Question about LSU strategy

CircleDrill

First of all, what an incredible game. I am totally spent after that one. One of the greatest defensive battles I have ever seen.

My question is about the apparent LSU strategy of managing the clock and time with "faux injuries." It appeared that anytime we had a big play and started to get some momentum, or that LSU needed some time to figure out a play, etc. an LSU player would be down on the ground. And then of course, the red hat guy would come out, giving even more time. Then after a few minutes, the LSU player would get up with the coaches and be fine, even sometimes jogging off the field.

There is simply no way that they could have had that many injuries in the game. Cramping or something maybe, but a team of the caliber of LSU should be better physically prepared than to cramp up that much. So this got me to thinking...are there any rules prohibiting players from faking injuries for the sake of stopping the clock?

If not, then I would not be surprised at all to see teams start using this strategy for the rest of this year with the new clock rules.

Archived