Bama gives staff raises

quietfan

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh....xml&coll=2

AD, three others receive raises

Thursday, September 14, 2006

IAN R. RAPOPORT

News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - A three-year, $150 million campaign to remodel many of the University of Alabama's most visible facilities is complete. On Wednesday, Athletics Director Mal Moore got his reward.

Moore was one of four key members of the Crimson Tide athletic department to be awarded a contract extension and a raise on Wednesday.

In a meeting of the UA board of trustees compensation committee, baseball coach Jim Wells, football offensive coordinator Dave Rader, football defensive coordinator Joe Kines, and Moore had their contracts amended.

Committee members praised Moore's efforts in improving the quality of the athletics facilities, his leadership in fund raising and the overall strength of the athletic programs.

Moore oversaw the $47 million expansion of Bryant-Denny Stadium, the most extensive in its history. The project added 9,000 seats and a plaza in front of the stadium.

Moore, who described himself as "flattered and humbled," saw his contract increased from $325,000 a year to $400,000 and extended one year. It now ends in 2011. He is expected to be the third-highest paid AD in the conference.

"The successes we have had in fund raising and facility improvements is more a reflection of the efforts of a lot of people within the Alabama family than anything I personally could have taken credit for," Moore said in a statement released by the university.

Wells' total compensation was raised to $325,000 and extended through the 2011 season. His raise was $75,000.

Kines' salary increased from $240,000 to $300,000, and his contract was extended through 2008. Rader's salary went from $217,000 to $233,275 and runs through 2008.

The biggest raise was for Wells, who led Alabama to a regular season Southeastern Conference baseball title. He received interest from LSU to fill its coaching position, then spurned the Tigers to stay with the Tide. LSU eventually hired former Notre Dame coach Paul Mainieri.

Wells' deal, which includes a three-year extension, puts him third on the list of SEC coaches, according to Moore.

Kines' raise comes one year after he led the UA defense to a No.1 national ranking. In 2005, he was a finalist for the Broyles Award, which honors the nation's top assistant. He is now the second-highest paid coordinator in the SEC, Moore said.

Rader's extension arose at a time when his offense is struggling. After two games, it has scored just 38 points and ranks 84th in the country. Still, he is now the conference's third-highest paid coordinator, Moore said.

Overall, coach Mike Shula said he appreciates what the raises represent.

"It's just a sign our university wants to have as much stability as you possible can in this profession," Shula said

OC Dave Rader: $233,275 for 38 points so far. Money well spent, I'd say. :rolleyes::lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They all deserve ice cream cones

Bravo.

AHHH!!!!! my God!! first we hire a DA as Head Coach and now we give the worst OC in the nation a raise and extension? I guess we are content on being owned by every SEC team minus UK and MSU

Bravo.

AHHH!!!!! my God!! first we hire a DA as Head Coach and now we give the worst OC in the nation a raise and extension? I guess we are content on being owned by every SEC team minus UK and MSU

I wouldn't count out MSU as owning you yet, they have a pretty good defense. :poke:

this makes no sense to me. It seems that bama with their defense would be ripe for a big time OC. I don't see the point in rewarding mediocrity, wait since when was 13 points against vandy at home mediocrity? pathetic..........yes.

Bravo.

I wouldn't count out MSU as owning you yet, they have a pretty good defense. :poke:

Thanks for the reminder pal

Bravo.

Side effect of having Shula as your HC

Please go away. You are an embarassment to Auburn fans. How petty a person you are to register as a Bama FAN when it is obvious to everyone that you are not. Can you say obsessed?

Either you are incredibly petty...or an idiot. Take your pick.

I totally disagree, that's much too harsh of punishment :)

Seriously, you have to have a felony or at least pay for one to be taken away from the other charges for ice cream to be a punishment. :poke:

Guest Tigrinum Major

Please go away. You are an embarassment to Auburn fans. How petty a person you are to register as a Bama FAN when it is obvious to everyone that you are not. Can you say obsessed?

Either you are incredibly petty...or an idiot. Take your pick.

We have proof that he is affiliated in some way with your alma mater, probably a student as he claims.

Don't you have some fanspoll votes to tally?

this makes no sense to me. It seems that bama with their defense would be ripe for a big time OC. I don't see the point in rewarding mediocrity, wait since when was 13 points against vandy at home mediocrity? pathetic..........yes.

now now, we do have a better record than Aubarn over the past 14 games :poke:

now now, we do have a better record than Aubarn over the past 14 games :poke:

Tell me does this 14 games you speak really take away any of the pain from 4 straight years and the less than 14 minutes it took last year for AUBURN to take away your manhood again. :poke::big:

Is that right? Have we really one 4 years in a row against the Mighty Bammer? Wow, there ought to be some sign we could flash 'em to signal our domination. What could we use?

I couldn't possibly hold up four dead elephants. . . mmmm.

We took their toilet paper off of their Tide boxes and threw it into the trees for 'em.

What is there 4 of we could use?

Can anyone help me here?

Guest Tigrinum Major

It matters not that they received raises. The facts remain that Rader is no more than a figure head for Shula's own inept offensive schemes. To even call them schemes is laughable. Schemes denote some level of innovation, cleverness and ability to disguise their tendencies. Perhaps "offensive sets" would be more appropriate.

If Alabama falls to Auburn again and looks impotent on offense in doing so, Rader will become a fall guy to save Shula's job for another year. However, I could be wrong. Don Shula never fired a coach and his son has followed suit so far. Could this be his failing? Would he be willing to cut a flailing Rader loose if it meant he would get to keep his job for another year? Only time will tell.

As far as Kines goes, I will be surprised if he completes the new contract. I wouldn't, if I were him, but that's just me. He seems like a decent man and I feel for him, having to babysit that staff of misfits, getting no support from his head coach, even though Shula would no longer be there without Kines' defenses.

There is only one coaching staff in the SEC that is more dysfunctional and that is Arkansas, with their high school offensive coordinator and their pyscho defensive coordinator and a used car salesman to lead them all.

Great News! May he "coach" in east moundville for many years to come! ! !

We have proof that he is affiliated in some way with your alma mater, probably a student as he claims.

I know you're a little slow, so let me break it down for you...

They allow Auburn fans to take classes at Alabama. And Alabama fans can sign up for classes at AU. They don't screen for that. So this particular individual can fall into that category. I know you SOOOO want them to be a UA fan...since he keeps slamming UA and it would make you feel so good about yourself. But it's obvious that this person is NOT a UA fan.

I don't understand tha Fanspoll dig. But whatever. People like you make this place less and less enjoyable. Luckily, you are in the vast minority here.

Guest Tigrinum Major

The fanspoll "dig" was nothing more than an uncreative way to ask if you didn't have bigger and better things to do. Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities. I figured you had thicker skin than that, since you've been around for so long.

I never said he was an Alabama fan or an Auburn fan, simply that he was affliliated with your alma mater. The inference was there, I admit.

I make this place unenjoyable? Moi? Surely you jest. I have defended you before, telling people that you were one of the good guys, not like some of your fellow Alabama fans that share neither your loyalty nor your refinement. I guess all bets are off now that I feel you have insulted me. My feelings are wounded, BG. Cut to the quick, I tell you.

I just want to know what you mean by I am "in the minority"? I don't insult anyone simply because of their team allegiance. I do so because I disagree with their opinions and have a smartass way of doing so.

You, my (up until a few minutes ago, supposed) frien, are so deep in the kool-aid at this point, you are no longer capable of looking at the problems that exist down at the Capstone objectively. Tell me, are you staisfied with what you've seen so far from your offensive team so far? And I don't want to hear any drivel about your 2-0 record to this point. Are you satisfied with what you've seen out of the offense this year?

Believe me, I can make your experience here much less enjoyable if you want. I didn't know I got under your skin, but now that I am aware of that fact, I'll be sure to give it my best in the future.

The fanspoll "dig" was nothing more than an uncreative way to ask if you didn't have bigger and better things to do. Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities. I figured you had thicker skin than that, since you've been around for so long.

I never said he was an Alabama fan or an Auburn fan, simply that he was affliliated with your alma mater. The inference was there, I admit.

I make this place unenjoyable? Moi? Surely you jest. I have defended you before, telling people that you were one of the good guys, not like some of your fellow Alabama fans that share neither your loyalty nor your refinement. I guess all bets are off now that I feel you have insulted me. My feelings are wounded, BG. Cut to the quick, I tell you.

I just want to know what you mean by I am "in the minority"? I don't insult anyone simply because of their team allegiance. I do so because I disagree with their opinions and have a smartass way of doing so.

You, my (up until a few minutes ago, supposed) frien, are so deep in the kool-aid at this point, you are no longer capable of looking at the problems that exist down at the Capstone objectively. Tell me, are you staisfied with what you've seen so far from your offensive team so far? And I don't want to hear any drivel about your 2-0 record to this point. Are you satisfied with what you've seen out of the offense this year?

Believe me, I can make your experience here much less enjoyable if you want. I didn't know I got under your skin, but now that I am aware of that fact, I'll be sure to give it my best in the future.

:roflol: Wow this is entertaining a heavyweight bout Tig Major vs BG this could get funny. For the winner care to take on our lovely football goddess Jenny or perhaps Tim. :boxing:

I know you're a little slow, so let me break it down for you...

They allow Auburn fans to take classes at Alabama. And Alabama fans can sign up for classes at AU. They don't screen for that. So this particular individual can fall into that category. I know you SOOOO want them to be a UA fan...since he keeps slamming UA and it would make you feel so good about yourself. But it's obvious that this person is NOT a UA fan.

I don't understand tha Fanspoll dig. But whatever. People like you make this place less and less enjoyable. Luckily, you are in the vast minority here.

I agree.

It's impossible for someone to be SOOO anti-Bama and then call themselves an Alabama fan. What a freaking poser.

Archived