Senior Class and Current Recruits

Eagle's Claw

Why is our Senior class so small? I don't recall having a down year in recruiting since Jetgate. Which brings me to my second question - Why is our recruiting so far behind other SEC schools (AL, UGA, TN, FL)? I realize there are a few months before signing day, BUT we are currently much weaker than other comparable schools in the conference.

:au: How do you know we are much weaker than other sec schools? Is that based on numbers, stars, or both? I look at our list and see a lot of good players. I recently heard an analyst (maybe an espn guy) say that the Auburn coaches are one of the best evaluators of talent in the country. He said we may not get a lot of 4 and 5 star players (for what thats worth), but they will coach them into great players. I would not worry about recruiting (see our SEC record the last 5 years). These coaches know what kind of players they need and they know how to coach them (see the # of AU guys playing on Sunday). :au:

Of the 25 signed in 2003, 1 is JUCO transfer plays one season

25 were on the roster in 2003,

17 were on the roster fall 2004, 6 did not redshirt, 1 received a medical redshirt,

16 were on the roster in 2005, 1 enters the NFL draft, 1 transfers to USF

12 were on the roster in 2006, 5 Seniors, 7 Juniors

8 are on the roster, 1 Sr from 2006 received a medical redshirt, 1 has career ending injury in preseason

You have to look at the big picture.

Some more analysis:

28 signed, 1 is on the roster in 2007

25 signed, 8 are on roster in 2007

26 signed, 14 are on roster in 2007

20 signed, 14 are on roster in 2007

25 signed, 23 are on roster in 2007, 1 has transferred in 2007 season

30 signed, 20 are on roster in 2007,

i keep hearing "auburn is behind! auburn is behind!" so i finally went and looked at the class... am i missing something?

we're bringing back a lot of guys that we signed before (enrique davis, tim lamb, charles deas, and most likely jermaine johnson) who are almost all extremely highly rated now (some were not out of high school which continues to show that our coaches know what they are looking at). there is a possibility that patrick trahan will be back. we've got another top notch tailback committed (hunt), a receiver who will be the fastest guy on the team the moment he hits town (harry adams), two solid corner recruits that have size and speed, and a number of other guys that OUR COACHES (the ones who routinely find needles in the haystack every single year) offered and pursued.

look at our current team (according to scout.com): sen'derrick marks (2 stars), antonio coleman (3 stars), quentin groves (3 stars), michael goggans (3 stars), pat sims (3 stars), josh thompson (3 stars), mike blanc (2 stars), jake ricks (4 stars) – one guy above 3 stars, 2 under

tray blackmon (5 stars), chris evans (1 star), craig stevens (3 stars), merrill johnson (2 stars), bo harris (4 stars), courtney harden (2 stars) – 2 over, 3 under

zac etheridge (3 stars), aairon savage (3 stars), eric brock (2 stars), michael mcneil (4 stars), jerraud powers (3 stars), jonothan wilhite (2 stars), pat lee (3 stars) – 1 over, 2 under

king dunlap (3 stars), tyronne green (2 stars), jason bosley (2 stars), mike berry (3 stars), lee ziemba (4 stars), ryan pugh (4 stars), chaz ramsey (4 stars) – 3 over, 2 under

carl stewart (1 star), brad lester (3 stars), ben tate (4 stars), mario fannin (4 stars), tristan davis (3 stars) – 2 over, 1 under

rod smith (walk-on... probably 1 star), robert dunn (2 stars), montez billings (3 stars), pre rodriguez (3 stars), tim hawthorne (4 stars), chris slaughter (4 stars) – 2 over, 2 under

cole bennett (3 stars), gabe mckenzie (4 stars), tommy trott (4 stars) – 2 over

brandon cox (4 stars), kodi burns (5 stars), blake field (2 stars) – 2 over, 1 under

so that's a long look at where our guys graded out in high school. in all of our rotations, we're playing 15 guys that were 4/5 stars and 13 guys that were 1/2 stars. that tells me that we're almost as likely to see a guy like drew cole (2 star commitment at corner) starting as we are charles deas (4 star commit at defensive tackle). and the funny thing is to look at home many of these guys changed positions. bottom line, our coaches know what they are doing. if we offer a guy, that's a better testimony to his talent and potential than any recruiting service.

as long we're getting the guys our coaches want, we're not behind anyone in the sec in recruiting.

:au: How do you know we are much weaker than other sec schools? Is that based on numbers, stars, or both? I look at our list and see a lot of good players. I recently heard an analyst (maybe an espn guy) say that the Auburn coaches are one of the best evaluators of talent in the country. He said we may not get a lot of 4 and 5 star players (for what thats worth), but they will coach them into great players. I would not worry about recruiting (see our SEC record the last 5 years). These coaches know what kind of players they need and they know how to coach them (see the # of AU guys playing on Sunday). :au:

Prime example is Dontarious Thomas. He was offered an academic scholarship to Ga Southern, and Auburn was the only school to offer him a Football scholarship. He was one of our best LB's in recent years.

Archived