Sports Illustrated article

Bama My Heart

Just wanted you guys to see how wishy washy this guy is. In this article he calls Bama Kings.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ.../cfb.bag/1.html

Ok, you guys are going to kill me. This is the first time I posted a site for you and it's wrong.

Just go to sports illustrated and there is an article where he calls some of us kings and some of us peasants.

Just wanted to correct myself before you guys got a hold of me and really gave me a hard time.

I read Mandel's article's all the time. The fans on this board will say he sucks, but what writer actually gives Auburn credit. As soon as he (or any writer) writes something good about Auburn, they are like "Hey, (insert name here) finally gets it!" Personally, I think he is a great sports writer. He provides great insight, makes some jokes, and he sticks to the topic and explains it! 99% of this board doesn't stick to the question/topic (just like any politician).

They have been discussing this on the radio for a couple days - most people acknowledge OSU, UM, ND, and USC as Kings and that is about it. No one really thinks about Miami and Alabama and whatnots anymore.

It is supposed to represent tradition and national perspective and recent success. Well Bama may have tradition, but no one thinks about them (only Saban these days) and recent success sucks ass. Yale has a lot of tradition as well. UCLA too in basketball - but no one talks about them much more (well UCLA has done better the last couple of years I guess).

Fact is (and I wrote Stewart on this): Perception only goes so far. I'll let people think Alabama are kings anytime in exchange for a 6-7 season.

Here's how Mandel broke down the BCS:

Kings: Bama, Florida, Tenn

Barons: Auburn, Georgia, LSU

Knights: Arkansas, Ole Miss, South Carolina

Peasants: Kentucky, Miss State, Vandy

He noted that Tenn was close to moving down and that LSU was close to moving up.

I actually thought his rankings were pretty accurate. He broke it down like this: what would 100 average fans in a random state (like Montana) know about the program? I'd say that S. Carolina probably deserves to be in the lowest level, they are historically pretty bad, but other than that I can't really argue. Face facts, Bama is one of the most well-known programs in the country, even if we have been regularly whipping their butts.

Archived