The Downward Spiral Continues...

otterinbham

I really can't remember such incompetent crisis management by any organization. Yet, the UofA continues to hemorrhage credibility.

Look, either fire Shula or keep him on. If you keep him on, then issue a statement. But every day the Alabama administration waffles means that Coach Shula looks worse, and makes Bama even less attractive to any prospective coaching hire. And the recruits and their parents have to think twice to be recruiting into that cauldron.

Bama, Auburn, Notre Dame, Texas & a handfull of other schools have to work @ NOT getting good recruits because so many kids grow up wanting to play for those schools. All those schools will always have quality HC applicants too, for the paycheck & prestige if nothing else. Petrino to Tuscaloser.

Petrino to Tuscaloser.

I don't think so. The dude is (somehow) knocking on the door to the national title game. Why would he leave a potential ring for a guaranteed mess?

Well, they weren't lining up during the last coaching search.

"Its rollin baby, its rollin!"

Bama, Auburn, Notre Dame, Texas & a handfull of other schools have to work @ NOT getting good recruits because so many kids grow up wanting to play for those schools. All those schools will always have quality HC applicants too, for the paycheck & prestige if nothing else. Petrino to Tuscaloser.

Petrino to Tuscaloser? Not in this lifetime.

If you were a head coach or had head coaching aspirations, would you consider UAT? I'm talking about a coach with any real credentials. That place is a wreck right now. They have had 4 coaches since 2000. No coach since Stallings has lasted more than 4 years. If they get rid of Shula there will be one more streak continued. Changing coaches now will hurt them even more than they have already hurt themselves with recruits. There will be yet another "rebuilding" period.

Maybe I am just looking through my Burnt Orange and Navy Blue glasses, but just I wouldn't touch that job.

common misconception that the bama job is a high paying one. even after his contract extention (and huge raise) shula is in the middle of the pack among sec coaches (lower middle actually). as far as i know, tubby, meyer, fulmer, spurrier, miles, richt, and possibly even nutt make more. bama has an arrogance (similar to notre dame) that they don't have to pay coaches big time money b/c of the prestige of the program. nd finally snapped out of it; i doubt bama will. they'll never pay petrino enough to make him interested.

"I don't think so. The dude is (somehow) knocking on the door to the national title game. Why would he leave a potential ring for a guaranteed mess?"

You mean you don't HOPE so. Just as an example...exactly on point by the way...Howard Schnellenberger, a man MUCH later in his career @ the time than Petrino is now, left a top 10 Louisville team to coach @ another "traditional power" on the ropes: Oklahoma. The guy that preceded Petrino, John L. Smith, left a VERY successful Louisville program to coach @ a Mich. State program that has won multiple MNCs, but was in a talespin. See, these guys KNOW that even if they go undefeated w/ Louisville's pansy schedule (something that's never happened there by the way) they'll still have to play a REAL team in the bowl and they will never win the MNC @ UL.

Re. going to Bama (or the others) for money:

Coaches @ schools like Bama, Auburn, Miami, ND, etc don't make their money from their SALARIES, they make it from endorsing products and by having contracts giving them % of school-related sales (e.g. school clothing and other parafernalia. Kind of explains that hokey "Welcome to the Jungle" thing Tubs was pushing a few years back doesn't it).

But the bottom line is these guys ALL LIVE & BREATH football, to the exclusion of family, friends and everything else. Most of them dream of the high profile rush of coaching @ a school w/ that much exposure and pay is as much a respect thing to them as anything else.

all i'm saying is i'd bet a dollar to a dime that petrino never takes that job if he's ever offered.

Petrino is making good money now. He doesn't have to take a risk like this. He will get better chances, if we wants them. I think he is at Louisville now for a long time.

personally, i agree. i don't see him, rodriguez, or schiano going anywhere anytime soon. but we'll see. all three of them are going to get offers.

Id like to know when we started to have to work NOT to get good recruits.? If you believe that you are crazy. We are only considered with those schools right now because of our recent success and CTT's good recruiting. Most of our big players wanted to play for other schools growing up (and some of them even did). Some schools have huge areas with a lot of population where they are THE school to go to if you are a big recruit (Texas, LSU). Weve just been able to get some good players and develop them into some good NFL talent.

Maybe I am just looking through my Burnt Orange and Navy Blue glasses, but just I wouldn't touch that job.

i'm just gonna be picky and say there's nothing "burnt" about auburn's orange. it's actually a really obnoxiously saturated orange, and there are actually two different interchangable colors (one with more yellow and one with more red), officially. i could give you the pantones if you want, but i'm just a graphic design nerd so i know i'm the only one that cares about that.

/had to do some work for the university

//got very familiar with our official colors

to be on topic, if saban, spurrier or petrino end up in turd town, i'll be 100% dumbfounded.

i'm just gonna be picky and say there's nothing "burnt" about auburn's orange. it's actually a really obnoxiously saturated orange, and there are actually two different interchangable colors (one with more yellow and one with more red), officially. i could give you the pantones if you want, but i'm just a graphic design nerd so i know i'm the only one that cares about that. End quote.

Actually, you are wrong. The reason I don't have an orange sweatshirt is that I can't find one "burnt" enough.

On topic, what kind of year did Bobby Wallace have in Livingston?

i'm just gonna be picky and say there's nothing "burnt" about auburn's orange. it's actually a really obnoxiously saturated orange, and there are actually two different interchangable colors (one with more yellow and one with more red), officially. i could give you the pantones if you want, but i'm just a graphic design nerd so i know i'm the only one that cares about that.

/had to do some work for the university

//got very familiar with our official colors

to be on topic, if saban, spurrier or petrino end up in turd town, i'll be 100% dumbfounded.

Kids these days... :rolleyes:

dang it they just finished the statues of the graven images outside the stadium. Now possibly another coach to replace. Please keep Shula it isn't his fault.

Why be a small frog in a big pond...when you can be a big frog in a small pond. Ask Bobby Bowden...Petrino stays at L'ville....

:au::homer:

Archived