Offensive Gameplan for Iron Bowl

jwise0022

I read on another post that Lester and Irons in the backfield a la 2004 would be a nice change of pace. I agree completely. As far as I can see, Carl Stewart has not brought much to the table this year. I know he has a few key 1 yard pickups, but without that, he really provides no explosiveness. I think he should be a spot back in key blocking situations.

We need to be less predictable. The toss sweep won't work well this week, at least not when it is anticipated. We need to come up with creative ways to get our guys to the outside.

With how poor the o-line has been, I would like to see more screens and draws. These plays invite the defense upfield, which they undoubtedly will be. After we establish these plays, we can then go back to our normal rushing plays because the defense will be more tentative.

When we have to pass, can we please through the ball over the middle of the field? I think Cox is a decent qb, but he doesn't have the arm strength to get the ball to the outside against a fast defense. We need to run drag routes and crossing routes. Also, the only way we are going to get the ball downfield is if we run misdirection or trick plays. Cox just doesn't have the time.

Can we get Tristan Davis and Robert Dunn involved on offense? They are the only real gamebreakers we possess. There is no reason not to find ways to get these guys the ball. While the reverses to CT were fairly successful last week, why can't you do the same except with more explosive players. Use CT as the blocking receiver on that side because he has proven to be capable in that role.

Finally, the offensive line needs to stop taking plays off. It seems like there is always one guy up front that allows a play to fall apart. I know it isn't talent, it is effort. There is no reason to let a guy bull rush you and get to Cox in under 2.5 seconds. That is just disgusting when it happens.

We need to limit penalties and turnovers. Bama will give us 1 or 2 turnovers, so we need to keep our to 0 or 1 to win that battle.

Anyone else have any thoughts on what they would like to see from our offense this week?

Pretty much anytime Cox audibles it will be a run, and whenever there is a TE in motion, the ball is goign to be run to that side.

What I really want is a RB direct snap... just once. I don't really even care if it doesn't work. I just want to see it happen.

As far as I can see, Carl Stewart has not brought much to the table this year. I know he has a few key 1 yard pickups, but without that, he really provides no explosiveness. I think he should be a spot back in key blocking situations.

He has had a 20+ yard reception in almost every game this season. He has RARELY gotten the ball at any other position except FB. He is one of the most UNDERUSED players on offense. I have yet to see him drop a pass and he blocks well. Just another fact that this offense is stale. When you have a guy that can catch and run in open space from the backfield (ala Ronnie Brown) and you only use it once a game, then your OC has issues. I am a huge CS fan. He has done exactly what has been asked of him this year and then some. Of course they did try to throw those wonderfully executed screens to him last week. What call!!!

What I would really love to see is a backfield with Carl Stewart and Ben Tate to start the game. I would love to see about 7 well executed running plays to start the first drive, followed by a bootleg pass to Trott for their first TD. Then, just to mix things up a little, bring in McLaughlin at FB along with both TE's and Lester at RB. Big guys to open the holes and the little spark plug to run through them at 100mph. Then, sneak Tristan Davis into the backfield for a couple of plays. A couple of halfback passes and a few timely reverses to CT should keep their D in its heels all game long and keep pressure off of Brandon.

On Defense, if Keith Brown doesn't play, I would love to see Savage on several blitzes with 2 deep zone to keep Hall in check. I would also like to see Tray Blackmon make a play or two from his LB spot.

As far as I can see, Carl Stewart has not brought much to the table this year. I know he has a few key 1 yard pickups, but without that, he really provides no explosiveness. I think he should be a spot back in key blocking situations.

He has had a 20+ yard reception in almost every game this season. He has RARELY gotten the ball at any other position except FB. He is one of the most UNDERUSED players on offense. I have yet to see him drop a pass and he blocks well. Just another fact that this offense is stale. When you have a guy that can catch and run in open space from the backfield (ala Ronnie Brown) and you only use it once a game, then your OC has issues. I am a huge CS fan. He has done exactly what has been asked of him this year and then some. Of course they did try to throw those wonderfully executed screens to him last week. What call!!!

I think CS is a relly good teammate and leader. He has proven that he is committed to the program. However, he is not explosive, and runs too upright to break tackles. Usually, you want a fullback that is low to the ground and uses leverage to uproot the linebackers that he is trying to block. I think CS and Tre Smith are in the same category. They were good players coming out of high school, but our recruiting has been so much better as of late that their talent is obsolete. WHile I think they are both good men, I don't think they have the ability to have a huge impact on THIS WEEKS game. I think that both of them should be rewarded for their commitment in the bowl game, just not this weeks bowl.

I agree that CS is a good enough fullback, but the reason I don't think he should play much this week is because I want our offensive scheme to change. I don't think we have the power up front to open up holes on power plays. I think we need to use misdirection and counter to offset the surge we will see up front from the Bama d-line. I hope we all know what Bama's game plan will be. THey are going to bring pressure, big time pressure, on obvious passing downs. We should counter this with crossing routes and screens to lester. I want our 3rd and 7 or 8 plays to be screens, not 3 step drops and 6 yard routes.

If we are going to run the same boring offense we have had all year, then yes, keep CS in the game because he is the best we got. Otherwise, get Lester, Davis, Dunn, Irons, Taylor, and Rod Smith the ball so they can make plays, big plays. No more 2 and 3 yard gains on 1st and 2nd down.

I stopped reading when I saw less of Carl Stewart and more screens.

Thats probably about the same time you stopped watching the games. Although our one completed screen this weekend (to CS) was for a loss of 3 yards, the other screen, where Cox launched it at Lester and was incomplete, was wide open and would have gone for a gain of at least 15. The screen has been there every game because teams just pin their ears back and come after Cox knowing that our O-line is only good for about 3 seconds a play. Anyone who knows football knows that you combat pressure with draws, screens, and a good ground game. If our o-line gave 4-5 seconds on every passing down then I would say we should throw it deep. That is not the case. If you watched the game this weekend you saw Lester playing awfully well. You would have noticed that 3 of the INTs were passes to the sideline and the other was a tipped ball over the middle. The middle of the field is always open because teams know that the majority of our routes are either fades or out routes. Why be so predictable?

Things I would like to see.

Offense:

MISDIRECTION have not seen all year

Short/quick passes over the middle (slants) BC does not need to throw a ball that travels more than 15-20 yrds in the air.

Passes to back that runs up thru middle of line - we have run this play a few times

Reverse with someone other than CT. He is a great player but can be rundown by a lb. Use one of our faster players.

If BC is able (big IF), bootleg to the right instead of always to his left.

No 7 step drops. Line and BC not that capable.

BC ball behind back pass play.

Defense

More 4 man line and less 3 man

Blitzes that actually work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cover DJ Hall

Force JPxyzW to force his throws

Do not let JPxyzW break containment or run qb draw

ANYTHING THAT WINS THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to see Auburn run the ball down the field and when they get in the red zone CONTINUE RUNNING THE BALL! I think all my neighbors are getting tired of me screaming when the offense gets all the way down the field and starts throwing the ball inside the 10. I understand football. It's about showing one thing and doing another. But when you have an offense that can run the ball, keep it up the closer you get to the goal line.

My 2 cents.

Interchangeable SPLIT backfields with Lester/ Irons and Stewart/Tate.

Reverse to Trsitan Davis. (Courtney does not have breakaway speed.)

Middle screen to TE.

Blake Fields stretching the D w/longball: preferably a post-corner route that we haven't thrown all year.

:au: More points.

:ua: Less points.

I'm tired of trying to speculate what might cure our various breakdowns, lapses, woes, etc. In any event, one silver lining in all this is that I won't have to listen any more to the incessant "style points" banter - if there's a bigger load of crap than the notion that "just winning" isn't good enough (reason #477 of 1,001 reasons the BCS is ruining college football), I don't want to step in it. Plus, it's the Iron Bowl -- in short, JUST WIN, BABY.

:au:

One thing I would like to see is the offensive line blocking for a change, instead of getting whipped. I don't think our offensive line could block a high school team. I'm sorry, Hugh Nall has done a crappy job this year. Their is no excuse for getting whipped like we did against UGA.

I would like to win the toss and take the ball. On the first play go 80 yards off the right side would be nice. Something I liked last week that we haven't seen before was McLaughlin and Stewart in the backfield together. I think with the way the line has played we should try the old shuffle pass underneath to Lester. Bama has shown this year they have a problem stopping the play. I would like to see a few more toss plays instead of the long stretch handoff. I always have liked loading up the strong side and pitching to the weak side. I think Borges is just going to need to be creative with not so much trick plays but just a change of pace.

Yo Al Borges...

USE YOUR RUNNINGBACKS AS RECIEVERS!!! Send them across the middle and especially to the outside. Our LBs won't be able to blitz Cox and cover Lester/Irons no matter how poor your o-line is or how immobile your QB is. Watch what Jacob Hester did to our 5.3/40 slow linebacking corp. This is a very simple offensive gameplan. Bama's chances of winning increase astronomically if Borges tries to get cute and doesn't stick to basics. If he does stick to the basics... our tongues are going to be hanging by the 4th and AU will be assured of a victory.

I agree. Stewart is incredibly talented and is not given enough opportunity. If they'd use him more, he'd become a real threat and teams would key in on him, opening up the offense a little.

i want us to open it up a little if we can early to open our run game. bammer knows were gonna try to run the ball so id like us to get the ball to ct some more, who imo as been our best offensive weapon. then once we get that pass going, then we can start punding them and mixing it up. thats when borges' offense is at his best, when we got some rhythm in the pass game. but heck, we've got to protect the qb and not be so vanilla. throw out what all has happened the first 11 games and have a new mindset for saturday.

a handful of thoughts: robert dunn is not a gamebreaker. i think he has two or three receptions on his career to go along with losing the punt return job to tre smith... he might develop into a playmaker one day, but this ain't the game for it. courtney is the fastest receiver on the team. if you want the reverse (and everyone seems to love the idea of misdirection), he's your guy. deal with it. tristan davis doesn't play and won't play on the offense. that's a pipedream this week. uga has much better personnel in the front seven (moses and johnson, in particular, are both nfl ends that had average seasons); the offensive line will look more like it did in the previous 4 weeks than it did last week.

stuff i'd like to see:

1) utilize carl, tommy, and gabe in the passing game to keep the linebackers honest and work the middle of the field.

2) 35+ running plays with kenny and brad both getting at least 15 each

3) slants, posts, square ins, hitches, and drags... maybe a double move later if they start to try to jump routes

4) power running with a dash of the sweep; not vice versa

5) creativity. we got burned trying to run a trick play against arkansas and basically threw the "fun" plays out the window ever since. it's time to bring them back. the players look frustrated and the schemes look stale. let's have some fun out there!

defensively:

1) pat lee, marquis gunn, and chris browder in the starting lineup. let's play physical run stuffing defense early and make them one-dimensional.

2) brock back in the lineup (that might just be a dream though)

3) zone blitzes. this is something we walked away from early in the year, but i still think we have the personnel to do it. drop gunn or groves into coverage and blitz hard off the other side. give johnny walker something to think about.

4) bump coverage with safety help over the top on dj hall all day. keith brown is hurt so there's no excuse not to dedicate more attention to hall.

I just can't remember the last time we ran a screen and it worked well. Every time Carl Stewart catches a pass it goes for about 20 yards. I'm not saying we need to have him run the ball a lot but look for him on the wheel route. I think he is a very good blocker as well.

Archived