Saban editorial

AU alum

This editorial was in today's Montgomery Advertiser. I couldn't believe it was there, with the "balance" they always try to show, they say. But it really says it well. It's worth a read.

"Saban's statement far too wishy-washy

The University of Alabama seems to be snakebit ten when it comes to being embarrassed by head football coaches. The Tide can now add Nick Saban to the list.

Saban used a derogatory term for Cajuns while talking with reporters for the Miami news media the day he was introduced as Alabama's new head coach.

We won't repeat the term here. It is a word that some Cajuns use with pride to refer to themselves, but which many would see as highly offensive -- especially when used by an outsider.

Saban should realize that there are a lot of such words in Alabama -- or anywhere for that matter. And it's not just racial and ethnic minorities who can be offended. For instance, it's not uncommon for some white Alabamians to call themselves rednecks with a sense of pride, but Saban needs to know that if he uses that term in some bars in the state, he risks not leaving in one piece.

Saban issued a statement to the news media that only makes matter worse, if for no other reason than what it doesn't say. But what it says is bad enough.

The statement reads: "It was brought to my attention this afternoon that some comments attributed to me are being disseminated on the Internet and in the news media, comments that included wording that can be taken as derogatory by some people. Those comments need to be placed in the proper context, so as to understand the meaning of what was said. The words were used in paraphrasing a story told to me by a friend. I was simply using the same wording used by the person who told me the story. The term in question is not language that I use or condone, and I can understand how some would take offense. However, I think it must be noted that those comments were made 'off the record' and the words merely reflected an anecdote that was told to me using that language."

C'mon, coach, how wimpy and wishy-washy can you get?

Look at what Saban's statement actually says:

"Wording that can be taken as derogatory by some people." It was inevitably going to be seen as derogatory by a lot of people.

"I was simply using the same wording used by the person who told me the story." That sounds like a 5-year-old trying to tell his mother that there was nothing wrong with using a bad word because his friend Timmy did it first.

"The term in question is not language that I use or condone." Of course you used it, coach. They've got you on tape. And by repeating it, you condoned its use.

"I think it must be noted that those comments were made 'off the record.'" That may be the worst part of this statement. Surely Saban doesn't think it's OK to use an ethnic slur when he's "off the record" or just talking casually. That implies that the coach doesn't have a problem with such terms, only with it being reported that he uses them.

But what does the statement not say? It doesn't apologize, either to the people about whom he was speaking or to the University of Alabama, which he embarrassed.

What Saban should have said was: "I used the term, I was wrong, and I apologize."

This editorial was in today's Montgomery Advertiser. I couldn't believe it was there, with the "balance" they always try to show, they say. But it really says it well. It's worth a read.

Good article indeed.

To be fair, I can't say I'm too suprised that they didn't hold back.

To use those old SAT analogies:

CNN is to Democrats as Birmingham News is to uat

Fox News is to Republicans as Montgomery Advertiser is to Auburn.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find all of this whole Saban debacle to be hilarious. I really think this is a STRONG indicator of what the next 2-3 years are going to be like until Saban leaves.

You can buy all the Daniel Moore prints you want, but :ua: still = :om: .

Are we STILL talking about Nick Saban? The guy's a d##cebag. End of story. He was when he was at LSwho and he still is one now at Bammer. The only good thing about this situation is going to be when every major team from the SEC comes to destroy him. I have a feeling that his return will be much like Spurrier's. Except, more people hate Nick now so the BEATDOWNS will be relentless.

Ryan

Are we STILL talking about Nick Saban? The guy's a d##cebag. End of story. He was when he was at LSwho and he still is one now at Bammer. The only good thing about this situation is going to be when every major team from the SEC comes to destroy him. I have a feeling that his return will be much like Spurrier's. Except, more people hate Nick now so the BEATDOWNS will be relentless.

Ryan

The difference, I think, between $aban and Spurrier - everybody seemed to agree, that no matter how much they couldn't stand Spurrier, he was a great coach. And not that he is at South Carolina, I think the perceptions about him are changing. People still seem to agree on the great coach part, and some are starting to even think he's an OK guy. I think the whole deal was UF. They are still ***holes, but he isn't. Looks like UF was the problem all along. $aban is a different deal. He is an ***hole, and doesn't have the great coach description to fall back on.

but which many would see as highly offensive -- especially when used by an outsider.

Note to Journalists. Try actually talking to some

68% of them agree.

Oh man, well that is some concrete evidence! :roflol:

Gotta go with SL on this one.

Is it racist? No!!! Is it funny that Bammer is having to go thru this? H--- YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Archived