For the record

BamaGrad03

Sincere generosity does not require boasting or defending.

Nor does it require belittling.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have excuses for every loss on the field and in the press. Couldn't be that they were a bunch of hillbilly cheap asses. Had to be the United Way's fault. AMAZING. They're blaming United Way now. Instead of accepting responsibility for their low-class cheapness, they blame United Way for not sending enough buckets. Utterly pathetic.

What's amazing and utterly pathetic is your ranting on something that you've offered no hard facts to back up...other than your brash opinion. I'm certain you have the resources to find out if United Way had enough manpower to cover all the gates. Since you are certain that United Way was more prepared to handle the donations and that it must have been "cheap hillbillies", provide some info that backs that claim up. I'll warn you, when I find it, I'm going to post a clip on Foxnews of a United Way spokesman saying they weren't prepaired for 92,000 people willing to donate. The spokesman said they took up as much as they could at the gates they were at, but simply couldn't put a staff member AND A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER at every gate.

Just once I'd like to see one of the Bama apologists come on here and say something like "I'm thoroughly humiliated by the response our fans gave to the request for donations. Even if there were only two buckets, enough people were there that there's no reason for there to be just $38,000 in there. It's disgraceful."

But no. Instead we get:

Weren't enough buckets: United Way's fault

Buckets weren't in places we could see them, we WANTED to contribute and couldn't find anybody to give it to.

You'd like to see one of the Bama apologists come on here and say "I'm thoroughly humiliated by the response our fans gave to the request for donations. Even if there were only two buckets, enough people were there that there's no reason for there to be just $38,000 in there. It's disgraceful." because it fits your stereotype of Bama fans, not because you want the truth.

For the record, I did put blame on the University for not opening up admissions and charging. I'm certain that went unnoticed as well because again, that doesn't meet your stereotype for Bama fans.

Living near Tuscaloosa must be getting rough. I don't remember you being this pissy.

It's not pissy, it's an easy layup. What happened that day was disgraceful in more ways than I can count, the palty donations are only a minor part of it.

Dude, even if they only had somebody at every other gate and just one or two people patrolling the lower decks -- which they certainly at minimum did -- the amount collected is pitiful. There's not much you can say or do to refute that. Even if only 1/3 of the people in the stadium ever saw a donation bucket, that's STILL just around $1 each. It's STILL less than the cost of half a cup of coke. Still less than a can of dip. Still less than a pack of Basics. But you know more than 1/3 of the people there were in the vicinity of a place to donate. If you're pleased with that and want to defend it, that's your option.

Guest BoStillKnows

If you're not boasting, there is no belittling. Let someone else realize what is done and pat you on the back as opposed to patting yourself on the back.

It's not pissy, it's an easy layup. What happened that day was disgraceful in more ways than I can count, the palty donations are only a minor part of it.

Dude, even if they only had somebody at every other gate and just one or two people patrolling the lower decks -- which they certainly at minimum did -- the amount collected is pitiful. There's not much you can say or do to refute that. Even if only 1/3 of the people in the stadium ever saw a donation bucket, that's STILL just around $1 each. It's STILL less than the cost of half a cup of coke. Still less than a can of dip. Still less than a pack of Basics. But you know more than 1/3 of the people there were in the vicinity of a place to donate. If you're pleased with that and want to defend it, that's your option.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p...D=2007704200346

May 4, 2007

ALABAMA SPRING FOOTBALL REPORT: Enterprise benefit set for A-Day

By Tim Gayle

Montgomery Advertiser

Nick Saban isn't familiar with Enterprise, but he's all too familiar with the pain and suffering caused by a tornado that destroyed part of the town and killed nine people on March 1.

The Alabama football coach knew hard times growing up in West Virginia and watched friends deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina two years ago. And he knew enough about the popularity of Crimson Tide football to understand he could make a difference in people's lives.

Admission to Saturday's A-Day game at Bryant-Denny Stadium is free, but Saban is asking Alabama fans to donate to one of 38 stations throughout the stadium set up by the United Way of West Alabama dedicated to the Enterprise Tornado Relief Fund.

"Terry and I like to give back as much as we can," Saban said, referring to his wife. "We actually did something like this, she did something like this, at Miami at our game after Katrina for the people in Louisiana which the Dolphins cooperated with.

"I think having compassion for other people in the circumstances and situation they're in is certainly something we hope our fans are interested in contributing to. As an institution we can do something to try to be helpful to that community."

Alabama athletic director Mal Moore announced the project on March 20.

"Shortly after hearing of the tornado, coach Saban approached me about creating an opportunity to directly help those victimized by the tragedy," Moore said. "I thought it was a wonderful idea and something I feel we are uniquely able to do with such a major event coming soon to our campus."

Saban has not discussed the project with his players, but the upperclassmen are familiar with the efforts of former Alabama linebacker DeMeco Ryans and his teammates, who talked all of the players into contributing their NCAA-provided stipend to victims of Katrina who were sheltered at the university's Student Recreation Center for several weeks after the 2005 hurricane destroyed New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

"We helped out when Katrina happened," Alabama defensive lineman Bobby Greenwood said. "We (Prattville) played Enterprise a couple of times in high school and I know a few people down there. (The news about the tornado) just blew me away. I've got family there (in nearby Andalusia). That could have happened anywhere."

"It's a great idea," offensive lineman Justin Britt said. "There's going to be a lot of people coming to town and a lot of people can definitely help out."

Gates to the stadium open at 11 a.m. and donation stations will accept contributions until kickoff at 1 p.m. Those wishing to donate via personal check should make checks payable to United Way of West Alabama and designate them for the Enterprise Tornado Relief Fund. All funds raised will go directly to those in need of assistance. No costs of any kind will be deducted from the money raised.

The United Way and the Civinettes youth community service organization will join with Terry Saban and the wives of several Alabama assistant coaches in collecting the funds on Saturday.

The tornado that caused heavy damage to Enterprise High School and killed eight students on March 1 also damaged 1,447 homes, destroying 248 and leaving 379 uninhabitable. A total of 121 people were hospitalized with tornado-related injuries and damage estimates from the storm are estimated at $330 million.

As far as I could see, no one was patroling the crowd. Neither the North Upperdeck OR the East Upperdeck were opened until AFTER kickoff. According to this paper, they weren't taking donations after kickoff, so no one in the east upperdeck or north upperdeck had a chance to donate. Cheap hillbillies.

Did some people pass by the donation stations without dropping a penny? Certainly. That still isn't enough evidence to come to a logical conclusion that "Bama only took up 38,000 dollars because they are a bunch of cheap hillbillies". That doesn't account for gates unmanned. That doesn't account for people still coming in AFTER kickoff. That doesn't account for the number of children in the crowd that have no money to donate......but hey, who cares about facts? As long as we can find something to run Bama down for. That is the object here.

If you're not boasting, there is no belittling. Let someone else realize what is done and pat you on the back as opposed to patting yourself on the back.

So then boasting makes it alright to belittle? For the record, the belittling took place way before I even seen this thread to make my post. I only attempted to show the flawed reasoning in the belittling.

As far as I could see, no one was patroling the crowd. Neither the North Upperdeck OR the East Upperdeck were opened until AFTER kickoff. According to this paper, they weren't taking donations after kickoff, so no one in the east upperdeck or north upperdeck had a chance to donate. Cheap hillbillies.

Did some people pass by the donation stations without dropping a penny? Certainly. That still isn't enough evidence to come to a logical conclusion that "Bama only took up 38,000 dollars because they are a bunch of cheap hillbillies". That doesn't account for gates unmanned. That doesn't account for people still coming in AFTER kickoff. That doesn't account for the number of children in the crowd that have no money to donate......but hey, who cares about facts? As long as we can find something to run Bama down for. That is the object here.

Excuses

Justifications

Rationalizations

I'm sorry your fanbase is composed primarily of cheap ass hillbillies. That's the only conculsion that can be drawn. I know why they were unable to donate. They were saving money for beer at Talladega in case Jeff Gordon won. Good thing they saved up.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p...D=2007704200346

May 4, 2007

ALABAMA SPRING FOOTBALL REPORT: Enterprise benefit set for A-Day

By Tim Gayle

Montgomery Advertiser

Nick Saban isn't familiar with Enterprise, but he's all too familiar with the pain and suffering caused by a tornado that destroyed part of the town and killed nine people on March 1.

The Alabama football coach knew hard times growing up in West Virginia and watched friends deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina two years ago. And he knew enough about the popularity of Crimson Tide football to understand he could make a difference in people's lives.

Admission to Saturday's A-Day game at Bryant-Denny Stadium is free, but Saban is asking Alabama fans to donate to one of 38 stations throughout the stadium set up by the United Way of West Alabama dedicated to the Enterprise Tornado Relief Fund.

"Terry and I like to give back as much as we can," Saban said, referring to his wife. "We actually did something like this, she did something like this, at Miami at our game after Katrina for the people in Louisiana which the Dolphins cooperated with.

"I think having compassion for other people in the circumstances and situation they're in is certainly something we hope our fans are interested in contributing to. As an institution we can do something to try to be helpful to that community."

Alabama athletic director Mal Moore announced the project on March 20.

"Shortly after hearing of the tornado, coach Saban approached me about creating an opportunity to directly help those victimized by the tragedy," Moore said. "I thought it was a wonderful idea and something I feel we are uniquely able to do with such a major event coming soon to our campus."

Saban has not discussed the project with his players, but the upperclassmen are familiar with the efforts of former Alabama linebacker DeMeco Ryans and his teammates, who talked all of the players into contributing their NCAA-provided stipend to victims of Katrina who were sheltered at the university's Student Recreation Center for several weeks after the 2005 hurricane destroyed New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

"We helped out when Katrina happened," Alabama defensive lineman Bobby Greenwood said. "We (Prattville) played Enterprise a couple of times in high school and I know a few people down there. (The news about the tornado) just blew me away. I've got family there (in nearby Andalusia). That could have happened anywhere."

"It's a great idea," offensive lineman Justin Britt said. "There's going to be a lot of people coming to town and a lot of people can definitely help out."

Gates to the stadium open at 11 a.m. and donation stations will accept contributions until kickoff at 1 p.m. Those wishing to donate via personal check should make checks payable to United Way of West Alabama and designate them for the Enterprise Tornado Relief Fund. All funds raised will go directly to those in need of assistance. No costs of any kind will be deducted from the money raised.

The United Way and the Civinettes youth community service organization will join with Terry Saban and the wives of several Alabama assistant coaches in collecting the funds on Saturday.

The tornado that caused heavy damage to Enterprise High School and killed eight students on March 1 also damaged 1,447 homes, destroying 248 and leaving 379 uninhabitable. A total of 121 people were hospitalized with tornado-related injuries and damage estimates from the storm are estimated at $330 million.

So even if you admit that upper decks didn't get to donate, thats still 30K plus that donated. For the same folks that pony up $50 for a game against FIU, and pay $2.50 a gallon for gas donate a dollar a piece. My high school baseball team managed to get get $5K. So you are telling me a rural high school baseball game should collect rougly 1/8 the money at the all time greatest turn out for a spring football game. It's applauded that you raised money, but I wouldn't exactly boast about your turn out. I think you should check with United Way and find out who routinely gives more. Auburn or Alabama's campus? We routinely whip that @ss in food drives, we held a record for most blood donated in one day at one time. I'd be interested how much a sacrifice ol' Nicky gave out of his precious salary to the people of Enterprise. Or how much tax money is diverted because the state is helping to support a school that finds it neccesary to set a new mark for ridiculousness in coach's salaries. To whom much is given, much is required.... I'd be willing to bet more than 38K worth of alcohol was purchased on that saturday....

Excuses

Justifications

Rationalizations

I'm sorry your fanbase is composed primarily of cheap ass hillbillies. That's the only conculsion that can be drawn. I know why they were unable to donate. They were saving money for beer at Talladega in case Jeff Gordon won. Good thing they saved up.

I'm not sure which one you are better at. Sweeping generalizations, or witty comments.

My high school baseball team managed to get get $5K. So you are telling me a rural high school baseball game should collect rougly 1/8 the money at the all time greatest turn out for a spring football game.

That's wonderful that you guys were able to raise that amount of money.
It's applauded that you raised money, but I wouldn't exactly boast about your turn out. .

I have not boasted about the turnout yet. I've simply tried to point out flawed logic as to WHY only 38,000 was taken up. Not once have I mentioned that Bama is better than Auburn OR how much money I donated.

I think you should check with United Way and find out who routinely gives more. Auburn or Alabama's campus? We routinely whip that @ss in food drives, we held a record for most blood donated in one day at one time.

Again, this is not the argument I'm making. This is the argument you are pulling out of thin air. Not once have a made any generalized statement that Bama does more than Auburn.
Or how much tax money is diverted because the state is helping to support a school that finds it neccesary to set a new mark for ridiculousness in coach's salaries.
Research it. You won't like the findings though, because I'm sure you are one of those that thinks the state is paying for Saban's contract.
I'd be willing to bet more than 38K worth of alcohol was purchased on that saturday....
Another stereotype? Man, you guys are good at that.

I'm not sure which one you are better at. Sweeping generalizations, or witty comments.

It's a tie.

I don't know, the witty comments seem to be a step ahead.

There were 38 donation locations. BDS has 40 gates. So yeah, conceivably there were some people that probably didn't even see the drop boxes. Assuming equal neck distribution at all gates, the approximate number who didn't properly get a chance to doante is: 92,000/40 x 2 = 4,600. That's about 5% of the crowd. Who knew that 5% would've donated the most had they known of the chance? Bummer.

Anytime I'm with my kids and we pass by a legit donation box, I always make a point to let my kids put the money in the box. Training 'em right/teaching opportunity & stuff ... ...

Guest BoStillKnows
So then boasting makes it alright to belittle? For the record, the belittling took place way before I even seen this thread to make my post. I only attempted to show the flawed reasoning in the belittling.

You miss the point enitrely.

There were 38 donation locations. BDS has 40 gates. So yeah, conceivably there were some people that probably didn't even see the drop boxes. Assuming equal neck distribution at all gates, the approximate number who didn't properly get a chance to doante is: 92,000/40 x 2 = 4,600. That's about 5% of the crowd. Who knew that 5% would've donated the most had they known of the chance? Bummer.

Your numbers are flawed. The stadium did not reach maximum capacity until midway through the second quarter. The North and East upperdecks were not opened until after kickoff. The collections stopped at kickoff. That's 13,695 seats in the east deck, and 8320 seats in the north deck. That means 22,015 people were not able to donate, not 4600.

I'm not asking you guys to praise Bama for donations. I'm only asking for logical conclusions. Since it's more than obvious that you guys are just going to pull arguments and fabricated numbers out of the air regardless of the facts, there's no point in continuing from my standpoint.

Good luck this fall.

There's no point in continuing from my standpoint.

Could it be because every time you try to craft a defense, you realize even more that you have no standing?

Let's assume that your 22,000 argument holds. That's STILL 70,000 + who were confronted with a donation box. Most still opted for a second half-full cup of coke, another dog, some popcorn or their pocket.

My high school baseball team managed to get get $5K. So you are telling me a rural high school baseball game should collect rougly 1/8 the money at the all time greatest turn out for a spring football game.

That's wonderful that you guys were able to raise that amount of money.
It's applauded that you raised money, but I wouldn't exactly boast about your turn out. .

I have not boasted about the turnout yet. I've simply tried to point out flawed logic as to WHY only 38,000 was taken up. Not once have I mentioned that Bama is better than Auburn OR how much money I donated.

I think you should check with United Way and find out who routinely gives more. Auburn or Alabama's campus? We routinely whip that @ss in food drives, we held a record for most blood donated in one day at one time.

Again, this is not the argument I'm making. This is the argument you are pulling out of thin air. Not once have a made any generalized statement that Bama does more than Auburn.
Or how much tax money is diverted because the state is helping to support a school that finds it neccesary to set a new mark for ridiculousness in coach's salaries.
Research it. You won't like the findings though, because I'm sure you are one of those that thinks the state is paying for Saban's contract.
I'd be willing to bet more than 38K worth of alcohol was purchased on that saturday....
Another stereotype? Man, you guys are good at that.

I hope you are truly not as naive to believe that the state doesn't indirectly fund Saban's contract. Alabama is a state school and is supported largely in part by state tax payers. . For those athletic depts that are fortunate enough to run in the black, which are few and far between, yes, you could more easily justify the money, although its still a stretch. But I doubt Alabama is completely in the black, with the construction needs of athletic facilities, which much to your surprise, come out of university general funds and not out of atheletic dept budgets. If the university was not paying into Saban's coffers, it might could donate money back into the school's general fund and offset costs in the true role of a university, educating young men and men to become productive and contributing members of society. That would be money that the state gives that could be diverted elsewhere. Sorry, but the fiscal irresponsiblity of the University of Alabama board is a pet peeve of mine. UAB, under the same system is losing world class doctors and researchers to other medical programs because of better funding and facilities, we have the school down the road paying one coach millions to leave, and another even more millions to come. Not to mention sabotaging the entire Jimbo Fisher to UAB deal. The alcohol comment wasn't a stereotype, just a point about priorities. I would be willing to bet more would be spent in Auburn as well. Its a shame we spend more scarring our livers than we can helping those in need.

Saying the state isn't paying for Saban is like saying you're not paying for a car because your wife has a job and she pays it out of her salary. You can spin it however you like, but the fact that you have to defend your coach's salary and who pays it should be shame enough.

I hope you are truly not as naive to believe that the state doesn't indirectly fund Saban's contract. Alabama is a state school and is supported largely in part by state tax payers. . For those athletic depts that are fortunate enough to run in the black, which are few and far between, yes, you could more easily justify the money, although its still a stretch. But I doubt Alabama is completely in the black, with the construction needs of athletic facilities, which much to your surprise, come out of university general funds and not out of atheletic dept budgets. If the university was not paying into Saban's coffers, it might could donate money back into the school's general fund and offset costs in the true role of a university, educating young men and men to become productive and contributing members of society. That would be money that the state gives that could be diverted elsewhere. Sorry, but the fiscal irresponsiblity of the University of Alabama board is a pet peeve of mine. UAB, under the same system is losing world class doctors and researchers to other medical programs because of better funding and facilities, we have the school down the road paying one coach millions to leave, and another even more millions to come. Not to mention sabotaging the entire Jimbo Fisher to UAB deal. The alcohol comment wasn't a stereotype, just a point about priorities. I would be willing to bet more would be spent in Auburn as well. Its a shame we spend more scarring our livers than we can helping those in need.

Saying the state isn't paying for Saban is like saying you're not paying for a car because your wife has a job and she pays it out of her salary. You can spin it however you like, but the fact that you have to defend your coach's salary and who pays it should be shame enough.

Excellent point. :thumbsup:

Irrefutable. Wish I had said it first.

Sounds like enough to me even if I believe your version of the event. Two 1 gallon buckets at each entrance = effectively about 1.75 gallons of collecting capacity at each gate at all times. Wow.

I can see by this response that you either didn't read the entire post, or your reading comprehension is lacking.

PS: Did you know that some money fold and doesn't jingle. That kind weighs less too.
What exactly does this have to do with any part of the discussion?

That's all you got? You would be better suited to not respond to a post if all you do is weaken your position. You cannot refute anything I said because it is too logical.

I'm sorry you couldn't comprehend the latter portion of my message. I will break it down for you: You said not enough bucket because big heavy money. I said money can be paper and light. Bucket size not limiting factor. Limiting factor is cheap redneck trash fans.

PS: You keep saying you didn't have enough law enforcement to guard these buckets. Why do you need so much protection over a few hundred dollars in a bucket. Are your fans that pathetic that they would steal that little and from a charity?! I guess that is what you are saying especially since, according to you, each collection point required "two collectors holding one gallon buckets and two police officers at each gate taking up donations". Was one officer not enough to guard less money than many carry on their person at all times? Sounds like yall have a lot of problems up there, by your own admission. Give up. You can't win. Call a spade a spade and be done with it.

so i guess what we now know, is pretty much anyone on this board that did not donate or contribute in some way is a display of their pitiful hillbilly charity as GG put it. you're now all on notice. if you didnt donate you're hillbillies.

and as for the story about the 52 student atheletes demolishing 2 houses in enterprise, well good for them....but its not enough! if folks here can say that $38,000 was not enough and its shameful then why cant fans from other schools say "wow, all auburn did was send some people to tear down 2 houses?" i applaud those guys for doing that, and i think its wonderful that auburn sent them. its a true show of character definitely. but now do you see where i'm going? like i said before, it doesn't matter how small it is, or what the contribution is. its still doing something. its doing something to help. even if its sending a loaf of bread to some family with nothing. thats something to them. and none of you here, not even GG has the right to judge what is "enough" and what isn't. so, what amount would have been adequate to everyone here? since apparently everyone here is judge, jury, executioner. what amount would have been "enough" to make a difference, since apparently $38,000 is absolutely nothing. someone, anyone, give me the magical dollar amount that would have been sufficient to appease the auburn fanbase. this whole thing didn't get brought up until some folks started making fun of the $38,000....its not like we came here plastering it all in everyone's faces (if BP did don't hold it against me because i try to ignore him anyways....no clue what he might have said. we don't claim him anyways.). yall are the ones that brought it up, then get all upset when we ask....well if we were so terrible for raising $38k, then what are yall for raising zero? thats where that came from.

so i guess what we now know, is pretty much anyone on this board that did not donate or contribute in some way is a display of their pitiful hillbilly charity as GG put it. you're now all on notice. if you didnt donate you're hillbillies.

and as for the story about the 52 student atheletes demolishing 2 houses in enterprise, well good for them....but its not enough! if folks here can say that $38,000 was not enough and its shameful then why cant fans from other schools say "wow, all auburn did was send some people to tear down 2 houses?" i applaud those guys for doing that, and i think its wonderful that auburn sent them. its a true show of character definitely. but now do you see where i'm going? like i said before, it doesn't matter how small it is, or what the contribution is. its still doing something. its doing something to help. even if its sending a loaf of bread to some family with nothing. thats something to them. and none of you here, not even GG has the right to judge what is "enough" and what isn't. so, what amount would have been adequate to everyone here? since apparently everyone here is judge, jury, executioner. what amount would have been "enough" to make a difference, since apparently $38,000 is absolutely nothing. someone, anyone, give me the magical dollar amount that would have been sufficient to appease the auburn fanbase. this whole thing didn't get brought up until some folks started making fun of the $38,000....its not like we came here plastering it all in everyone's faces (if BP did don't hold it against me because i try to ignore him anyways....no clue what he might have said. we don't claim him anyways.). yall are the ones that brought it up, then get all upset when we ask....well if we were so terrible for raising $38k, then what are yall for raising zero? thats where that came from.

And again you argue a point that isn't in question.

... and none of you here, not even GG has the right to judge what is "enough" and what isn't. so, what amount would have been adequate to everyone here? since apparently everyone here is judge, jury, executioner. what amount would have been "enough" to make a difference, since apparently $38,000 is absolutely nothing. someone, anyone, give me the magical dollar amount that would have been sufficient to appease the auburn fanbase. ...

pal·try Show Spelled Pronunciation[pawl-tree] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective, -tri·er, -tri·est.

1. ridiculously or insultingly small: a paltry sum.

2. utterly worthless.

3. mean or contemptible: a paltry coward.

I will answer your question: with a crowd of that size, I would have expected at least $100k to be raised -- a $1 per capita, as a minimum. Especially ... when the price of the ticket to get in the stadium coud not have been any lower. I don't know about you, but I was raised by my parents that freeloading is a contemptible thing. There is no free lunch -- ever. For example, whenever I go to a museum that doesn't charge admission I always feel it's my obligation to donate something, anything.

Were you not shocked at how little was raised by 92K fans that paid absolutely nothing to get in? I don't know if you noticed or not, but $aban hasn't exactly been chatty with the press. When he speaks, I would imagine the bammie fans would hang on every one of his words like he was the Bear reincarnated. $aban took time out from his absolute devotion to coaching the uat team to speak about the charity drive in Katrina terms before the game. Surely the greater bammie nation read it for themselves? Or, at least heard about it from the literate ones? I'm sure the folks in Enterprise appreciate any help they receive. That's never been in question. $38k is a sizable sum and will help alleviate some of the financial burden. That's never been in question, either. But if you think 92k bammie fans attending their spring game deserve atta-boys for donating such a paltry sum that amounts to an average of $0.41 per "fan" then hey, more power to ya. I would feel embarrassed & ashamed.

... and none of you here, not even GG has the right to judge what is "enough" and what isn't. so, what amount would have been adequate to everyone here? since apparently everyone here is judge, jury, executioner. what amount would have been "enough" to make a difference, since apparently $38,000 is absolutely nothing. someone, anyone, give me the magical dollar amount that would have been sufficient to appease the auburn fanbase. ...

pal·try Show Spelled Pronunciation[pawl-tree] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective, -tri·er, -tri·est.

1. ridiculously or insultingly small: a paltry sum.

2. utterly worthless.

3. mean or contemptible: a paltry coward.

I will answer your question: with a crowd of that size, I would have expected at least $100k to be raised -- a $1 per capita, as a minimum. Especially ... when the price of the ticket to get in the stadium coud not have been any lower. I don't know about you, but I was raised by my parents that freeloading is a contemptible thing. There is no free lunch -- ever. For example, whenever I go to a museum that doesn't charge admission I always feel it's my obligation to donate something, anything.

Were you not shocked at how little was raised by 92K fans that paid absolutely nothing to get in? I don't know if you noticed or not, but $aban hasn't exactly been chatty with the press. When he speaks, I would imagine the bammie fans would hang on every one of his words like he was the Bear reincarnated. $aban took time out from his absolute devotion to coaching the uat team to speak about the charity drive in Katrina terms before the game. Surely the greater bammie nation read it for themselves? Or, at least heard about it from the literate ones? I'm sure the folks in Enterprise appreciate any help they receive. That's never been in question. $38k is a sizable sum and will help alleviate some of the financial burden. That's never been in question, either. But if you think 92k bammie fans attending their spring game deserve atta-boys for donating such a paltry sum that amounts to an average of $0.41 per "fan" then hey, more power to ya. I would feel embarrassed & ashamed.

i even said it earlier in this thread or in the original thread, i can't remember which, i wished that more money would have been raised also. i'm the same way as you about donating things, because i'm heavily into volunteer organizations. my point is simply nobody here, not you nor i has the right to judge.

no, i just pretty much busted your whole point and you just have nothing to refute what i said.

no, i just pretty much busted your whole point and you just have nothing to refute what i said.

Are you being purposely obtuse? You argue points that are not in question. You busted nothing and offered nothing that required "refute".

First, what Auburn did or did not contribute has no bearing on what Alabama's fans failed to do. Auburn didn't hype or promote a big donation rally for Enterprise at it's spring game. Should it have? That's not the question at all. This isn't a comparison between Alabama and Auburn. It's a simple discussion of what occurred (or actually DIDN'T occur) at a UA event. Trying to bring what individual Auburn fans may have donated or what Auburn teams may or may not have done is merely an attempt (and a pitiful one) to divert attention from your shame.

Here's what we know:

92,318 hillbillies showed up at an event where donations were encouraged. Of that 92,318 wildly speculative estimates are that as many as 22,000 were unable to find the donation areas. Okay, 70,000 walked by. Extending it further it can be rationally assumed that some of the 70,000 may have been children. Let's make the extremely generous assumption that half of them were children. Now you've got 35,000 adult hillbillies parading past donation stands. They're on their way to purchase $5 cokes, $20 houndstooth bourbon cozies, $3 shakers and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, and these 35,000 cracker a**holes (thanks, Donald Fagen) managed to pony up just over a buck each. Wow.

Archived