Marcus McNeil

kickinwang

San Diego Chargers

McNeill tabbed AFC Offensive Rookie of Month

Send to a friend Print Page Adjust font size small medium large RSS feed

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006

By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

In April’s NFL Draft, six offensive linemen and 21 offensive players were selected ahead of Marcus McNeill. According to the NFL, none of them had a better first month of professional football than the Chargers’ starting left tackle. On Thursday, the League will name McNeill its AFC Offensive Rookie of the Month for September.

“It’s a huge honor,” McNeill said. “Offensive linemen don’t receive a lot of awards like this, so it feels really good to get recognized for all the hard work I’ve put in since I got here. I’m fortunate that I’m getting a chance to play. I realize that has a lot to do with it.”

Through two games, McNeill and the offensive line have helped the Bolts rush for 435 yards as a team. The Chargers have yet to yield a sack. McNeill made sure to recognize his line mates.

“To be a good offense, you have to have five guys up front that are communicating and are on the same page,” McNeill said. “I’ve definitely got that, plus two great coaches who are getting me ready every week. It’s a good group. This (award) is as much about them as it is me.”

Like many of his teammates, McNeill will face his toughest test of the season Sunday. The rookie will regularly find himself matched up against Baltimore’s Terrell Suggs, who already has three sacks this year and had 30.5 in his first three professional seasons.

“I’ve studied him a lot, and the thing that jumps out is his speed around the corner,” McNeill said. “Everybody in this league is fast, but Suggs can really get off the ball. It’s going to be a good test.”

In a conference call with San Diego media Wednesday, Ravens Head Coach Brian Billick was very complementary of McNeill.

“You’re always looking for match ups,” Billick said. “You’re always looking to say, ‘We can beat this guy on the line or we can shut this receiver down. You don’t see those weaknesses across the board (with the Chargers). Obviously we have a great deal of faith in Terrell Suggs and his ability to play, but McNeill has shown that he’s beyond his rookie year. He’s a physical specimen. Even in that match up with it being a rookie, I don’t know that you can definitively say, ‘Okay this is where we’re going to attack.’”

I heard he played every down and like it says here no one gave up a sack. It is a crime that he fell to the 2nd round but he's showing them now.

yeah...good to see he's making the best of it. would have loved to see him go in the first round, but i'm glad he got with the chargers.

well i think i jinxed him...last play of the game, SD going for the hail mary...and he gives up the first sack of the season.

Archived