Largest Cocktail Party ?

mayonaise

No. You can't

But right outside the stadium will be plenty of drinking stands.

So what's your take on the schools trying to dissuade the term "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party"?

I think it's a load of you-know-what. Is there going to be any less drinking because they don't call it a cocktail party? I think not.

Maybe if they lose that name, they'll start calling it the World's Largest Tea Party (iced tea, of course) :lol: .

I'm going this weekend, & I know that you can drink at bowl games. But can you drink at off campus games?

You can drink at bowl games, but not at NCAA sanctioned events. Even though the UF/UGA game is 'off campus', it's still sponsored by the NCAA. I was at the GA Dome for an ACC Basketball tourney once, and there was no beer sales at all!

The party is outside, and the game is inside.

No. You can't

But right outside the stadium will be plenty of drinking stands.

So what's your take on the schools trying to dissuade the term "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party"?

I think it's a load of you-know-what. Is there going to be any less drinking because they don't call it a cocktail party? I think not.

It's a joke. Michael Adams and the UF President should be taken out of their work place and shot in the head for such stupidity. And let me say that I am one of those on here that HATE, HATE when people dismiss players getting DUI's as "small things" that deserves little punishment. But, the fact they think the name promotes or influences drinking is....laughable at best.

Tim Brando is not allowed to say Cocktail and even he laughed at the stupidity of it.

Just to let you all know it is not a RULE that you cant sell alcohol at stadiums. I work in the stadium management field and it is up to the host university. Wis and a few others do sell alcohol at there sports venues. The reason thatv most of your universities do not sell alcoholic bevrages is due the the millions of dollars in liability and insurance you have to carry in order to sell. For example when I worked at Lambeau field a yearly beverage license was 53000. And we had to carry 100 million in insurance to cover any situations. As you all may or may not know when the Giants had an issue where a little girl was severly injured there were over 323 million in claims against the Giants, The Meadowlands, all Management and ARAMARK who ran the food and bev for the building. The biggest issue facing universities is the avg age of students is under 21 and one issue could cripple most universities AU included. The Ga/Fla game is covered by both schools and it is an agreement with the SEC as well. I worked at JHS for 8 years and if you think for one second the food service company, which is still SODEXHO, doesnt weant those dollars your crazy. One football game right now grosses 450 thousand on any given Sat. Over 500 thousand for this years LSU game put just beer in the mix and you are looking at close to if not over 1 million per game!!!! At lambeau we avg 920 thousand per game! Just wanted to clear that urban myth up.

In other action from the Executive Committee, members updated the Association's alcohol policy, recommending that member colleges and universities review a number of suggested actions.

"As college presidents, we are very concerned about the use of alcohol on our campuses and the abuse of it by our students and in society at large," Harrison said.

The suggestions include prohibiting the sale of alcohol during all college sports events (preseason, regular season, conference and postseason); encouraging fans to drink responsibly and legally outside stadiums or arenas; and prohibiting onsite alcohol advertising during all college sports events, taking into account contractual issues already in place with advertisers.

The revised policy also suggests prohibiting media advertising of alcohol that exceeds six percent of alcohol by volume; and limiting advertising of malt beverages, beer and wine products. Such ads should not comprise more than 60 seconds per broadcast hour, two minutes during any game telecast and no more than 14 percent of a game program or publication, and they should include tag lines such as "Drink Responsibly" and "Be Legal."

Furthermore, the alcohol policy calls for NCAA colleges and universities to provide programs and resources for education, prevention and treatment of alcohol abuse.

The NCAA has for years banned sales and advertising of all alcohol at its 88 championships. The association also limits broadcast advertising during championships to not more than 60 seconds per broadcast hour and two minutes in any championship telecast or broadcast. Many of the alcohol ads contain language stressing the legal and responsible use of alcohol.

http://www.ncaasports.com/story/8706763

SLINK you have found the NCAA site regarding this issue. They have control only over NCAA championships.

recommending that member colleges and universities review a number of suggested actions.

This says that it is a recomendation to the member universities. And if this were the LAW then you would have to explain Wisconsins Basketball arena selling Alcohol. Washingtons stadium selling alcohol. The NCAA recomends that all universities not sell but it is not a LAW or Rule!

Not trying to be an ass but I have been in the Sports and entertainment industry for over 13 years. This is an issue at every school that I have worked at. Auburn, Ga.Tech and Virginia. Actually the company that used to have the contract at JHeast :big::big: in 94 tryed to get the sale of Aclohol permited.

I'm surprised that there arent more that do sell alcohol. Wouldn't the beer companies pay a ton to have advertising in the stadiums? I understand the whole age thing, but I'm sure underage drinking is a problem at pro stadiums too.

Went to the Auburn-So Cal game at the Colisuem in LA. They served beer there except they stopped at the end of the 3rd quarter so that no one would " be too drunk to drive ".......Yeah, right.

In the Sugar Bowl two years ago, there were liquor stands in the stadium, I seem to have a foggy memory of visiting one a few times.

They sold beer in LA at the Auburn USC game.

On a side note, the nitwit college presidents are just a bit ridiculous outlawing the usage of "Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party." I hate it when the do-gooders try to get in the way of a good time.

Slink. wasnt saying you said I was wrong just real late for me and may have been a bit edgy. And on the point of underage drinking at pro stadiums. The NPO groups and staff go through about 9 hours of training and are subject to removal and forfiteure of there right to do buis in the stadium or arena if found serving underage or worse intoxicated guests!

I thought the NCAA prohibits alcohol sales at athletic events.

Didn't several SEC schools get "lack of institutional control" violations in times past?

I think it's impossible to control at football stadiums.

Underage drinking and DUI are real threats!

Archived