Kerry to endorse Obama

RunInRed

I find this a very interesting to move. I would not have predicted how some of the establishment, unions and other powerful Dems are lining up behind Obama. I would have thought for sure that this support would have gone to Hillary.

----------------------------------

Former 2004 presidential hopeful Sen. John Kerry will endorse Sen. Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination, two sources told CNN Thursday.

The announcement will come at 2 p.m. in Charleston, S.C., the sources said.

"(Kerry) remains one of the most popular figures in the Democratic Party and (has) an e-mail list with millions of addresses," an Obama source said.

Kerry ran in 2004 on the Democratic ticket with former Sen. John Edwards, who is running this year for party's presidential nomination.

I find this a very interesting to move. I would not have predicted how some of the establishment, unions and other powerful Dems are lining up behind Obama. I would have thought for sure that this support would have gone to Hillary.

Former 2004 presidential hopeful Sen. John Kerry will endorse Sen. Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination, two sources told CNN Thursday.

"(Kerry) remains one of the most popular figures in the Democratic Party and (has) an e-mail list with millions of addresses," an Obama source said.

Kerry ran in 2004 on the Democratic ticket with former Sen. John Edwards, who is running this year for party's presidential nomination.

To me, it's a natural result of the stultifying effects the Clintons have had on the Democratic Party power structure, as well as the enemies the Clintons have made within the Democratic Party.

I think Kerry is still miffed at the lukewarm endorsement he received from the Clinton people, chiefly because they were already anticipating Hillary's 2008 run. Kerry in the Oval Office would have forced Hillary to put off her bid for the presidency until 2012. So it makes all the sense in the world that he would choose to thwart them out of spite.

As far as the Unions go, this isn't surprising either. Unions have long memories, and they haven't forgotten how Bill Clinton backed NAFTA over their strident objections.

So basically, Kerry and the Unions are settling old scores.

Good points. The timing is also interesting - after her NH win....trying to stop this ball before it gets rolling too fast down hill.

I would consider this actually beneficial for Clinton. Kerry is so far left he can't see straight anymore, that is when his head is not up Ted Kennedy's arse! :poke:

More seriously, I guess at this point you take what support you can get. This would only help Obama in the primaries (especially in the north), but in my opinion it does not support his ideas of change and working both sides of the isle.

Also interesting is the dems response to Hillary's win in NH.

Check out this post over at DailyKos, and note the accompanying poll on whether the New Hampshire primary was rigged by those evil, Hillary-loving dudes at Diebold.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/1/9/134...8188/515/433738

It's not so surprising that Kerry would endorse Obama. Kerry is just being a dem and at present the dems are angry that Hillary had the audacity to win in NH. The audacity to steal the NH primary? What you are witnessing is the neurosis and fickleness of the political left, who just a short time ago adored the Clinton's and could bear nothing bad be said about their legacy in the White House. Actually, the anger that many on the left are currently directing at the Clinton's post-New Hampshire, and that we on the right are observing with mixed astonishment and amusement--is in many ways, quite remarkable. Those of us from the conservative side of things have had a long tradition of dislike of the Clinton's -- husband and wife. Sometimes this dislike has become so intense and overpowering that it has clouded -- or at least impeded rational judgments about either.

No wonder Hillary cried in public. She has been betrayed by the Democrats and the left in the same casual way her fickle husband has been betraying her throughout their marriage. Kerry is just jumping on the bandwagon.

Here is the email Kerry sent out to his 3M+ distribution list:

Martin Luther King said, "The time is always right to do what is right." So I'm choosing this time to share an important decision I've made, one I believe is right for this country.

The JohnKerry.com community has been very important to me and very important to the Democratic resurgence over the last couple of years, so I wanted to let all of you know my decision before I confirm it with anyone else. I want to share with you my conviction that in a field of fine Democratic candidates, the next President of the United States can be, should be, and will be Barack Obama. Each of our candidates would make a fine President, and we are blessed with a strong field. But for this moment, at this time in our nation's history, Barack Obama is the right choice.

Please join me in supporting Barack Obama's candidacy.

I'm proud to have helped introduce Barack to our nation when I asked him to speak to our national convention, and there Barack's words and vision burst out. On that day he reminded Americans that our "true genius is faith in simple dreams, an insistence on small miracles." And with his leadership we can build simple dreams, and we can turn millions of small miracles into real change for our country.

At this particular moment, with our country faced with great challenges in our economy, in our environment, and in our foreign policy, and with our politics torn by division, Barack Obama can bring transformation to our country. With Barack, we can build a new majority of Americans from all regions who can turn the page on the politics of Karl Rove and begin a new politics, one worthy of our nation's history and promise. We can bring millions of disaffected people – young and old – to the great task of governing and making a difference, child to child, community to community.

Please click here to give what you can to Barack Obama's campaign for President and help build this future for our country.

The moment is now, and the candidate for this moment is Barack Obama. Like him, I also lived abroad as a young man, and I share with him a healthy respect for the advantage of knowing other cultures and countries, not from a book or a briefing, but by personal experience, by gut, by instinct. He knows the issues from the deep study of a legislator, and he knows them from a life lived outside of Washington. His is the wisdom of real-world experience combined with the intellect of a man who has thought deeply about the challenges we face.

History has given us this moment. But we need to decide what to do with it. I believe, with this moment, we should make Barack Obama President of the United States.

Please join me in supporting his campaign.

Thank you,

John Kerry

OBama needs to get Tom from Myspace to be his endorser that guys has way more millions of email addresses than Kerry.

Endorse him, fine. Just please don't advise him.

Hahaha. No kidding. Boy, that was the most incompetent presidential campaign I've ever seen.

Forget about Al Gore?

Nah. I think Gore was tainted by association with the Clintons and the country was probably ready to elect a Republican. In 2004, the country was already uneasy about Bush. It should have been a walk, especially after Bush's God-awful performance in the debates that year. Seriously, it was excruciating to watch the president in that debate. After that, I walked into the voting booth and had to flip a coin--my choices were that terrible.

Hahaha. No kidding. Boy, that was the most incompetent presidential campaign I've ever seen.

Forget about Al Gore?

Nah. I think Gore was tainted by association with the Clintons and the country was probably ready to elect a Republican. In 2004, the country was already uneasy about Bush. It should have been a walk, especially after Bush's God-awful performance in the debates that year. Seriously, it was excruciating to watch the president in that debate. After that, I walked into the voting booth and had to flip a coin--my choices were that terrible.

Gore ran from the successes of the Clinton/Gore administration. Clinton had a 65% approval rating. Gore was getting fashion advice about wearing earth tones. His loss belongs to him...and the person who designed the butterfly ballot. B)

Forget about Al Gore?

Gore ran from the successes of the Clinton/Gore administration. Clinton had a 65% approval rating. Gore was getting fashion advice about wearing earth tones. His loss belongs to him...and the person who designed the butterfly ballot. B)

Yep. The infamous butterfly ballot. Please, for the love of God and all that's holy, let's don't rehash THAT.

I think people just liked Clinton. That's it. Presidential approval ratings don't necessarily correlate to party success at the midterm polls:

Year Pres Party Approval House Results

1938 Roosevelt D 52 -76.5

1942 Roosevelt D 70 -46

1946 Truman D 33 -54.5

1950 Truman D 41 -28

1954 Eisenhower R 61 -18.5

1958 Eisenhower R 57 -48.5

1962 Kennedy D 62 -3

1966 Johnson D 44 -47.5

1970 Nixon R 58 -12

1974* Ford (Nixon) R 54(24)

1978 Carter D 49 -15

1982 Reagan R 42 -26.5

1986 Reagan R 63 -5

1990 Bush I R 58 -8

1994 Clinton D 45.5 -54

1998 Clinton D 64 +5

2002 Bush II R 62 +8

All that being said, you may be right. Looking back at opinion polls, the Bush/Kerry voter preference was pretty much a dead heat in 2004, which means that Kerry at least stayed competitive. On the other hand, Gore enjoyed a 17 point advantage prior to the Republican convention when Bush nominated Cheney.

Of course, by October 2000, it was apparent that the economy was sliding into recession, due in large part to the stock market's slow collapse. Not sure Gore could have done much about that, but I think it was a factor.

Forget about Al Gore?

Yep. The infamous butterfly ballot. Please, for the love of God and all that's holy, let's don't rehash THAT.

I think people just liked Clinton. That's it. Presidential approval ratings don't necessarily correlate to party success at the midterm polls:

Year Pres Party Approval House Results

1938 Roosevelt D 52 -76.5

1942 Roosevelt D 70 -46

1946 Truman D 33 -54.5

1950 Truman D 41 -28

1954 Eisenhower R 61 -18.5

1958 Eisenhower R 57 -48.5

1962 Kennedy D 62 -3

1966 Johnson D 44 -47.5

1970 Nixon R 58 -12

1974* Ford (Nixon) R 54(24)

1978 Carter D 49 -15

1982 Reagan R 42 -26.5

1986 Reagan R 63 -5

1990 Bush I R 58 -8

1994 Clinton D 45.5 -54

1998 Clinton D 64 +5

2002 Bush II R 62 +8

No need to rehash, as long it is recognized as being significant:

As the nation waits for a recount in Florida to decide who the next president will be, all eyes are focused on Palm Beach County, the liberal, Democratic stronghold that gave Reform Party candidate Pat Buchanan a surprising 3,407 votes -- more than three times the votes the ultraconservative candidate received in any other Florida county, and almost 20 percent of his total in the state.

Three Palm Beach voters sued late Wednesday to force another vote in the county, alleging that the badly designed ballot was illegal and caused Democrats to cast their votes for Buchanan when they were trying to vote for Vice President Al Gore. Even Buchanan jumped into the fray Thursday, telling NBC's "Today" that "it seems to me that these 3,000 votes people are talking about -- most of those are probably not my vote and that may be enough to give the margin to Mr. Gore."

Even Pat Buchanan recognized those votes weren't intended for him.

http://archive.salon.com/politics/feature/...vote/index.html

But you mentioned Dubya's pathetic debate performance against Kerry. Bush was much better against Gore. And Gore sighed heavily, droned on about the lock box, walked over into Dubya's space, made silly mistatements, etc.

But there's no real need to argue over which campaign was more inept. Can't we just agree that both were pathetic? B)

From The Onion:

Bush Begins Preparations For Nation's Final Year

JANUARY 5, 2008 | ISSUE 44•02

WASHINGTON—As his last term in office winds to a close, President Bush has directed White House aids and Cabinet staff to begin preparing for 2008, the nation's 232nd and final year in existence.

"My fellow Americans, it has been an honor to be your last president," said Bush during a televised address Tuesday, assuring citizens he would do everything possible over the next few months to promote a smooth transition into utter oblivion. "I want you all to know that I do not intend to let what precious little time we have left go to waste. That's why I ask all citizens to pull together and follow me, so we can accomplish everything we've ever wanted to before it all crumbles around us in a terrible belch of smoke and ash."

Added Bush, "It's now or never, people. No regrets."

As part of his ambitious 11-and-a-half-month plan, Bush has prioritized winning the War on Terror in order to secure Iraq's stability in a world where the U.S. is nothing more than a fleeting memory. Additionally, he has urged Congress to block upcoming stem-cell legislation "just in case," and has set aside the months of April and May to get in touch with all countries the U.S. has wronged in the past and apologize, and default on America's $9.16 trillion dollar international debt with a wild spending spree, respectively.

A special executive committee has also been formed to draft the country's final words.

In response to critics who claim Bush is a lame duck and plans to pass the responsibility of helplessly watching the collapse of society onto the next president, Bush said he is "still the commander in chief," and remains dedicated to solidifying America's legacy before the darkness takes hold.

"I am committed to making this the best damn Swan Song the world has ever seen," said Bush, after enclosing a copy of the Constitution and a recipe for corn dogs in an air-tight titanium capsule to be placed just across the Canadian border. "I know this looks like the end—and it is—but I intend to go out with a bang. Now, who's with me?"

The president held a special America Wrap-Up press conference with members of the international press earlier today, where he spoke frankly with reporters and gave out long, heartfelt hugs. Bush also took time from his hectic schedule of staring blankly into the gaping maw of absolute dissolution to reflect on the country's past and look forward to its 281-day future.

"Our great nation will be a shining, then blinking, then slowly fading beacon to the world," Bush said. "As our time as a sovereign country with borders and currency comes to a close, let us hope we will be remembered for all the great things we accomplished, and not for the 1960s."

"We sure did have some good times, didn't we?" Bush added.

To help the members of Congress pass the time until both houses are a jagged shell of concrete and marble, looted of valuables by roving bands of nomadic warlords to sell for spears and kerosene, Bush submitted to the Senate a short list of what he called "Dream Projects" to be carried out in the tenuous weeks following Dec. 9, 2008. The nation's last acts include approving one final all-encompassing tax break, launching a nationwide skydiving initiative, reducing carbon emissions by 1 percent over the next decade, and writing his memoirs.

Members of the Bush Administration have consulted with top officials from the CIA, the FBI, NASA, the USDA, the Centers for Disease Control, noted scholars on the myth of Narcissus, a Chernobyl survivor, and the International Atomic Energy Agency to determine if the U.S. will indeed have time to carry out its final wishes. Bush, however, has instructed all Americans "not to get [their] hopes up."

The Democrats, who will hold a majority in the House and Senate until the rule of law is supplanted by an especially savage series of blood feuds, have promised to work with the president for whatever it's worth.

"None of that matters now, don't you see?" Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said. "What will it matter how many Kyoto Protocols we didn't sign or whether we're going to invade Iran in March? Have any of you ever seen a sunset—I mean really seen it?"

While Congress continues to assist the president as we hurdle toward what is known in Norse mythology as Ragnarök or "Doom of the Gods," some have expressed anger at Washington's perceived unwillingness to take action in the face of the coming wall of fire.

"Are we just going to sit back and wait for January?" said Chelsea Furlong, a Tennessee resident and uninsured mother of three. "That's going to take forever. My branch is closing next month—can't we just get it over with then?"

Any chance there will be a commercial showing Kerry and Obama on a cigarette boat running across the Great Lakes delivering blow to Chicago? :roflol:

Now that was funny. :thumbsup::thumbsup: LegalEagle

They could be dressed as Crockett and Tubbs to appeal to a younger generation.

Archived