Teixeira to the Braves

Justin5

Sounds like the Braves have pulled the trigger to get Georgia Tech graduate Mark Teixeira. Rumored in the deal is Salty and two other prospects being sent to the rangers - in addition to that, the rangers will pay a major portion of Teixeira's contract this year.

I think with McCann in place already Salty was bound to be traded and 1B was the obvious weakness on the team, so a good move for both teams.

Thoughts?

Haven't seen that yet.

Nothing on MLB.com, or Atlbraves.com.....

Would be a good move, although my fiance loves Salty...she'll be disappointed. :rolleyes:

Tell your fiance to quit fantacizing. The Chop should be all the man she needs. Right?

I like the move if it comes off. The Braves have a lot of young talent but they need another experienced stick in the lineup. Now go get another starter and we'll start getting excited about a penant. (Which is really all the Braves play for anyway.)

Is Teixeira a free agent next season? If so, what are the Braves chances of resigning him?

He is a free agent AFTER next season. I think the plan is don't resign Andruw this year and use the extra cash to sign Teixeira long term.

And yes, this is still mostly rumors but everything points to it coming down to the Braves or Angels.

I love Schuerholz but honestly this sounds like such a stupid trade to me. Sure Teixeira would be a great addition right now seeing as how we get no production out of our first basemen but in the long run this isn't going to help us.

Teixeira isn't exactly young and while his numbers are certainly good, they aren't fantastic. The Braves would be stupid to sign him for a big contract at the end of next season (should he even still be around then) Salty has untapped potential right now and can definitely learn to play first.

I say if you're going to trade Salty or Escobar (or I've even heard talk of trading Elvis Andrus) do it for a big time left hander to put in the pen or a solid 5th starter and another prospect.

...and its done.

Lineup of:

1. Harris

2. Renteria

3. Chipper

4. Teixeira

5. Andruw

6. McCann

7. Francoeur

8. Kelly Johnson

Looks solid to me. Plus they got a quality lefty arm for the pen.

Newest Rumor also has Atlanta getting Dotel.

I

It looks like the Braves gave up a lot to get Texiera.

hate

I think it will help the Braves in the run this year but not sure what it will do for the future.

the

Also, MLB.com article had this to say, "With Scott Boras serving as his agent, it seems unlikely that the Braves will be able to sign Teixeira to a long-term deal before the conclusion of the 2008 season."

Braves

I'm not a fan of the Braves either, but it has nothing to do with their success. It has everything to do with the people at Auburn who decided to roll Toomers after the 1992 NLCS and the 1993 comeback.

I'm not a fan of the Braves either, but it has nothing to do with their success. It has everything to do with the people at Auburn who decided to roll Toomers after the 1992 NLCS and the 1993 comeback.

Wow, I never heard about that. That is a reason to hate the Braves. Toomers is for Auburn, and Auburn only.

I'm wondering if this is a little late, the Braves are treading water and the freaking Phillies are ahead of them in the standings.

I

hate

successful

teams

(where 90% of the fans are spoiled and don't really care about the team and don't really keep up with the club but look at the box score the next morning to bitch if the club lost or brag if the club won and where the stadium is only half full for most games and in the play offs 75% full and it sounds like you are at a golf match in the stadium except when they play that stupid war chant which they stole from Florida St. some time around 1995.

Fixed that for you.

Hater.

How did you know?

Referencing your other comment, count me in the 10%. I've watched the Braves since the late 70s when they sucked big time. We got a brief respite in 1982, then sucked for 9 more years before this golden era began.

How much longer do you guys see Cox managing? He's one of about 4 guys managing that is a shoe in for the HoF.

tex showed up about midway through the game tonight and the braves tagged 4 runs to celebrate his arrival....looks like the fire is started in ATL...should be a fun 2nd half for braves fans....rough night for an astro fan though :(

Tex supposedly turned down $160M over 8 years from the Rangers a couple of weeks ago before they decided to see what they could get for him. I am not sure if he just wanted out of Texas or not...but...how the hell do you turn down a garunteed $160 MMILLION dollars? That just blows my mind...

Tex supposedly turned down $160M over 8 years from the Rangers a couple of weeks ago before they decided to see what they could get for him. I am not sure if he just wanted out of Texas or not...but...how the hell do you turn down a garunteed $160 MMILLION dollars? That just blows my mind...

I agree with you....$160 million....thats crazy.

I think he wanted out of Texas and Atlanta is a perfect fit for him. He played college ball at Tech and i saw an article that stated Chipper Jones was his childhood idol.

Boras is his agent. Perhaps he's been told that he'll make that much in 2 years at a winning franchise.

His wife's family is from the Atlanta area as well. I think he's going to do whatever he can to sign a deal with Atlanta as long as it's in the neighborhood of his market value.

As hard as it may be to believe in this day and age, there are some players willing to sacrifice money to have a chance at success in winning a championship. This was a huge pickup by the braves. 1B has long been a offensive and defensive weakness for them. This sures up both.

Archived