Good story about Gilbert

bigsixfive

Gilbert wears No. 38 for a reason

When defensive back Zach Gilbert arrived at Auburn as a walk-on, he received locker No. 38, something he saw as a sign from God.

Gilbert is the cousin of former Ole Miss player Chucky Mullins, who was paralyzed following an on-field hit in 1989, then died two years later of complications. Gilbert wears No. 38 to honor Mullins, who wore that number at Ole Miss.

"People ask me why I wear 38," Gilbert said. "I feel like I'm destined to wear it. There was no way I was changing that. My mom was real proud of it -- her and the rest of my family."

After being paralyzed, Mullins went through extensive rehabilitation and returned to Ole Miss as a student in early 1991. He died in May, 1991, from complications from a blood clot.

Since 1990, Ole Miss has awarded the Chucky Mullins Courage Award each spring to a senior defensive player who would then No. 38 the following season. Linebacker Patrick Willis was chosen to wear Mullins' number in 2006, however, the university elected to officially retire Mullins' number this year.

Gilbert, who walked on at Auburn and just earned a scholarship entering the 2006 season, said he draws inspiration from the life of his cousin.

"When I was younger, my mother told me I had an attitude like him -- my determination, my drive," Gilbert said. "I never take anything for granted. I'm just thankful for everything. I wear my number just to represent my cousin and my family. It's going to be an emotional game for me."

Archived