Bobby Petrino to Falcons

AU Tailgating Rules

This whole thing just makes me that much more glad that Petrinogate fell through. Can you imagine what the Bammers would be doing right now after hiring Saban and us losing Petrino?

I would hope leaving Louisville would be easier than leaving Auburn...

I can't help but agree with those who say hiring a college coach in the NFL may not be the best decision. Plus I was hoping he'd stay with the Cards a little longer--they've been fun to watch.

That said, I really do feel for Louisville. They were doing so good, better than they ever have. So close to becoming one of the "big boys". For them, I hope whoever the new coach is can continue that, but I'm afraid their "golden age" is over for now.

His brother Paul, OC at Louisville, is now allegedly in the Bama OC mix:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh....xml&coll=2

Saban has also reached out to several offensive coordinator candidates.

One emerging candidate appears to be Paul Petrino, the University of Louisville's offensive coordinator. His brother Bobby Petrino reportedly accepted the job as the Atlanta Falcons head coach late Sunday.

Certainly, like all assistants, once the head coach moves on, Paul's job is at Louisville is in jeopardy. Don't know if he can follow Bobby to Atlanta. Also don't know if he has the same football savy as his brother. One thing we've learned from the Bowden family--coaching talent is not necessarily genetic!

5 year, 26 million. press conf. tomorrow @ 2pm.

<not super happy about the hire.

i do not like the hire either. All you need to do is look at Spurrier and Saban. Both of those guys could'nt hack it. What makes anyone think Petrino can, b/c he has had success at Louisville as HC and Auburn as OC? What about the resumes of the other two mentioned coaches above?

...because he is a former NFL coach so he know what to expect. :rolleyes:

Slink, Chris Mortenson just said on sportscenter that the owner told Petrino that he can have 100% say in what to do with Vick (keep or trade)CM said that they will not trade Matt Shaub. maybe he will get rid of Vick?

The word, per ESPN radio this morning, is that Vick will be dealt. Bottom line is winning SBs. :thumbsup:

For those of you who are afraid of Borges leaving and/or were disappointed when Petrino left, I think you should consider this: After the Hugh Nall attempt at coordinator, we got a guy in Borges that braught new and innovative ideas to the offense, and we saw the result in 2004. I think most would agree that the offense sputtered a bit this year, maybe because Borges no longer felt like we needed the gimmick shifts and gadget plays. Well, when Borges does finally get a head coaching position, maybe a really fine coordinator will say, "hey, everyone offensive coach at Auburn ends up getting a head coaching job, and recently a coach got an NFL job." That is one benefit to coaches leaving, perhaps negating the loss of continuity. I think we were all disappointed when Chizik left, but we ended up with a pretty good one, who will only get better until he gets his shot. Its a good sign when assistant coaches leave for head coaching jobs, its a sign of strength, not the other way around. Every top program experiences this, maybe with the exception of Ohio St., but I think they will experience it soon enough.

Always look on the bright side. :au:

Borges is not in the same class as (OC) Bobby Petrino. Look up the stats... :no:

Guest Tigrinum Major

I am officially starting the Houston Nutt to Louisville campaign here. Not because I am an Arkansas fan so much as I have friends who are and they are going to bust a blood vessel in their temple if he is still in Fayetteville next fall.

Slink, Chris Mortenson just said on sportscenter that the owner told Petrino that he can have 100% say in what to do with Vick (keep or trade)CM said that they will not trade Matt Shaub. maybe he will get rid of Vick?

I would believe that. But, we will see...Vick getting out of the West Coast could be very helpful for him.

Plus a new WR coach can't hurt.

Archived