Houston Nutt addresses rumors

Nay4AU

Razorbacks coach Nutt addresses rumors in open letter

April 17, 2007

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas football coach Houston Nutt said in an open letter Tuesday that Razorback fans who obtained records regarding his school-issued cell phone and suggested he had an improper relationship with a woman were spreading "unfounded gossip" that had hurt his wife.

Advertisement

Cell phone records obtained by fans and media under Arkansas' Freedom of Information Act showed that Nutt exchanged text messages with the cell phone of a female television news anchor more than 1,000 times over a six-week period, including once just 19 minutes before the start of the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1.

Nutt said his correspondence was appropriate communication with a friend and colleague, some of it about her work for a nonprofit organization with which he is involved. "Any allegation or suggestion that our professional and personal friendship or involvement goes beyond that is false, careless, and purposefully vindictive," Nutt wrote.

The material obtained has not indicated what any of the text messages said. The coach, under fire after the departures of a popular assistant coach and freshman quarterback Mitch Mustain, said he would have released the texts but that the phone company had informed his lawyer they were not available.

Other information obtained under the FOI law reportedly noted contact among Houston Nutt, his brother and running backs coach Danny Nutt and family friend Teresa Prewett on the day Mustain received a harsh e-mail from Prewett. The head coach gave Prewett an official reprimand and barred her from the sidelines during games after the letter was traced to her.

"Once again, for the record, I had no prior knowledge of that e-mail and promptly reprimanded Ms. Prewett when I learned of the correspondence," Nutt wrote Tuesday. "I have respect for Mitch Mustain and wish him the very best in the future."

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported Tuesday that last month Mustain himself requested Nutt's telephone records, along with those of Danny Nutt and athletic director Frank Broyles.

Nutt's letter was e-mailed to the media by Arkansas sports information director Kevin Trainor.

Link

I don't understand why Nutt stays in that madhouse. They are getting to be almost as bad as the Bammers.

He's got to wake up kicking himself everyday for not taking the Nebraska job when he had the chance.

I don't understand why Nutt stays in that madhouse. They are getting to be almost as bad as the Bammers.

He's got to wake up kicking himself everyday for not taking the Nebraska job when he had the chance.

If you read the whole report that was posted online about Nutt's actions, you wouldn't blame the fans, you'd blame Houston and the rest of his staff.

If you read the whole report that was posted online about Nutt's actions, you wouldn't blame the fans, you'd blame Houston and the rest of his staff.

Eggzactly.

"blah, blah, blah" is all i ever hear come out of his mouth. there's some crooked stuff going on in fayettville, and its just a matter of time before it comes out. and when it rains, it pours.

1000 text messages in a six-week period? That's 24 a day. One an hour. You simply cannot tell me that something highly inappropriate wasn't going on here.

This program is college football's equivalent of Chernobyl. The meltdown is coming.

1000 text messages in a six-week period? That's 24 a day. One an hour. You simply cannot tell me that something highly inappropriate wasn't going on here.

This program is college football's equivalent of Chernobyl. The meltdown is coming.

If you figure they were getting 8 hours sleep a day, its a message every 40 minutes over the course of 42 days.

and text messages are fairly rapid fire communications, but I have not used a 1000 in two years much less in six weeks. They must have calloused fingers....maybe it was a ploy on her part *nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more*

Okay, so he was tapping that. This doesn't seem to be anything worthy of so much concern in our neck of the woods. But, I guess we should defer to our Bama brethren on this topic. Coaches gettin' their tap on is really their field of expertise. :big:

Of course, Wimp got his tap AND his slap on.

Ok, point taken, I should have read the whole report first (I still haven't, but will).

Anybody have a pic or know the name of this female newscaster?

Donna Bragg. Think Janet Reno, only taller and uglier.

Just googled her. (Felt pretty good too) That ain't Janet Reno.

Damn internets keep ruining my good jokes.

She aint too tough to look at, I can see why Hooten enjoyed texting her all the time.

She aint too tough to look at, I can see why Hooten enjoyed texting her all the time.

Hootendale: "I did not have textual relations with that woman, Ms. Bragg."

Hootendale: "I did not have textual relations with that woman, Ms. Bragg."

Well, that depends on your definition of text...

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a story on his sit down with the guy that obtained his cell phone records.

ATHT

FAYETTEVILLE -- Arkansas football coach Houston Nutt got a chance Thursday to sit down with an Arkansas fan who created a stir several months ago by obtaining the coach's cell phone records through the Freedom of Information Act.

Nutt, accompanied by his wife Diana and attorney Byron Freeland, met with Thomas McAfee for about an hour Thursday in Little Rock at the office of McAfee's lawyer.

"It was heated at times, that's fair to say," said Nate Coulter, McAfee's attorney. "Basically, the heat was coming, I think, from the other side of the table (Nutt's side) -- not my side. But it was heated."

Nutt had been requesting a meeting with McAfee since the 28-year-old Searcy native obtained the coach's cell phone records earlier this year. McAfee also sent a letter to Arkansas' Board of Trustees, expressing his concern with what he found after going through Nutt's phone records.

Those records were used to put together a 48-page document that suggests Nutt might have had prior knowledge of a disparaging e-mail that Teresa Prewett, a family friend, sent former Arkansas quarterback Mitch Mustain in December.

The document, which has been circulating on Internet message boards with McAfee's name on it, also raises the question of whether Nutt is having an affair with a local TV anchor. McAfee has denied writing the now-infamous document.

Nutt has repeatedly denied the accusations, and he got another chance during the meeting with McAfee to express his opinions.

"I think obviously everybody got a chance to say their peace and express themselves," Coulter said. "Obviously, my client and Byron Freeland's client don't see eye to eye on too many things."

Nutt and Freeland declined to comment as they left Coulter's office. When reached earlier in the day by The Morning News, Freeland refused to offer any more information about the meeting other than it was scheduled for Thursday.

"That's not for public consumption," Freeland said.

Coulter said McAfee wasn't ready to comment Thursday.

Nutt's side did most of the talking during the meeting, according to Coulter. But at one point, McAfee and his attorney asked if they could get the information off Nutt's cell phone to find out the content of his text messages to Prewett.

Coulter said he's not sure whether Thursday's meeting will be the end of the matter, or whether Nutt will seek legal action against McAfee for allegedly making false accusations.

"I understand there is a basis for them to be angry and have their feelings hurt and to be bothered with what was sent to the Board of Trustees," Coulter said. "But I don't believe there is a basis in Arkansas to sue Thomas McAfee."

Through Arkansas' sports information department, Nutt released an open letter to fans April 17, refuting the allegations.

"It is unfortunate that my cell phone records have been combined with unsubstantiated rumors, speculation, and destructive gossip in an effort to create an appearance that the outrageous allegations are somehow based in fact," Nutt wrote in the letter.

I want to know what he told his wife for the insane amount of text messages sent to that reporter.

At a certain point, the "work" excuse can't be used for THAT MANY text messages.

I want to know what he told his wife for the insane amount of text messages sent to that reporter.

At a certain point, the "work" excuse can't be used for THAT MANY text messages.

That would be hard to explain to the wife, a text every 30 minutes for a couple of months good luck with that

Archived