Bobby Petrino to Falcons

AU Tailgating Rules

Holy Crap... that was quick. No rumors or anything - they signed him quick!!

Definately didn't see that one coming. I'm glad we can put aside any rumors regarding Tubs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2723700

Falcons nab Louisville's Petrino for head coach slotBy Pat Forde

ESPN.com

Louisville coach Bobby Petrino has accepted a five-year, $24 million offer from the Atlanta Falcons to become their new coach, according to a Louisville source.

The Cardinals have a previously scheduled 9 p.m. ET team meeting at which Petrino will tell his players, the source said. ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reported that an NFL source also confirmed the hiring.

"I'm in shock right now," Louisville kicker Arthur Carmody told ESPN's Joe Schad Sunday night. "I'm about to walk into a team meeting right now. We're coming off a great Orange Bowl win and we were all thinking national championship. I didn't think this would happen. He said he enjoyed college football. He's a great coach and we're going to miss him."

An announcement from the Falcons could come Monday. ESPN's Chris Mortensen first reported earlier Sunday evening that the Falcons were in deep negotiations with Petrino.

Before the season, Petrino signed a 10-year, $25 million contract with Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich. Petrino had previously interviewed with Auburn, LSU, Notre Dame and the Oakland Raiders for other jobs, but announced in August that he would be at Louisville for the long haul.

"I can't tell you how happy I am with the commitment and the confidence that Tom Jurich has in me and the university has in me," Petrino said after signing the contract. "I also wanted to make sure that everyone understood, I know I've said it, that this is where my family wants to be. This is where I want to be. I want everyone to really believe it."

Louisville had just completed a 12-1 season climaxed by their first BCS bowl victory, over Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl. Petrino's record was 41-9 at Louisville, as he elevated the program into an annual national contender.

The leading candidate to replace Petrino figures to be Tulsa coach Steve Kragthorpe, who has taken the Golden Hurricane to three bowl games in four years after taking over one of the worst programs in the country.

Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com. ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach and Len Pasquarelli and ESPN's Joe Schad and Chris Mortensen contributed to this report.

What about Jimbo Fisher to Louisville?

But according to some Bammers, Tubs was good as gone to Atlanta. Petrino reminds me of Saban, can't stay in one spot for too long. Maybe Bobby P. will let Vick loose and find some wr's that can catch.

Petrino is one of the best I've seen to make use of the talent he's got on hand. (Ref. '02 Iron Bowl. What a masterful job.)

It will be interesting to see what kind of personality the Falcons take on now.

But according to some Bammers, Tubs was good as gone to Atlanta. Petrino reminds me of Saban, can't stay in one spot for too long. Maybe Bobby P. will let Vick loose and find some wr's that can catch.

Vick is Blank's guy all the way. They are tied to him b/c of money. I am in Atlanta, have been all of Vick's career. Every season the Vick supporters say the same thing, "if only he had wr's", "if only he was not in the west coast offense", "if only he had a good offensive line" etc. Every year is another excuse for the guy. he has had what six years now headed to his seventh as QB for the Falcons? I said it in another thread, Vick is not good (smart) enough to read the defenses to put his offense in a position for success, plus he is as good as a passer as he ever will be.

Petrino has NO CALL on whether Vick stays or goes. The Falcons cannot afford an offensive line b/c of the money tied up in Vick anyway.

IMHO, Vick should go, but as stated above NO WAY POSSIBLE!!!!

5 year, 26 million. press conf. tomorrow @ 2pm.

<not super happy about the hire.

i do not like the hire either. All you need to do is look at Spurrier and Saban. Both of those guys could'nt hack it. What makes anyone think Petrino can, b/c he has had success at Louisville as HC and Auburn as OC? What about the resumes of the other two mentioned coaches above?

Vick is Blank's guy all the way. They are tied to him b/c of money. I am in Atlanta, have been all of Vick's career. Every season the Vick supporters say the same thing, "if only he had wr's", "if only he was not in the west coast offense", "if only he had a good offensive line" etc. Every year is another excuse for the guy. he has had what six years now headed to his seventh as QB for the Falcons? I said it in another thread, Vick is not good (smart) enough to read the defenses to put his offense in a position for success, plus he is as good as a passer as he ever will be.

Petrino has NO CALL on whether Vick stays or goes. The Falcons cannot afford an offensive line b/c of the money tied up in Vick anyway.

Are you, by any chance, a fan of the bucs?

No, not a bucs fan. Although I pull for Carnell to do well.

Schaub deserves a shot at QB.

Vick is a triple threat. Line him up at WR, RB and QB.

Sorry about the last post screw up. Do not post much but have been lately, getting used to it.

Coach Petrino is a great guy and a very good college coach, but I really don't see him being able to succeed where recent former college coaches have failed. I am one of those in the school of thought that a successful NFL coach is made by being an assistant at the level for quite a few years and working his way up. History is not kind to college coaches that make the leap to the NFL as a head coach. With that said, I hope Petrino is an exception to the rule.

Going to be interesting to see who Louisville hires in his place. Could Borges be a candidate, since Louisville has had success raiding our coaching ranks before? I am going to be selfish and say I hope not, but I would be naive to think he was going to be at :au: forever.

Coach Petrino is a great guy and a very good college coach, but I really don't see him being able to succeed where recent former college coaches have failed. I am one of those in the school of thought that a successful NFL coach is made by being an assistant at the level for quite a few years and working his way up. History is not kind to college coaches that make the leap to the NFL as a head coach. With that said, I hope Petrino is an exception to the rule.

Exactly and I wish him all the best and hope he proves all critics wrong. Including me!!

Slink, Chris Mortenson just said on sportscenter that the owner told Petrino that he can have 100% say in what to do with Vick (keep or trade)CM said that they will not trade Matt Shaub. maybe he will get rid of Vick?

This is only his second HC job. Don't think that comparison is quite fair.

For those of you who are afraid of Borges leaving and/or were disappointed when Petrino left, I think you should consider this: After the Hugh Nall attempt at coordinator, we got a guy in Borges that braught new and innovative ideas to the offense, and we saw the result in 2004. I think most would agree that the offense sputtered a bit this year, maybe because Borges no longer felt like we needed the gimmick shifts and gadget plays. Well, when Borges does finally get a head coaching position, maybe a really fine coordinator will say, "hey, everyone offensive coach at Auburn ends up getting a head coaching job, and recently a coach got an NFL job." That is one benefit to coaches leaving, perhaps negating the loss of continuity. I think we were all disappointed when Chizik left, but we ended up with a pretty good one, who will only get better until he gets his shot. Its a good sign when assistant coaches leave for head coaching jobs, its a sign of strength, not the other way around. Every top program experiences this, maybe with the exception of Ohio St., but I think they will experience it soon enough.

Always look on the bright side. :au:

This whole thing just makes me that much more glad that Petrinogate fell through. Can you imagine what the Bammers would be doing right now after hiring Saban and us losing Petrino?

Archived