Borges hits the nail on the head

Ranger12

"We've just got to score more touchdowns," Auburn offensive coordinator Al Borges said. "We were moving the ball so well, but we're not scoring enough touchdowns. We've got to get that fix."

Auburn drove inside the 20-yard line three straight times to end the game and came away with a John Vaughn field goal every time.

"We felt we should have scored a couple times where we settled for field goals," Irons said. "That's one thing we've got to work on. When we get in the red zone, we've got to score. We've got to put up seven every time."

After the game, defensive end Quentin Groves put to rest any talk of how this should have been an easy win for Auburn.

"As long as you play football on the Division I level, there's no such thing as an easy win," Groves said.

Link

"As long as you play football on the Division I level, there's no such thing as an easy win," Groves said.

Link

I think more fans need to remember that no matter what size the school is or the fanbase, those guys who put that uniform on and play Div I football give it all they have (for the most part) no matter what the "spread" or media says should happen. I agree with Groves here. :thumbsup:

Link

I think more fans need to remember that no matter what size the school is or the fanbase, those guys who put that uniform on and play Div I football give it all they have (for the most part) no matter what the "spread" or media says should happen. I agree with Groves here. :thumbsup:

Agreed. Like DKW has said before in another thread, we need to remember the spread is set for gamblers to lose money and the bookies to make money. It is not a realistic measurement on how much a team should beat another team by.

Well, I also know if we just back away and take a look at this team, we simply are not the offensive juggernaut the 2004 team was. Neither the defense nor the offense has been able to play 4 complete quarters. We are one of many good football teams. We are not a great team like we had in 2004. I think I was expecting a better team than before and am somewhat disappointed.

Its funny how chemistry can affect a team. The 2004 team was loaded with talent and chemistry. Its really great to be an Auburn Tiger.

See. Even CAB agrees with me. The problem with this year's squad is not the defense. The defense is doing its job despite with a new player in every facet of the unit.

The problem is just us not punching it in and I am glad things are being done to address it.

I think that we're a team that can find a way to win no matter who it is. That's why I think we could potentially stack up against anybody in the nation and play a good game.

Ryan

I thought we were playing great. Did Borges say "fix"? That gloom and doomer...

Its "doom and gloomer". Get it right. :poke:

I thought we were playing great.

We are not playing great. Great would be blowing away :usc::om: . And not getting blindsided by :arky: .

When Gorgeous Borges speaks we listen.

I took the time yesterday and watched a game from 04 and a game from 05.

The loss of our reciever core has hurt bad this year. Things that I noticed was that we don't have the same size and athleticism at that position at the moment. They were also very good at blocking downfield.

We were able to run the bunch sets alot more and be less predictable in those formations because of that reciever core. We had 3-4 legitimate threats at the wide-out position. Defenses couldn't sell out on the run and leave them in man coverage as much as they have been able to this year. Our blocking with that core was as good as alot of teams jumbo sets. They took alot of pressure off our line and their presence itself slowed down stacking the line and blitzing.

Aromashadu was a deep threat and drags over the middle, Obamanu was great at finding openings around the sidelines, and Mix in the middle provided a big target over the middle that broke tackles. Taylor was the player that would go up over people and take the ball away.

I totally agree with CAB, but also point out we are still pretty good at scoring in the red zone (see below). Imagine if we actually finish those drives with a greater percentage of TDs!! We would have run UF off the field and Ole Miss, not to metion a few other teams, possilby. We are getting points on the board, but if more of those FG attempts are turned into TDs, we see a totally different team and everyone talks in a different way about this team.

RED ZONE OFFENSE G RedZone Percent TDs R/P FG-AT Fumb/Int/Downs/Other

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Tennessee........... 8 28-30 93.3 21 11/10 7-7 0/ 0/ 2/ 0

2. Arkansas............ 8 25-28 89.3 22 13/9 3-4 1/ 0/ 1/ 0

3. Auburn.............. 9 29-34 85.3 18 13/5 11-13 1/ 1/ 0/ 1

4. Georgia............. 9 25-30 83.3 18 13/5 7-8 0/ 1/ 3/ 0

5. LSU................. 8 27-33 81.8 25 15/10 2-2 1/ 1/ 1/ 3

6. Kentucky............ 8 22-28 78.6 17 7/10 5-7 0/ 2/ 1/ 1

7. Alabama............. 9 30-39 76.9 15 8/7 15-20 2/ 0/ 1/ 1

8. Ole Miss............ 9 15-20 75.0 7 6/1 8-9 0/ 1/ 3/ 0

9. Vanderbilt.......... 9 23-32 71.9 18 13/5 5-10 2/ 1/ 1/ 0

10.Mississippi St...... 9 15-21 71.4 13 11/2 2-3 1/ 3/ 1/ 0

11.Florida............. 8 19-27 70.4 18 9/9 1-4 2/ 2/ 1/ 0

12.South Carolina...... 8 19-31 61.3 15 8/7 4-6 3/ 3/ 3/ 1

Well, I also know if we just back away and take a look at this team, we simply are not the offensive juggernaut the 2004 team was. Neither the defense nor the offense has been able to play 4 complete quarters. We are one of many good football teams. We are not a great team like we had in 2004. I think I was expecting a better team than before and am somewhat disappointed.

Its funny how chemistry can affect a team. The 2004 team was loaded with talent and chemistry. Its really great to be an Auburn Tiger.

I totally agree with you that neither Offense nor Defense has played a consistent 4 quarters of football.

However you nor anybody else should be trying to compare this football team to 2004, when I got up this morning the calendar read 2006. That was 2 years ago, that was a totally different team with totally different players and a different D Coord. I realize that 2004 was special...it was an awesome team, I hope that I will get to see an Auburn team that complete again in my lifetime. However if you keep trying to compare future teams to 2004 and live in the past you are only going to find disappointment. Forget about the past, you have to look to this team, this is the team we have but to say you are disappointed??? we are 8-1 would you rather have Alabama's record or the the great Seminoles record of 4-4.

I know...I know you naysayers out there say "well we are 8-1 but we have looked like crap"...well I agree at times we have looked like crap there are problems both on offense and defense, but a win is still a win, whether its by 1 point or 50 points. This team has the ability to be great, and I think thats what everyone gets upset about, but to be disappointed...because we dont look like 2004 well I just dont agree with you there!

The 1992 Bama team looked pretty bad untill they spanked Miami and won a MNC.

Do I think Auburn is the top team in the country? No, But I do think this team finds a way to play up to the level of its competition. We have good talent in all three strings that can play with anybody but with the new rules shortening the game the depth of your team does not come into play quite as much. Old Miss is a SEC team and they have a really good first string so they will play hard and can catch you sleeping. Auburn was sleeping when we let Old Miss score in 4 plays to open the game. After that we held them to 10 points while we wasted many good drives with turnovers or setteling for a FG.

If we had played with no turnovers we would have spanked Old miss or if we had not bogged down in the red zone.

I don't know about everyone else, but for me the frustrating thing is knowing how good these guys really are. I just imagine if they had come out against LSU, Arky, UF, even Buffalo, and played 4, even 3, superb quarters of football, I feel like we could have wiped the filed with all of them. Imagine 4 quarters of defense in every game like the second half against UF OR a full 4 quarters of the offense moving the ball up and down the field and putting up TDs in 90% of the trips to the red zone!! This team is capable of doing just that, it boggles my mind why that hasn't happened. I guess it goes back to the chemistry thing?? It just isn't there?? If one component is clicking, then you can bet another component is having an off day!! I am looking for those complete games to come against UGA and bama, or at least praying for them to come then!!

Archived