Two Players Who Have Impressed Me This Year

LegalEagle

Note: This thread is not meant to belittle any other player performances. I'm just bringing out the names of two defensive players who, even I can see are giving full effort and getting results.

I have been much impressed with the play of Will Herring and Josh Thompson. Will has made a fabulous tranformation from safety to linebacker. He's in there around the ball, making takles, breaking up passes and has made at least one interception. I have no clue if he is getting any national attention, but he has mine.

Josh Thompson is a joy to watch. He has power, size and speed for his size. He is a force in the interior line.

I am proud of the whole team, but I have noticed these guys who don't get a lot of recognition.

War Eagle!

I agree with both of those.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'll throw another name out there who has really impressed me, esp. in the LSU game.

In Tray Blackmon's absense, Merrill Johnson has stepped up and made some big plays. The linebackers have been an impressive unit so far.

No question about it. Both these giys have been awesome and it appears that Herring has found his true position. Another guy who has stepped up making big plays is Eric Brock. I have no idea how he actually grades out on film but he has definitely been flying to the ball.

I'll buy the fact that Thompson doesn't get much attention, but Herring was a preseason all SEC selection. Three guys that have really impressed me are SenDerrick Marks, Eric Brock, and Karibi Dede. All three are playing WAY above what I thought their ceilings were.

I agree 100% Legal, but let me throw Merrill Johnson into that category as well. He made some critical plays and some huge hits against LSU and has been a very plesant surprise to the LB corps while they wait on Sears and Blackmon for additional depth.

Seeing Herring play at LB makes me wonder why the former coaches didn't make that move much earlier. WLB looks like a home for him for several years to come.

EDIT: It has becoem blatantly obvious that my typing skills are severly slow, as Aubie beat me to the punch...

As mentioned earlier the TOTAL defense has performed well...I had my reservation going into the LSU game, but they took on the challenge....I thought the DL was going to be a weakness, but they aren't....the only one who isn't get much play is David Irons...everything is going away from him...maybe this Thursday he'll get the top receiver from USC and he'll show the rest of the country what we know here, that he's one of the best in the nation....

I think the idea here is to rank the players who have (most) exceeded expectations this year.* That said, and after giving mucho props to CWM and the entire defense for its outstanding overall, performance, my list is:

1. Karibi Dede - His play's been great, but his (and Will Herring's) senior leadership has been invaluable; I think you'd have seen a bit more intensity on the defensive side vs. Buff if he'd been in there.

2. Jonathan Wilhite - This year's TJ Jackson, i.e., a terrific player who, for whatever reason, doesn't get near the credit he deserves (even among the home folks). LSU may not have even threatened late in the game if he hadn't gone down earlier. He's also been great against the run. Thrilled to hear he's recovered! :au:

3. Josh Thompson - I echo all the comments above. Like TJ last year, he's been a load in the middle.

4. Pat Sims / Sen'Derrick Marks - To me, they're almost like one guy. Both have contributed to plug (what was feared to be) a big hole at DT. Looks like we're set on the interior D-line for at least a couple years . . .

*This is why D Irons and Herring aren't on the list, although they've been great as well.

Will and Josh are both playing very well. The young guys up front are too. The lbs are playing GREAT and it is a good thing that so many have game experience now. It is a LONG season ahead of us. The dbs are still a work in progress but they are all coming along well. The defense, as a whoe, is playing better than I expected. (Keep in mind that my vast knowledge of football would fit into a thimble.)

I agree with all of you. Thompson has been unstoppable against the run. I think he gets hindered a little on his pass rush because he doesn't have long enough arms. But against the run, he never goes driven back and always maintains control of both of his gaps. Brock has played the ball extremely well. Savage laid some vicious hits in the LSU game. The one thing I would like to see more of, is our linebackers protecting the middle of the field against the intermediate routes. It seems like all the big plays against us have been passes over the middle. If we get that under control we will be unbelievable on defense. I would also like to see some more batted and deflected balls to get more turnovers. Maybe this is because we lack height, but more turnovers would be great.

Archived