Has Jimmy Carter gone off the deep end?

Tigermike

The better question might be has he ever not been off the deep end.

Carter's Nutzpah

INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY

Posted 6/19/2007

Democracy: Has Jimmy Carter gone off the deep end? He's now scolding the West for refusing to bankroll Hamas terrorists who've just seized power at gunpoint in Gaza. It's a new low in coddling terrorism.

As the Gaza Strip flamed into Hamas gang warfare and the West Bank slid into another civil war, Carter — cozy in distant Ireland accepting another "human rights" award — found cause Tuesday to blame America first for all the violence.

Amid wine, cheese and good feeling, America's worst ex-president drew a bead on the West. The refusal by the U.S., Israel and the EU to support Hamas, an armed terror group that just launched a coup d'etat and civil war in full view of the world, was nothing but a "criminal" act at the root of the trouble there, Carter asserted.

"The United States and Israel decided to punish all the people in Palestine and did everything they could to deter a compromise between Hamas and Fatah," he said.

The statement was so malevolent and illogical as to border on insane. Carter wasn't honest enough to say he was rooting for terrorists who started a terrifying new war in the region and trashed what little democratic rule the Palestinians had. Instead, he tut-tutted the West for being insufficiently sensitive to the fact that Hamas thugs were democratically elected in 2006 in an "orderly and fair" vote.

When one party has started a civil war, democracy isn't exactly the issue anymore. Just being elected does not justify making warfare on your fellow citizens. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice repeatedly points out that those who are elected democratically have an obligation to govern democratically or they aren't democrats. Hamas has blown its right to democracy.

Carter also misstated and distorted technical aspects of democratic rule in the Palestinian Authority itself, further calling into question his intentions. Hamas' 42% plurality in the last parliamentary election gave the terror group a right to participate in government, but not absolute power.

Carter neglected to notice that President Mahmoud Abbas, Palestine's head of state, not only had a full democratic right to appoint Hamas members to his Cabinet, but he also had the right to dismiss them as he did Thursday. Carter's selective respect for the power-sharing aspect of Palestine's democracy stands out as significantly skewed toward Hamas.

Crazier still, Carter insisted Hamas was entitled to American aid because Fatah had been getting it. But he left out some details: Hamas is a terrorist organization that had broken six previous cease-fires, and its campaign platform vowed to destroy Israel. Hamas would gladly take Western cash to make good on that campaign promise to voters.

No one in the West is obligated to support an international terrorist organization just because it "won" an election. The proper response is to cut it off until it renounces violence.

For refusing to fund Hamas but propping up the slightly less unworthy Fatah, Carter charged the U.S. with trying to "divide the Palestinians into two peoples."

With such words, Carter can hardly be called a peacemaker. In fact, he should have been profoundly ashamed at his acceptance of his Nobel Prize. Ironically, his partner in peace, Yasser Arafat, got his stolen and desecrated by the very Hamas Carter defends. That ought to give him pause as he defends terrorists as democrats.

link

Why doesn't he just come out and either admit he is anti-Semitic or announce that he has Alzheimers? What a disgrace to past presidents and the current administration and our country. After all he went through with Iran, he has the guts to support another group that given the chance would do the same damn thing to us? What a freak...

Remember, it's his views which got him the Nobel Peace Prize. ( Shows what that's worth now, anyway )

Jenny, I really think Carter is truly anti-Semitic. I dont have clue as to his mindest, but he gives every indication of being that way.

The guy is a disgrace, he was true democrat back before the republican party flipped. What used the be the old democrats now are the Republicans he got lost along the way. Shut up and go play shuffle board with Tony Sopranos mom at the retirement home. Reagan stepped out the light when he got crazy. Michael Moore made Charleton Heston look like a dipshi? in his movie but he won't touch Jimmy, cause his heart bleed for all the Gays, Lefties, Treehuggers, Union, minority and all else that will listen to his tired old words.

I'm sorry folks but our national security has nothing to do with Israel. If Israel is protected by God, then we have no business interfering with the will of God. According to the Old Testament God is protecting Israel, not the US. I'm sick of giving away my sweat and money to a country that has no significance in the future of this country. It's time to cut off all foreign aid, especially Israel.

I'm sorry folks but our national security has nothing to do with Israel. If Israel is protected by God, then we have no business interfering with the will of God. According to the Old Testament God is protecting Israel, not the US. I'm sick of giving away my sweat and money to a country that has no significance in the future of this country. It's time to cut off all foreign aid, especially Israel.

Wow BF, I guess those people mwe freed in Europe in WWII were just incosequential as well? Great show of grace and mercy there. If they arent involved with us financially, then to hell with them. Those being slaughtered in Darfur, to hell with them too. Rwanda, screw em. How about acting just out of human decency to protect a free democratic nation from genocide?

People like you scare me. People like you are the ones that let Hitler get away with his assault on humans.

Remember, this is the guy who also overlooked wholesale, flagrant election fraud in Venezuela and declared Chavez the winner. Unspeakably naive. It really amazes me that he is still a respected elder statesman of the Democratic party establishment. He should be treated as a pariah, in my opinion.

That is an extremely blind point of view. Maybe this IS God's will. If you truely belive that point of view, then everything that is on-going is truely God's will. Did you ever think of that? Remember, He acts in mysterious ways.

Has Jimmy Carter gone off the deep end?

Have I seen this thread before? It's like deja-vous all over again!

In fact, I would take issue with the name of this thread. It assumes that Jimmy Carter was ever NOT off the deep end.

Yeah but I would get in trouble if I had used the title Jimmy Carter is F___ING CRAZY and has gone off the deep end! <_<

Archived