Sunny Perdue prays for rain

Defense(clap clap)

So I guess this is what it's come to. The ineptness of our govt makes them turn to God in public. And just a year ago he was asking to have more water released from Lake Lanier for the endagered sturgeon and mussels. Amazing.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/sto...rayer_1114.html

No surprise they chose to put on this dog/pony show the day before a cold front was to slide down across the state. Forecasters are expecting a whopping 1/4" of rain..

Thanks, God ! :thumbsup:

Looks like the prayer worked. It's raining pretty hard here in N. Atlanta right now. I'd rather have a governor who prays instead of one who does not. If you don't like him, move to Alabama. Then you can pray that he lets enough water go downstream that you can survive..... :pc:

Maybe he should pray for better zoning in the Atlanta area.

We can zone and rezone to our hearts content, but that won't change the fact that we're in the middle of an actual drought.

We can zone and rezone to our hearts content, but that won't change the fact that we're in the middle of an actual drought.

Drought or not, two lakes cannot sustain a sprawling city approaching a population of 5 million people(metro Atlanta) and provide water for Fla and Alabama unless they're Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. And the govt's push for more and more non-sustainable growth is one of the main reason's we're in the situation we're in - Mega neighborhood after mega neighborhood in the suburbs and more condo's in the city than there are people to buy them. We've been in a drought for a while now, but that didn't stop Purdue from pandering to special interests in the last year or two and asking for more water to be released from the lake. It just blows my mind that we're in the situation that we are now and he goes and makes this spectical on the steps of the capital as if to say, don't blame me for the situation we're in if it doesn't rain now, I mean, I asked God to bail me out.

And I'm not saying there's a problem with praying by any means - I've said quite a few for rain recently - but to take it to the public level that he has and basically sweep the problem "off his shoulders," just amazes me.

Drought or not, two lakes cannot sustain a sprawling city approaching a population of 5 million people(metro Atlanta) and provide water for Fla and Alabama unless they're Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. And the govt's push for more and more non-sustainable growth is one of the main reason's we're in the situation we're in - Mega neighborhood after mega neighborhood in the suburbs and more condo's in the city than there are people to buy them. We've been in a drought for a while now, but that didn't stop Purdue from pandering to special interests in the last year or two and asking for more water to be released from the lake. It just blows my mind that we're in the situation that we are now and he goes and makes this spectical on the steps of the capital as if to say, don't blame me for the situation we're in if it doesn't rain now, I mean, I asked God to bail me out.

And I'm not saying there's a problem with praying by any means - I've said quite a few for rain recently - but to take it to the public level that he has and basically sweep the problem "off his shoulders," just amazes me.

Absolutely. I have in-laws in Atlanta, and they've been on watering restrictions for several years now. So it's not as if this crisis snuck up on the state. The problem is that Atlanta has yet to see a development or a golf course that it didn't like, so Florida and Alabama have to pay the price for Atlanta's wholesale lack of civic planning.

Well not only that, but Atlanta has a very shoddy water system that leaks and otherwise wastes tons of water. Plus, they haven't been very proactive in requiring certain water conserving technologies in new developments.

Frankly, I think it's unacceptable in general that more homes aren't required to have some sort of "greywater" system that recovers waste water from the homes (from sinks, dishwashers, washing machines...basically all used water except for toilets and that from garbage disposals), treats it, then uses that water for outdoor uses like watering lawns and plants. This greywater accounts for anywhere between 50-80% of the waste water the average household produces. Can you imagine how much better we would all be off if new housing developments were required to have this kind of technology? Yes, it would bump up the price of houses initially. But then again, the benefit to us would be paid back over time in terms of lower water bills and lower costs for municipalities in having to treat more and more water for residents (resulting also in lower water bills and lower taxes).

Bottom line: we can't keep living like things will just magically fix themselves forever. At some point we have to stop ignoring everything conservationists and enviromentalists say simply because of the guilt by association thing with the lunatic greenie element.

Archived