Obama says: Christian Right Has 'Hijacked' Faith...

Tigermike

First you started with "the links don't jive", but they do.

Now you say "Your questions are based on your unexplained assertion that the church is "racist". To answer your question, I need to understand what you are basing that on."

I based it on information on their website. Which it appears was just too much for you to follow.

Here it is again and I am typing real slow for you.

All of these links (and the link in the original post) go to the church's website, I didn't make any of it up. I first read his statement (somewhere on the web and I am not sure where). Then I did a little search and came up with the information that Obama attended the church linked here.

It all seemed a little odd for Obama to make the statement he did when the church he attends has the philosophy/agenda it does. When the rubber meets the road, we all look at things the way we do things. On a personal note I wouldn't attend a church that espoused an obvious racists agenda. And I would think it a little bit important to know if a presidential candidate did as well. No matter what party he/she was affiliated with. If it's no big deal say so and we will move on. I just thought it was interesting. When these people R & D are running for the highest office in the land it does not hurt to know as much as possible about them and not just what they and the media want you to know.

Here is an easy question for you. After looking at the info from their web site do you consider it Afrocentric, biased or racists in any way?

The Church (UCC) is not any of those things. It is one of the most tolerant, open, welcoming churches in America. The motto of the United Church of Christ comes from John 17:21: "That they may all be one."

This particular congregation does not strike me as biased, or racist, but it is Afro-centric, just as many other Churches are Eurocentric. Southern Baptists, approach Christianity from a White Southern cultural perspective-- they don't say that explicitly on their website, and may not even think of it in those terms-- but they do.

Obama's congregation serves an inner-city community which has more men in prison than college, and a large percentage of children born out-of-wedlock and without their fathers in their lives. It strikes me that any Christian church needs to strive to be relevant to the community it serves. I haven't seen any evidence that their message or direction is not "Christian" or scriptural. And I certainly haven't seen any evidence that it is anti-white, exclusionary or unwelcoming. I don't sense that I would be unwelcomed there. But, it's primary focus is on serving the needs of its immediate community.

What I find on the webisite at the link you post is this:

The Pastor as well as the membership of Trinity United Church of Christ is committed to a 10-point Vision:

1. A congregation committed to ADORATION.

2. A congregation preaching SALVATION.

3. A congregation actively seeking RECONCILIATION.

4. A congregation with a non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO AFRICA.

5. A congregation committed to BIBLICAL EDUCATION.

6. A congregation committed to CULTURAL EDUCATION.

7. A congregation committed to the HISTORICAL EDUCATION OF AFRICAN PEOPLE IN DIASPORA.

8. A congregation committed to LIBERATION.

9. A congregation committed to RESTORATION.

10. A congregation working towards ECONOMIC PARITY.

I don't see a problem with those things.

Archived