Something to watch for...

StatTiger

There is plenty of discussion about AU's defense. Thus far, AU's defense is allowing 315 yards and 16 pts per game to opponents with a winning record. This isn't too far off the 2004 mark of 310 yards and 13 pts allowed per game. The 2004 squad faced only 5 opponents with a winning record and the 2006 defense has faced the same number with UGA, Alabama and a bowl game left to play.

I do agree AU has some issues on defense but IMO, it's more related to personnel issues than anything else.

One thing I have noticed is the increased production in forced-turnovers. In the first 4 games, AU's defense averaged a forced-turnover every 60.5 plays and in the last 4 it has improved to 1 every 29.4 plays. Currently, AU is averaging 3.5 pts per turnover, which is very good.

During the 1997 season, Auburn's defense gave up 344.1 yards per game but average a FTO every 29.5 plays. It was good enough to get AU to Atlanta. If we can't stop them between the 20's, hopefully the turnovers will keep coming.

:au::football::cheer:

That actually makes me feel better. It is good to see that this defense is not to far off in total numbers. It also the point in year where statistics do actually mean something. I guess it would be too much to ask a comparison of the opponents offense up to this point 04 to 06. In other words did we play better offenses in 04 or 06? When you think about it, has this 06 team faced better offenses than 04. This team has faced Wash St, LSU, FL, ARK, that are looking to be good offensive teams. You could maybe include Tulane. The 04 team had faced LSU, ARK,and TN by this point. I don't know, what do ya'll think.

The turnover margin for this defense is exciting. I just wish it had been there from the start. The fact that in the Florida game, we could bend but not break. We came up with the big plays when we had to and pretty much kept the momentum in the second half. I hope that fired up the team on both sides of the ball and we can continue to come up with big plays.

I didn't know that about the 2004 team. 5 teams with a winning record? LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, and who? Bama or Arkansas? Very interesting.

Ryan

Those are encouraging statistics. I'm curious. I looked at total tackles prior to the Tulane game. Up to that game, there have been 181 tackles by the DB's, 133 tackles by the DL (including DE's) and 127 tackles by the linebackers. Maybe this is meaningless... more tackles by DB's because runners getting past DL and LB's?... too many passes being completed to cause the number of tackles by DB's? Not enough pressure on the QB to cause sacks and hurries? Does this sound normal to you StatTiger? Anyone? Anyone?

Those are encouraging statistics. I'm curious. I looked at total tackles prior to the Tulane game. Up to that game, there have been 181 tackles by the DB's, 133 tackles by the DL (including DE's) and 127 tackles by the linebackers. Maybe this is meaningless... more tackles by DB's because runners getting past DL and LB's?... too many passes being completed to cause the number of tackles by DB's? Not enough pressure on the QB to cause sacks and hurries? Does this sound normal to you StatTiger? Anyone? Anyone?

Two of the top three tacklers are LB's and Dede missed a complete game. As much as AU has played out of the 3-4, I would expect their to be a higher number of tackles by the LB's and safeties.

The turnover margin for this defense is exciting. I just wish it had been there from the start. The fact that in the Florida game, we could bend but not break. We came up with the big plays when we had to and pretty much kept the momentum in the second half. I hope that fired up the team on both sides of the ball and we can continue to come up with big plays.

I didn't know that about the 2004 team. 5 teams with a winning record? LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, and who? Bama or Arkansas? Very interesting.

Ryan

We played Tennessee twice. The 02 and 03 teams played 8 teams with winning records and the 2006 team appears to be headed in the direction with UGA, Alabama and at least a bowl game.

Question for someone like StatTiger--How does the faster clock change the stats? for instance in comparing yards given up between 04 and 06--the 04 team was potentially on the field longer?

I have kind of been disappointed with the defense this year. I was really excited about our secondary and it seems that they haven't performed consistenly all year. They looked great against LSU and in the second half of the Florida game, but it hasn't seemed that they have had consistent play. I know they are young, maybe that's the problem. I hope they get better.

Archived