My Perspective

SHTiger

From the perspective of someone who was at the game... That game felt like an "old school" Auburn game. From back in the day where every game was close, and we never knew what team was going to show up today. The kind of game that over the years has led to so many AU fans being overly superstitious about things.

You know what I'm talking about....

And guys, all these posts that our coaches suck and our team is not good and we are doomed to be the laughing stock of ESPN... as Auburn Tiger fans, we should be ashamed of selling out on our team like that. Our team is great. I hope I die before what Kirk Herbstreit and Lou Holtz say becomes more important to Auburn fans than winning SEC ball games.

I am 32, and South Carolina has not played a game like that that I can ever remember. They have one of the greatest coaches in football and last night he was having a good one. And we now know that he has a quarterback that can run his offense with devastating effectiveness. I don't care what you say about our defense "sucking" that quarterback was INSANELY fast.

We had to cover the receivers. When you are running a 5-wide shotgun with no backs, that means everybody on defense is downfield. If somebody is open, the QB hits them for 10 yards. If nobody is open the quarterback (who also was probably having the game of his life) runs for 10 yards.

How do you stop that? Do you guys not REMEMBER Steve Spurrier at Florida, and WHY he is one of the greatest?

Come on Auburn fans. Snap out of it. You think we "deserve" to win the SEC? The MNC? Not one single team between now and November 19 will agree with you.

*snap* Aah, that feels better. :)

Last night reminded me of two games: first, last year's Arkansas game. It was on the road, things seemed bleak, and we pulled out a big win. That we can do that again this season goes to show how good our program is right now.

Which leads to the second game...Florida in '01. Who would've thought then that 5 years later, we'd be the big NC-chasing favorite in danger of a big upset on the road vs. an unranked team? Even stranger--Steve Spurrier was on the losing end of both games.

Here's my take. That QB was incredibly fast and, as a result, got SC out of a lot of bad situations. Seriously, how many times did you see what should have been a coverage sack wind up as a scramble that netted the 'cocks 5-6 yards? If it had been any other QB on that team, we would have had about 10 sacks last night.

That kid is an incredible athlete, and we haven't heard the last of him.

Our offense played well. Our defense - not so much. I appears that we gave up the short passes in order to stop the long ones. It seemed that every pass made 9 to 15 yards, so those aren't really short passes in my book.

I thought it might be a tough game, but I never thought the USC offense would be able to run and pass at will. CSS is a genius, and this is his second year - they are getting better. Guys and gals, CTT is no slouch (sp?) of a coach. The onside kick may have won the game for us. Two touchdowns on 4th down do not happen to other not so great coaches. We still have plenty of time to get better and prove ourselves.

WE WON, GET OVER IT!

War Eagle!

.....all these posts that our coaches suck and our team is not good and we are doomed to be the laughing stock of ESPN... as Auburn Tiger fans, we should be ashamed of selling out on our team like that. Our team is great. I hope I die before what Kirk Herbstreit and Lou Holtz say becomes more important to Auburn fans than winning SEC ball games.

Well put! It's these damn PS2 generation kids that think you should and can beat every team in America 90-0 at their place.

Everybody wants to say "The SEC is the toughest conference in the country because all the teams are good and any team can win any game." Then we want to go to Steve Spurrier's house and dominate him. Last night we saw why the SEC is the best conference.

.....all these posts that our coaches suck and our team is not good and we are doomed to be the laughing stock of ESPN... as Auburn Tiger fans, we should be ashamed of selling out on our team like that. Our team is great. I hope I die before what Kirk Herbstreit and Lou Holtz say becomes more important to Auburn fans than winning SEC ball games.

Well put! It's these damn PS2 generation kids that think you should and can beat every team in America 90-0 at their place.

I like PS2. :) Spurrier gave us a reality check last night. We need to be man or woman enough to say, whew, we are glad to come out of there with a win. Not start making ridiculous comments like our coaches are clueless. We have probably the best coaching staff in the country IMHO.

It's seems as if the offensive line was better at protecting Brandon in the second half. Penalties hurt us in the fourth quarter along with some missed assignments. Zack Gilbert really needs to stop turning his back on the quarterback. I was concerned in the fourth quarter of play, very concerned. I have a question though, does anyone here remember a quarterback that played for Auburn, name Dameyune Craig? Remember how he was able to run the ball when there was no receiver open, well that's what we faced last night. A team like we had back then. Hard win, but I loved it. Congrats to all of us, the team, coaches and fans. War "Damn" Eagle!

Sooey, Sooey, Sooey!

From the perspective of someone who was at the game... That game felt like an "old school" Auburn game. From back in the day where every game was close, and we never knew what team was going to show up today. The kind of game that over the years has led to so many AU fans being overly superstitious about things.

You know what I'm talking about....

And guys, all these posts that our coaches suck and our team is not good and we are doomed to be the laughing stock of ESPN... as Auburn Tiger fans, we should be ashamed of selling out on our team like that. Our team is great. I hope I die before what Kirk Herbstreit and Lou Holtz say becomes more important to Auburn fans than winning SEC ball games.

I am 32, and South Carolina has not played a game like that that I can ever remember. They have one of the greatest coaches in football and last night he was having a good one. And we now know that he has a quarterback that can run his offense with devastating effectiveness. I don't care what you say about our defense "sucking" that quarterback was INSANELY fast.

We had to cover the receivers. When you are running a 5-wide shotgun with no backs, that means everybody on defense is downfield. If somebody is open, the QB hits them for 10 yards. If nobody is open the quarterback (who also was probably having the game of his life) runs for 10 yards.

How do you stop that? Do you guys not REMEMBER Steve Spurrier at Florida, and WHY he is one of the greatest?

Come on Auburn fans. Snap out of it. You think we "deserve" to win the SEC? The MNC? Not one single team between now and November 19 will agree with you.

How do you stop that?What a new type of offense has been made that can't be stopped?I think the question is how do WE stop that and the answer is basically we can't.Both the scheme and the players in the scheme except for David Irons,Will Herring and maybe Eric Brock aren't or weren't up to par.

Mike Vick is fast but...he is stopped, he run's a 5 wide a good bit......it's stopped.Good ole ball coach didn't come back from the NFL for nothing,because in the NFL he was nothing.We simply have personnel issues at this time.CWM wants to run "MAN" more and we only have a couple of people on our defense that can "hang" with that.

Well, it's like Dameyune Craig, only with USC, they have an all-American receiver in Rice to chunk it to.

I think Carolina can beat Florida in the Swamp.

By the way, I was listening to CSS postgame on Gamecocks Radio Network - he was very upset with his secondary, said "Well, we have some guys on our team that play typical Carolina football that we've played for years and years. They can play with the big boys, sure, but they're not doing the things it takes to win against them .. we're still a real stupid football team. We'll fix that though. Those fans deserve better than some folks on our team are giving them.."

His no-nonsense approach is about to pop the SEC East. Look out, Steve's back.

Just a little tidbit...They did a ncaa 07 simulation of the game before the actual game and the final score was South Carolina 24 Auburn 31 in OT. So maybe we should be listening to the PS2 :)

nobody is saying the team or the coaches suck or ought to be fired or anything like that.....there are obvious concerns about last nights performance and an inability to stop a very average offense......nobody is berating them......i am not down on the team, just more realistic

Just a little tidbit...They did a ncaa 07 simulation of the game before the actual game and the final score was South Carolina 24 Auburn 31 in OT. So maybe we should be listening to the PS2 :)

See, that validates my point. Even the Japanese know playing :usc: in Columbia is not an easy task. The naysayers I'm speaking of have turned on the team because :au: didn't massacre the cocks by 20+ points in WBS. That, my friend, is the PS2 syndrome.

Archived