irons brothers gator chomp

kellyaub90

first post here, War Eagle.

on the topic of "classlessness" by our players and fans, you obviously were NOT at the game. florida came out of the tunnel and cut our band in half during pregame so that they couldn't get back to the student section, then ran over to us in the student section to chomp and give us a bunch of throat cutting motions and "number 1" crap. anything we did afterward was payback, and it was most certainly called for.

i most certainly WAS at the game and have been at every home game for 20 years. i didn't see the gator players go down to the student section, but even if they did, we need to represent ourselves with a little more class.

it was during pregame. if you missed it, you must've been getting a hot dog, cause it was not a quick or subtle thing. why add the bit about "being at every home game for 20 years"? that means it didn't happen if you didn't see it? jeez.

Bama fans are making a big deal out of Prechae doing the Gator thing followed by the throat slash during Tiger Walk.

I'm disappointed in AU players doing that. It's not the way I want them to carry themselves. I hope he is disciplined for it.

It makes me physically ill to see Bama players -- Simpson being the prime offender -- doing that throat slashing thing after they've scraped by another team. It shows an utter lack of class. It's definitely something I never want to see AU players do. And particularly not BEFORE the game even starts. Leave that kind of stuff to the fans.

No, no. It's was only classless when DJ Hall did it last year after beating UF. It's not classless for the AU players, they were only celebrating. I would dig the thread up where DJ was hammered, but I know where it will lead.

I didn't, however, expect you to be ok with it. It's good to see people, AU fan or Bama fan, keep the same stance no matter the situation. :thumbsup:

Bama fans are making a big deal out of Prechae doing the Gator thing followed by the throat slash during Tiger Walk.

I'm disappointed in AU players doing that. It's not the way I want them to carry themselves. I hope he is disciplined for it.

It makes me physically ill to see Bama players -- Simpson being the prime offender -- doing that throat slashing thing after they've scraped by another team. It shows an utter lack of class. It's definitely something I never want to see AU players do. And particularly not BEFORE the game even starts. Leave that kind of stuff to the fans.

No, no. It's was only classless when DJ Hall did it last year after beating UF. It's not classless for the AU players, they were only celebrating. I would dig the thread up where DJ was hammered, but I know where it will lead.

I didn't, however, expect you to be ok with it. It's good to see people, AU fan or Bama fan, keep the same stance no matter the situation. :thumbsup:

Gotta go with Argo on this one. We ripped DJ a new one after that. (But then again, that's what we do :big: ) If you think it wasn't bulletin board material of the highest degree, think back a couple of weeks. UF players and fans used that video as a rallying point to help get fired up for the Tide. I believe CBS or whoever, showed it during the game too. I was like everyone else in getting absolutely P.O.'d about the Tater players walking down there. I'd rather our guys not do it. Run by with the big AU flag or something but don't stoop to their level.

Gotta go with Argo on this one. We ripped DJ a new one after that. (But then again, that's what we do :big: ) If you think it wasn't bulletin board material of the highest degree, think back a couple of weeks. UF players and fans used that video as a rallying point to help get fired up for the Tide. I believe CBS or whoever, showed it during the game too. I was like everyone else in getting absolutely P.O.'d about the Tater players walking down there. I'd rather our guys not do it. Run by with the big AU flag or something but don't stoop to their level.

Fixed that for you.......I think. :big:

First, lets make sure we watch the namecalling just because we don't agree with the opinion of a post. That shows a lack of maturity.

Secondly, the Irons brothers have been known to do things like that before and I have been one of the first to be critical of it. However, it was after a big win and it was at our place, so I really don't have a problem with it. Now, if they would have did that at Gainsville, then I would have a problem. I just don't believe you go into somebody else's house and taunt the other team or their fans. That is asking for trouble. When you are the visiting team, you just win and let that speak for you to the fans. The Florida players apparently forgot to show that kind of respect.

Their fans are also the most arrogant fans I have ever encountered before a game.

I must not have been around the Gator fans you were around. The ones I talked to before and after the game were as nice as they come and the ones before the game were students at UF. Theywere tailgating by us and I started talking to them, and they were great, offered me a couple of shots and everything pripr to the game. I returned the favor after it was over. Even after the game, the Gator fans I talked to were nice as could be, and raved about how much they loved coming to Auburn. I know all teams have their bad fans, but I didn't run into any of them.

First, lets make sure we watch the namecalling just because we don't agree with the opinion of a post. That shows a lack of maturity.

Secondly, the Irons brothers have been known to do things like that before and I have been one of the first to be critical of it. However, it was after a big win and it was at our place, so I really don't have a problem with it. Now, if they would have did that at Gainsville, then I would have a problem. I just don't believe you go into somebody else's house and taunt the other team or their fans. That is asking for trouble. When you are the visiting team, you just win and let that speak for you to the fans. The Florida players apparently forgot to show that kind of respect.

I think its great, personally, what the florida players did was classless, running through the auburn band. Taunting the student section got me fired up but I'm down for a challenge and it showed when I screamed my ass off (esspecially in the second half). And our players were as well. **** talking is a part of all sports and I think that it is perfectly acceptable in certain situations. I wouldn't suggest talking down to the underdog if they've said nothing about us, but if david irons wants to tell people that he's gonna shut out sidney rice or dwayne bowe, or if kenny irons wants to say that he's gonna put up 200 yards, it does two things, it fires up players on both sides as well as fans, and it gives auburn much needed media attention. If Florida's team is gonna taunt the team and the fans before the game, we have every right to rub it in their face afterwards. Having some class is an important part of football, but dont think, for one second, that a sport like football is based on a cornerstone of classiness. Any sport in which players are expected to put all their weight into knocing another player into the ground has little to do with classiness. If you want class, watch the PGA tour, watch the british open, hell, even watch baseball, but if you want real competition, brute strength and fun, come back to college football and yell a little louder when florida's actions come back to bite them in the ass.

I was in the upper level and I saw the Florida players come out and do the gator chomp to our students and the people in the end zone near their section. I also saw them come out when the band was still on the field. I don't really agree with Kenny and David doing that to them, but I admit, I was doing it in the upper level. Had some annoying Florida fans around us, they left pretty quick though!!

I don't like the throat slashing thing either, that is classless and needs to be handled by the coaches. These guys are just young men who don't think sometimes. Excitement gets the better of them.

Like I said, to be the visiting team and mock the fans is a classless move. You let your playing be the only thing that speaks for you after an away game. For Florida to do it before an away game is even dumber. The Irons brother were on their home turf, and as along as they did not say anything ugly to the Florida fans, I don't see anything wrong with mocking them with the gator chop.

Class does belong in football. Just because it more violent then most other sports does not mean there are not a set of "unwritten rules" to show class. Heck, because of how violent football can be, you need to show even more class, because if you don't that makes you a target for the other team. I know when I played ball, if we felt like a player on the other team was acting crossing that line, he could find himself getting hit a little harder or on playes he may not be involved in. He may find himself in a bad situation on the bottom of the pile. Not saying all of that is right either, but it happens, which is why you show class. Word gets around that you like to act like jerk towards other teams fans or other players, then you may be setting yourself up for some bad times. Sounds like UF set themselves up to look very stupid.

The throat slashing is just plain stupid period. I am seeing alot of NFL players do it, so I imagine the college players are imitating them.

Did anyone notice after the game when Kenny and David Irons went over by themselves and stood in front of the Florida section in the corner and did the "gator chomp" at the fans? I guess I'm just old school, but I thought it was pretty classless and I wish they hadn't done it. I have no problem w/ our players celebrating w/ our fans, but when they go over in front of the visitors and act like that, it's a little too "miami" for my taste.....there, I feel better

i guess you must have missed when florida cut off our band to interrupt our fight song playing infront of the student section.

i guess you may have missed when a bunch of florida players ran infont of our student section and did the gator chomp and one guy did a throat slashing gesture

i guess you may have missed when during the game corso put on the gator head again and did the gator chomp towards our fans

and going back to the arkansas game i guess you missed when arkansas entered at the same time as our players

all of those are worse then what the irons brothers did. with as cocky as the florida players and fans were, i really dont care if they were offended, wasnt a big deal and they were much worse than us. cockiest fans i've seen this year.

'Ol David wasn't doing the gator chomp when Percy Harvin made him look like Ned and the first reader out there, now did he? He gets it from his Pappy I guess.

I guess JUwan was doing the throat slash after beating a horrilbe Ole miss team in OT. just wait till November when you see that Overrated Au team!

'Ol David wasn't doing the gator chomp when Percy Harvin made him look like Ned and the first reader out there, now did he? He gets it from his Pappy I guess.

I guess JUwan was doing the throat slash after beating a horrilbe Ole miss team in OT. just wait till November when you see that Overrated Au team!

Wait now, I NEVER said AU was an overrated team. I think AU is a very good team who we stand little chance of beating...

I disagree with about everybody in this thread. I was in the student section, and believe me, what the Florida players did pissed me off to no end. Their fans are also the most arrogant fans I have ever encountered before a game.

However, that does not make it ok for us to do the same thing after we win. I would hope Auburn fans would want to represent ourselves well and treat our opponents with class, even when they do not do the same.

I didn't see the incident (the Irons' brothers), so I can't comment on it specifically. And I'm all for the players celebrating their hearts out over the victory - they earned it.

On the whole, though, I agree with Aubie16. I (like many others on this board, apparently) absolutely despise :uf: , and I think their players / fans are the absolute bottom of the barrell. But that is all the more reason for :au: players and fans not to emulate them.

Class is not limited to particular sports and certainly not out of place in football. Our players should carry themselves with dignity and class whether home or away, and act as if we've been there before. It does take any training at all to do a classless act, but to learn to act with class like good manners does take some instruction. I strongly believe our coaches will provide that instruction and we will continue to develope and maintain a classy program at AU. It does not matter how classless the team may be that we are playing, we should never get down on their level and become like them. Outsiders looking in would think us to equally tasteless just like our classless opponent. Does any Auburn person really want to see us being thought of as Miami, Florida, FSU, etc. with so many players abysmally lacking in class? While it is true there was a prayer meeting on the field postgame with players from both AU and Florida participating, the other group typically gets the exposure.

I am fully confident that problems we might have in this area will be fully and appropriately handled by our coaching staff.

I fully believe when our players leave the field after our fifth in a row this year in Tuscaloosa we will do do with class and dignity acting like this is nothing new to win here, after all, we are now in our third century of never having lost there.

WAR EAGLE!!!

There is a long history of classless acts by Gators. That is one of the reasons the "Great to be a Gator Hater" cheer came about. How about empty Jack Daniel bottles being thrown into the AU student section during the late 70's. How about after the game where Sanders caught the pass in the corner of the end zone their students throwing rocks at AU fans when they walked past. IMO, look in the dictionary at the defination of classless and :uf: is what you will see.

I think they get a little carried away sometimes but it's just their personalities. I think they were just playing around with the Fla. fans who were taunting them a bit. Kenny and DAvid were shaking hands with and hugging some of the Florida players at the same time. I think that's the real reason they went over there in the first place.

Archived