Top 5 Most Impressive Signing Days

DKW 86

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=639848

Signing Day Winners

Southern California

Should we have doubted Pete Carroll and his staff? Swinging Ronald Johnson away from Michigan days before Signing Day was impressive. Landing McKnight was more impressive when you consider: 1. McKnight passed on home state school LSU 2. The Trojans have several young running backs already on the roster. 3. Marc Tyler and Broderick Green were committed to USC as well. McKnight was the only new commitment for USC on the day, but he was enough to push them to the No. 2 slot overall just behind Florida. His signing proved once again that Southern Cal reloads year after year.

North Carolina

Butch Davis had a good foundation to work with, thanks to ex-coach John Bunting. However, Davis finished much stronger than his predecessor would have. UNC's Signing Day haul was amazing for a team struggling to stay afloat in its conference. Marvin Austin, Dwight Jones, Kevin Bryant and Greg Little all chose the Tar Heels on the final day, arguably the most impressive finish of any team in the country.

Florida State

The Seminoles finished well once again. This time, it was more of a necessity than a luxury. Brandon Paul was a lock, but pulling Markish Jones (Clemson) and Antwane Greenlee (Georgia) away from other schools made this a top-20 class. Jatavious Jackson and Maurice Harris also added to the last day draw. Finishing behind UNC in the ACC isn't expected, but Bobby Bowden and company pushing their way to No. 2 in the conference was another strong close.

Auburn

Was there a top class that was overlooked nationally more than Auburn's? Florida, Tennessee, LSU and South Carolina got the headlines, but Auburn had the best final day. Tommy Tuberville received six commitments on Signing Day. The last-minute haul featured Josh Bynes, Carlton Johnson and Nick Fairley. Finishing fifth in the SEC recruiting race doesn't sound so impressive, but it is when you finish seventh in the nation.

Oklahoma

Bob Stoops had a big day on Wednesday, pulling in five top players to push his class into the top 15. Ryan Broyles, Frank Alexander and Travis Lewis were all huge gets for Oklahoma. They put the Sooners within a few points of a Nebraska class that had nine more commitments.

Should we have doubted Pete Carroll and his staff

I've heard PC and staff setup a conference call between McKnight and Reggie Bush so that Bush could convince McKnight that USC wouldn't be going on probation. Supposedly McKnight mentioned that at his signing press conference. Think the NCAA will care this time? <_<

Sorry, didn't see the post below.

I'll say this. If we keep recruiting like we have over the past 7 years, then there is no force on earth that will prevent our Tigers from winning a national championship, not even the BCS. Most teams that win titles are the teams that recruit well over an extended period of time and keep knocking on the door until they finally break through, i.e Texas under Mack Brown, Ohio State back in '02, and Florida this past year. We were well on our way to a national title under Pat Dye until Eric Ramsey. Remember how Doug Barfield was a bad coach but excellent recruiter? Most of the 1983 team were Doug Barfield recruits. The bottom line here is excellence and consistency in recruiting. In the last 20 years, we've had two serious drop offs with recruiting, with Pat Dye resigning, and Terry Bowden's mismanagement of recruiting. Since Tuberville arrived, we have consistently recruited well now for the past 6, maybe 7 years. If we don't have another serious drop off in the next few years, then we'll be in great shape.

That's the problem. We WILL put it on the field, beat each other up & keep each other from going undefeated.

Remember that I am the one that posted the "Recruiting Rankings" do matter threads....yet when all these SEC teams finish high in the recruiting rankings it tells me one thing

Coaching will make the difference

A great coach with average/good talent with beat a good coach with great talent, imo. The actualy talent "gap" between UGA/UT/UF/USC/AU/UA/LSU/ARK is really not as big as some think or at least I don't think so.

Archived