from Roll' Bama Roll'

JohnDeere

roll bama roll

Stupid arm-chair UAT coaches.

Though Bob Connelly never got to live out his apparent dream of getting Brodie Croyle or John Parker Wilson killed by sorry O-line coaching, he has at least managed to get UCLA QB Ben Olson seriously injured.

olsonnotredamesacked.jpg

linked to the UCLA blog..bruins

This is from UCLA. QB Ben Olson will have surgery on his left knee.

UCLA quarterback Ben Olson has a partial tear of the lateral collateral ligament in his left knee. As a precaution, Olson will have an arthroscopy on his left knee on Tuesday to check for a possible tear of the lateral meniscus (cartilage). An estimate on his return will not be known until after the procedure.

From the department of "I told you sos (as I bang my head against the wall)" here is once again snipets of a BN post from last Feb, when Dorrell announced the hiring of offensive line coach Bob Connelly:

Bob Connelly has to go. It's unthinkable that a coach working with BCS league talent can't have his players more prepared to play the game than he does. Injuries and inexperience are only excuses for so long, and there's no way any other major football program would stand for it's O-Line giving up 11 sacks in one game like we did in the Iron Bowl. JP is a tough kid, but he's taken way too many hits already and at some point he's going to get hurt having to scramble for his life nearly every down.

That was from our friends at Roll Bama Roll, Crimson Tide bloggers who also shared this on Connelly:

"Fire offensive line coach Bob Connelly. It is incredible how many times Bama's QB has been sacked in the last two years. Even if they aren't getting sacked, they're running for the their lives almost every passing play (which begs the question, why don't we use the shotgun more?)"they are still scrambling every other play, talent might have something to do with it

Tell me once again why should KD be allowed to risk Chris Forcier's career by having him play behind a Connelly coached offensive line that "can't block a soul"?

GO BRUINS.

Our Oline this year versus last year is like night and day...as evidenced by our only 9 sacks allowed through 6 games.

We gave up 28 last season.

.....and the total lack of a ground game really helps.

When John Wilson has to throw the ball 30-40 times a game, what does that tell you?

When you can't get a rushing 1st down to run the last three minutes of clock out on Houston, what does that tell you?

Come back after the UT, LSU, MSU, and Auburn game and throw out some more useless stats to try and prove that the O-Line has improved.

A little hijack here. Yesterday, I got into a discussion with a couple of buddies about what else....Auburn/Alabama football. Both of these guys are big Bama fans and both agreed wholeheartedly.....

"Saban's gonna' HAVE to make some coaching changes at the end of this season."

I just said, You guys are just 6 games into the season under a new coaching staff. Why in the world would you...

NOPE, he's got to make some changes.

You just wonder about folks sometimes.

Our Oline this year versus last year is like night and day...as evidenced by our only 9 sacks allowed through 6 games.

BUt you're not counting the 11 we'll get...that'd make 20 right there...and you still have other games to go. :poke:

:au::homer:

Obviously they have some tough opponents they've yet to play, but to think that their o-line hasn't improved is just not based in reality. First six game comparisons between last year and this year:

2006: 13 sacks for -110 yds (1 sack every 17 attempts)

2007: 9 sacks for -47 yds (1 sack every 19 attempts)

2006: 1321 yds passing on 222 attempts

2007: 1388 yds passing on 171 attempts

2006: 813 yds rushing on 235 attempts, 3.45 yds per carry

2007: 1100 yds rushing on 234 attempts, 4.7 yds per carry

I mean, they aren't the 1995 Cowboys O-line by any stretch, but when you improve your rushing stats on fewer attempts and improve your passing stats on fewer attempts and have less sacks, that spells improvement to me. Bob Connelly was an idiot. Hugh Nall shows what a decent coach can do when you can take a natural center and put him at left tackle and he's one of 3 true freshmen on the line and we're kicking butt on the O-line.

Obviously they have some tough opponents they've yet to play, but to think that their o-line hasn't improved is just not based in reality. First six game comparisons between last year and this year:

I mean, they aren't the 1995 Cowboys O-line by any stretch, but when you improve your rushing stats on fewer attempts and improve your passing stats on fewer attempts and have less sacks, that spells improvement to me. Bob Connelly was an idiot. Hugh Nall shows what a decent coach can do when you can take a natural center and put him at left tackle and he's one of 3 true freshmen on the line and we're kicking butt on the O-line.

UAT's first six games of 2006 (4-2)

Hawaii, Vandy, ULM, Arkansas, Florida, Duke

UAT's first six games of 2007 (4-2)

Western Carolina, Vandy, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida St., Houston

What's your point?

All I know is if there's a Britt on Bama's line next year.....

I'm calling Shenanigans!!!!

Actually, I would love to see him again next year. He treats D-linemen like a matador with a cape!

9 + 15 (vs LSU) = getting closer to 28.

Bama hasn't played the better defensive teams on its schedule yet.

Are you trying to imply that the Catamounts won't get after yo' ayuss?

Are you trying to imply that the Catamountscoonasses won't get after yo' ayuss?

What's your point?

What's yours? I would say those schedules are about equivalent. Last year they had two good opponents in Arky and Florida, this year they had three in Arky, FSU and Georgia. But that's offset by having W. Carolina instead of Hawaii. Then again Houston > Duke.

The point: Bob Connelly sucks as an offensive line coach, Chris Capps should concentrate on his degree and bammer's O-line is better than last year's version. Why is this even up for dispute?

What's your point?

the point is, the offensive line IS in fact better than last year. just because our record is not better does not mean the O-Line is worse or has not improved. do you think thats how coaches grade out players?

What's your point?

What's yours? I would say those schedules are about equivalent. Last year they had two good opponents in Arky and Florida, this year they had three in Arky, FSU and Georgia. But that's offset by having W. Carolina instead of Hawaii. Then again Houston > Duke.

The point: Bob Connelly sucks as an offensive line coach, Chris Capps should concentrate on his degree and bammer's O-line is better than last year's version. Why is this even up for dispute?

No, what's your point?

I posted some idiot bammer's blog comments, where he re-stated the opinion of the majority of the bammers....UAT's offensive struggles last year was due to the prior offensive line coach's incompetence. My point it is stupid to blame ONE man of the failure of five O-linemen and the tightend. They have the SAME kids this year and they are basically playing the same type of football.

Some UATer posts some useless stat about sacks and you produce some more useless stats to concur that the UAT offense has improved due to better offensive line play. I really don't give a flip who they play on the O-line or who is coaching them. It is typical to watch them run around blogging and posting junk on the internet bashing anybody that ever earned a paycheck from the THEIR athletic dept, just because they aren't there now.

Bob Connely was the common thread with all of our Oline woes...that started the day Fran left. One thing we had under Fran was a solid Oline. Mike Price hired Bob, and Shula held him over.

Shula refused to fire the guy...but it's obvious that the dude had no idea what he was doing.

Chris Capps made it through half a practice as the starter with the new staff.

What's your point?

No, what's your point?

I posted some idiot bammer's blog comments, where he re-stated the opinion of the majority of the bammers....UAT's offensive struggles last year was due to the prior offensive line coach's incompetence. My point it is stupid to blame ONE man of the failure of five O-linemen and the tightend. They have the SAME kids this year and they are basically playing the same type of football.

Some UATer posts some useless stat about sacks and you produce some more useless stats to concur that the UAT offense has improved due to better offensive line play. I really don't give a flip who they play on the O-line or who is coaching them. It is typical to watch them run around blogging and posting junk on the internet bashing anybody that ever earned a paycheck from the THEIR athletic dept, just because they aren't there now.

Haven't you heard? All of uat's current problems belong to flipper. I guess sabear can't do what he was paid $4 mil to do....coach! :poke::lol::lol::lol:

Haven't you heard? All of uat's current problems belong to flipper. I guess sabear can't do what he was paid $4 mil to do....coach! :poke::lol::lol::lol:

He's busy recruiting "lights out" for the next guy....

What's your point?

No, what's your point?

My point it is stupid to blame ONE man of the failure of five O-linemen and the tightend. They have the SAME kids this year and they are basically playing the same type of football.

Titan's point is obvious. You even made his point with that sentence. Bama has the SAME kids this year and they have improved offensive numbers with less attempts. Something that doesn't show up in the improved stats through six games is how many times the TE runs a route compared to last year. Our TEs last year were primarily blockers. This year they are not. We also played a fullback on almost every snap last year to help block. This year the position is almost non-existant.

My point is the same as Titan's. The offensive line has improved.

One more fact to show the o-line has improved.

Bama's 07 redzone offense through 6 games.

22-24 92%

16 of those have been touchdowns.

22-24 92%

How many of those red zone TD's were scored against top 50 defenses?

22-24 92%

We were stuffed last year on the goal line by Duke and Florida International. We were stuffed on the goal line by Tennessee 3 plays in a row last year.

I'm not saying that we are world beaters, I'm saying that our oline sucked last year against EVERY opponent. I'm certain Duke and Florida International weren't ranked as a top 50 defense last year, but I can do some research on it.

Comparing the numbers to last years...we weren't scoring red zone TDs on Duke and FIU.

I have to give it to the bammers here.

Their O-line play is getting a bit better and JPW is stepping up in the pocket some to alleviate pressure that gets around the back side.

Things aren't amazing, but small steps gain small rewards. Id say their Redzone offense is a lot better this year but they don't seem to be getting to the red zone as often.

Can someone look the stats up? It always seemed the bama team last year would carve up 50-60 yards really quick then stifle in the last 20 due to a dead ground game and more pass rush from a smaller field to protect.

Can someone look the stats up? It always seemed the bama team last year would carve up 50-60 yards really quick then stifle in the last 20 due to a dead ground game and more pass rush from a smaller field to protect.

I don't know the stats, but I know you are right.

Archived