head not being in the game. His father is real sick and it's got to be tough being away from home with this going on. Prayers to him.

UAT has been able to move the ball without Darby. Like many have said, their red-zone execution is pathetic. IMO, once you get in the red-zone, most of your success is going to rely on play calling because the field has tightened up on you. I have not watched any of UAT's games to know, but has the red-zone play calling been that bad?

Like G2 said, I hope they keep it up.

I have to think it is some of the Dad stuff. I know he is injured but I think he could play thru that.

This is not KD's usual production. Two games against mediocre at best competition and he hasnt totalled 100 yards yet.

Archived