• Darren McFadden
    • Dennis Dixon
    • Tim Tebow
    • Matt Ryan
    • Colt Brennan
    • Pat White
    • Matt Forte
    • Kevin Smith

To me, the choice is Tebow. He has been the most outstanding player in college football this year. D-Mac is a very good player, and one of the best RBs in the SEC in a long time, but Tebow has done things no one has ever done. 26 passing TDs and 20 rushing TDs. 68% completion ratio. Only six interceptions. Are you kidding?

It sucks that the two best options are both from the South. Heisman voting is often very regional, and I am worried Tebow and Heisman are going to split votes and the winner will be an inferior player (like the QBs from Kansas or Missouri).

Lots of very good discussion on this topic.

I fear the same thing. The vote in the Southeast could be split between Tebow and DMac. That could open the door for someone like Daniel to win it. I doubt that however. I think its really a 2 man race right now between Tebow and DMac they are on a different level than everyone else. Should be interesting to see how it unfolds, but like Tigermike I think the media crush on Tebow and the fact that DMac is a quiet, soft-spoken kind of guy gives Tebow an edge

I voted for Colt Brennan. Did anybody else watch the Boise St/Hawaii game? Ain't nobody flinging the ball around the field like this guy is -- now, or for the past 3 years. He absolutely destroyed #19 BSU on Friday throwing for 495 yards. They took a knee at the BSU 1-yd line as time expired. I found myself, after watching him play a while, just expecting him to connect with a receiver on every pass thrown. He also broke the 3-year record for TDs held by former Heisman winner, Ty Detmer: the record was 121, it now stands at 126 (and counting.) His 3-year total for passing yardage so far is over 13,500 yds. You do the math. {Dayum. Just, dayum.}

So, Timmy Tebow is responsible for 40+ TDs this year? That's very nice. Brennan set the record last year at 58. This year he only has 33. He did not play against one of the Div II games on thier schedule due to a sprained ankle, and last week he did have to sit out due to a concussion early in the game (he only threw 2 passes but completed both.) Hawaii still has one more game to play next week against Washington. Also currently, Hawaii is the WAC Champion and sporting a perfect 11-0 record.

I know the Heisman is supposed to be for the current year and all, but if statistics are going to be cited as a reason for voting for a candidate ... it's pretty dang hard to ignore what Colt Brennan has accomplished in only 3 years at UH.

If Tim Tebow doesn't win the Heisman this year they should stop giving the award!

TIM TEBOW STATS

Passing Stats

CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

217 317 68.5 3132 9.9 29 66 6 177.8

Rushing Stats

838 yards and 22 tds

3970 total yards 51 total touchdowns= Heisman winner.

He has scored more points this year than 55 D-1 teams?

DMac.

Better person, better player, less constant media bobo honking.

That's just wrong. Just because you don't like the kid, doesn't mean he is a bad person. He is actually, despite all the hype, a really good kid. Now he may be a bit cocky...

Although like most of us, I would doubt you know much about either kids personal life...

Makes me want to barf, but Tebow IS the most outstanding individual player to me this year. I hate it, I hate it, I HATE IT. But true is true. D-mac has been stopped this season, and if they had won more games behind his great play, then maybe I could see it swing that way, but I think we're in for a Tebow Heisman award.

JMO....

WITH tebow they've lost 3 games... The only reason he's got the #'s he's got is because UF has nobody else that can run the ball. He has nearly twice the rushing attempts of their 2nd leading ball carrier. I would expect big numbers from someone that touched the ball 470 times. After tomorrows game with FSU, tebow will easily be over 500 touches (pass attempts/rushes). McFadden, meanwhile, had 272 carries coming in to todays game, and we add 32 to that, so we have 302 carries and 1519 (net yards) + 205 today = 1724 yards, while his teammate in the backfield is also over 1,000 yards rushing and over 100 carries, coming in to today. That's OVER 200 more touches than McFadden. You are right, I haven't thought about the "mvp award" as you call it at all. That's not what the heisman is awarded for. It's awarded for the BEST PLAYER IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL, and that is, without a doubt, Darren McFadden. It's not even close.

Right and Arkansas's lost FOUR. And couldn't you also say that the only reason why McFadden is putting up such gawdy numbers is because Arkansas doesn't have a passing game?

Tebow, meanwhile on that team that only has Tebow as a player, has completed almost 70% of his passes. 2860 passing yards with 26 TDs and 6 ints. He's got 741 yards rushing with 20 tds.

3601 total yards, 46 tds.

Sorry, bud. When you're looking at it statistically, it's very close. I understand that McFadden is an amazing player and definitely one of the best RBs of all time. I don't deny that. However, the Maxwell Award is for the best player based on talent. The Heisman is supposed to be the MVP award. The most valuable player. Who's the #1 player that every head coach would pick first? It'd be a close race, but I have to go with the guy who is second in the nation is passing efficiency and also has 20 rushing tds.

Sorry, but you are totally WRONG.... The heisman has nothing to do with being the MVP. NOTHING. A little research will do you a world of good.

The Heisman Memorial Trophy Award (often known simply as the Heisman Trophy or The Heisman), named after former college football player and coach John Heisman, is awarded annually to the most outstanding collegiate football player in the U.S. Although not the only award honoring the best player in college football, it is considered the most prestigious individual player honor in American college football. It is awarded in December before the postseason bowl games.

This says absolutely NOTHING about being an MVP of anything.

I'm really confused at how Tebow being responsible for his entire team's offense is a knock against him being the most valuable player.

After todays game he will have combined passing and rushing well OVER 500 touches on the season. What kind of yardage and TD's would mcfadden have with over 500 touches or even just half of those that went to Jones instead of mcfadden. If florida had any kind of running game do you think he would still have the kind of numbers he has? No. Is tebow a good player, sure. Heisman material, absolutely not.

Define "outstanding."

And by saying the most "outstanding" player in college football, you've totally refuted your own argument. Tebow has been nothing short of outstanding in every single game this year. Let's see how Tebow did in his team's losses:

Auburn - 2 tds, 276 total yards.

LSU - 3 tds, 225 total yards.

Georgia - 3 tds, 211 total yards.

D-Mac?

Alabama - 2 tds, 211 total yards.

Kentucky - 1 td, 183 total yards.

Auburn - 0 tds, 53 total yards.

Tennessee - 0 tds, 134 total yards.

Tebow has performed well in every single game this season and has scored a majority of his team's points.

And all of your "If D-Mac got this many carries" or "If Tebow had a running game" crap makes no point. There's no "if" in football unless you're the University of Alabama. I really don't understand how you can criticize a player for carry his team on his shoulders. Sounds like a pretty "outstanding" feat to me.

Archived